“Old world” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Palace Hotel

You added El Palace Hotel to your Saves list
El Palace Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes, 668, 08010 Barcelona, Spain (Eixample)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #7 of 518 Hotels in Barcelona
Sydney, Australia
“Old world”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

This hotel was very old world - from the drapes and curtains to the amenities. We were lucky to meet a young lady (Julie) who was extremely helpful and loved to engage in a chat or a recommendation. She was brilliant. The breakfast was actually fairly standard - nothing special. We had dinner in Caelis attached to the hotel and that experience was special. I enjoyed the hotel but to be honest it felt more like a place for my Nana and Grandpa to be staying. Old world for the older generation.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

Back in the 1920's...

My first taste of Barcelona...
I just had an overnight stay on 12/20/14,few days after my birthday and few days after my long trip from Tokyo.
I have been fascinated with classical luxury...so when I discover El Palace,
I know it right then that I will definitely wanted to be a part of it's history.
So,arriving at the hotel after I checked in,I met Julie,one of the sweetest lady I've ever met.
She gave me a quick hotel tour from the grand lobby all the way to my room.
Plus!I got a surprise birthday gift...a bottle of wine and an upgrade!
So cool!

The moment I step into the hotel
I've wished of living there for the rest of my life...
Everything is a work of art.

Sasaki,Armelanie

• Stayed December 2014
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

My wife and I spent 3 nights at El Palace having booked it via the Leading Hotels website.

On arrival we met Julie who had recently spent 6 months in Sydney and was excited to meet two Aussies. Julie proceeded to spoil us with her service ensuring we had everything we needed and organising a cake for my birthday.

We were upgraded as a result of the Leading Hotels connection and were given a very good sized suite with a bathroom that housed a Roman bath.

The hotel has a lovely vintage feel about it and is small enough to almost be regarded as boutique. The service gives it a homely familiar feel that puts you at ease.

Caelis, the Michelin star restaurant, was excellent ( reviewed separately) but we were a little underwhelmed by the buffet breakfast on offer. It lacked a certain Wow that comes with 5 star hotels. The breakfast room was delightful, not unlike a large summer room that one might find in an old manor.

We were given two recommendations/suggestions by staff that were in error ( eg, visit a museum but it was a Monday when all museums are shut) otherwise the staff were very generous in their recommendations.

We will happily recommend the hotel to others and would likely stay there again if we do return to Barca.

Tip: join the Leading Hotels group before booking due to the benefits they come with it, eg, upgrades when available, complimentary breakfast ( continental) and an arrival amenity.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The hotel used to be the Ritz so you can imagine the charm. It was as if my wife and I had been transported back to the 1920. The fine detail and lavish opulence has been perfectly maintained, from the elegant and guilted feel of the huge lobby and lounge to the wallpaper and ruffled curtains. The location is first rate and the gothic old town is a 10min flat walk. In classic old fashioned style the lounge area was bedecked with 4 huge Xmas trees with the lighting low key. Each of the fireplaces the same. Absolutely took our breathe away. Stunning and elegant yet maintaining a relaxed feel. Absolutely enchanting!! The slight negative was the room. We were on the second floor and the hotel is located on a busy road. If I was to return I would insist on a higher floor room to minimise the noise

• Stayed December 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

“My wife and I stayed at El Palace in November, 2014. The hotel’s rooms, lobby, service are all top notch. The bathrooms are palatial. What’s remarkable about the hotel are two women dedicated to “guest relations”. Katherine and Julie enriched our stay. They gave us advice about where to go, and booked our destinations. When we asked questions they couldn’t answer they researched them and gave us the answer the next day. Katherine and Julie are El Palace treasures. Their ability, enthusiasm, and kindness made our stay at El Palace memorable.”

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and i stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and had a great stay ! The staff are really good an efficient ! I enjoyed the downstairs jazz club where a blues band was playing that night .Real luxury in the centre of Barcelona close to everything .

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Vail, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Our recent stay was probably our fifth time here in the last few years; this time was for five nights.
If I have my history correct, this hotel was one of the original Ritz in Europe in the early 20th century . The hotel has been updated & has great wifi + other accessories. The El Palace is a true luxury hotel in a beautiful & fun city . We used the concierge a number of times & were very cordial as well as helpful. In addition we enjoy a morning jog & the doorman ( also a jogger) was very helpful as to where . The zoo is a short jog away & has plenty of trails in the nearby park .Our package included breakfast which was a large & diverse buffet .
We will be back next year !

Room Tip: We have stayed in a number of rooms here & all have been spacious & nice