“Incredible Hotel - Gracious Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Palace Hotel

You added El Palace Hotel to your Saves list
El Palace Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes, 668, 08010 Barcelona, Spain (Eixample)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #7 of 518 Hotels in Barcelona
Los Angeles, California
“Incredible Hotel - Gracious Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

This is Hotel is Europe at it`s finest. Rooms do not come cheap here but you get what you pay for and this hotel gives you everything you pay for and more. The only drawback is the Gym which is small and offers only limited equipment. However, the basics are covered so giving that everything else is over the top I recommend this hotel highly.

The Hotel has a great history and is frequented by wealthy European Families and Business People. What I really like about this hotel is they have kept the old feel to it with period furnishings but with modern ammenities. While the Restaurants are inexpensive the service, food quality, and presentation merit the prices. I shall return and thanks for a wonderful stay in one of my favorite cities in Europe.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Armonk, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Barcelona was our last stop on an 18-day tour of Spain and Portugal--a mother/daughter adventure with my adult daughter that did not end well due to one inappropriately aggressive and rude woman behind the reception desk. I would have given the hotel a better rating, but it only takes one very unpleasant experience to tarnish one's perception of a hotel--and unpleasant would be an understatement. Before I elaborate on this, I want to comment on the hotel in general. My daughter and I stayed at 5-star hotels throughout our trip, and we are both seasoned travelers. The El Palace has been completely refurbished in recent years (as the Alfonso X111 in Seville has been, and where we also stayed on this trip), and it is elegantly furnished in the lobby and sitting areas. I did notice that the carpeting leading to the elevators is worn and shredded in places and should be replaced, but overall, the main areas are very attractive. Breakfast is served in an atria/tented room that is quite lovely, albeit a bit chilly in cooler weather, although the heat lamps do help. The breakfast staff as well as the concierge staff were cordial and attentive. The location is very good and within a short walk to Barcelona's most famous street--La Rambla. The hotel is situated right above a metro, so you will hear and feel the rumbling ocassionally, especially on a lower floor. We were on the top floor, so we barely felt it and it was not an issue for us. We booked a classic deluxe room with Roman bath and check-in was fairly routine, although not particularly friendly save for a very nice woman who escorted us to our room. A bottle of champagne and chocolates awaited us--a nice touch, although they were expecting a couple, not a mother and daughter. I had inquired about an upgrade on check-in, as I often do, and was told it was not available--even though this hotel often gives complimentary upgrades according to the reviews. As I was confident our room would be quite adequate, I accepted the gentleman's explanation. The room was nicely appointed, with a beautiful marble non-functioning fireplace and small balcony that faced the Gran Via. The bathroom was very spacious with a large shower, and the mosaic-tiled Roman bath was lovely. My issue was with the room size, not only because of the cost, but because I felt mislead by the hotel website claiming the room was spacious, when in fact it was quite the opposite. Before the renovation, these classic deluxe rooms had probably been the sitting areas of suites, so the built out closet/armorie and the armoire on the opposite side that held the bar cluttered the room. There was not much space to walk around comfortably, and the night tables were crammed in next to these armoires. It was the smallest room in any of the 5-star hotels we stayed in by far, so after the first night (and because it was evident to me that the hotel was far from fully booked) I went to reception and asked for an upgrade to a larger accomodation, as we had been given complimentary upgrades without even asking at two of the other hotels on this trip. I was then that I had my encounter with the woman behind the reception desk who informed me in a slightly hostile manner that she could only offer us a suite that faced the courtyard, but I would have to pay for it. Since we did not want a room/suite that was dark and had no view, and certainly did not want to pay for it, I declined after an uneasy conversation that ended after she made a remark stating why would she give us the room for free when she could try and sell it. Later, I looked up reviews on the hotel and noticed that a gentleman had just been offered a complimentary upgrade the day before, and finding that curious, I again approached the same woman behind the reception desk on the morning we were checking out to ask her about it. Obviously I was not expecting an upgrade at this point, but I wanted to know why some people are given complimentary upgrades on a given day and others are not. There were no other guests in the reception area at this time, and I want to make a point here that I am always very civil to hotel staff, so it was shocking when this woman became exceedlingly agressive and defensive and proceeded to lecture me about what I said or did not say in our prior conversaton. She was clearly not interested in "discussing" anything with me and continued with her barrage in what amounted to a one-way conversation. When I asked for her name, she immediately snapped at me that she knew I would complain about her. The gentleman who was also behind the desk tried in vain to get her to stop her tirade, and even after I directed my conversation to him, she went on and on. I finally left the reception area without an apology from either of them, and subsequently no apology was offered by any staff memeber who knew of the incident. I wondered if I was a man if I would have been treated in the same manner and with such lack of repsect. The manager was not on duty yet, but who knows what his repsonse would have been. Later that morning upon check out, I again approached the reception area where this same woman was checking in an elderly couple. I politely asked when the gentleman would be returning, since I didn't want to deal with her again, and her response was to snap at me with the comment: "Can't you see he's not here." That was the last straw, and I told her she was obnoxious and unprofessional and she had no place in the hotel and hospitality industry. The gentleman did return and checked us out, but again, no apology. On a final note, the hotel is lovely aesthetically, but the classic deluxe rooms are very cramped. The hotel has an empty feeling, as we had just come from The Ritz in Madrid, which bustled with guests and had a warm and inviting atmosphere. The rooms at The Ritz need refurbishing, but at least the one we had was huge, and the staff was professional and curteous and apologetic when something was amiss. Such was not the case with the El Palace hotel. I found it to be a stuffy hotel that caters to older couples, and with one very rude and unprofessional woman behind the reception desk. A 5-star hotel that falls very short in 5-star conduct and professionalism.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor to avoid metro noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
palacebarcelona, Director General at El Palace Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Mrs.Lenbraun,

Many thanks for letting us have your comments on your recent stay at El Palace through Tripadvisor website.

We highly appreciate your opinion on our hotel, which, of course it will be taken into consideration, since our guests’ feedback certainly helps us to maintain and improve our services and facilities.

We are very sorry to know that your experience did not meet your expectations at all and we sincerely apologize for that reason because our main goal and continuous effort are no other than getting our clients’ satisfaction.

We awfully regret that the accommodation assigned to you, on a Classic Deluxe Room with Roman Bath(#607), was not to your liking because of its size. Let us inform you that this room is 38 m2, our standard rooms are considered to be between some of the largest standard rooms among other 5-star hotels in the centre of Barcelona. However, it appears we failed to meet your expectations and for that we are truly sorry.

In reference to upgrade offered, always we`re available we upgrade to a superior room based on the room booked. Several guests booking for an standard room had received an upgrade to a Roman Bath and the ones booking a Roman Bath had received an upgraded to a Junior Suite.
We very much regret that you were disappointed about the room upgraded offered to a Privilege Junior Suite of 55m³ ,because our intention when offering it was thinking that you would like it. As you know, our Guest Relation Department did her best to please you.

We have taken good note of your remarks regarding the attitude of the front desk in charge of your check-in and out process .You can rest assured that your remarks will be taken into consideration and that we are taking the appropriate measures to address every item that you have kindly reported to us.

We sincerely believe that the difference between a good hotel and a bad hotel does not lie in mistakes, but in the way to deal with them. That is why we truly apologize for your disappointment as we did our best to ensure your satisfaction. We continuously strive to meet our client’s expectations and we regret that in your case, it seems we could not achieve your contentment at all.

We are grateful for the time you took to share your concerns and certainly look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again at El Palace in a near future.

In the meantime, I remain at your entire disposal.

Yours sincerely,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

El Palace Hotel is a beautiful gem of a hotel combining old world architecture, grace and service with post-modern conveniences such as HDTV, internet, roman-style tub and separate shower. All of its staff are committed to the enjoyment and comfort of their guests - service comes first, from the door man who actually opens and holds doors to the concierge who solicits your feedback on all choices he or she has helped you make. I unhesitatingly give this my highest recommendation - and i'm notoriously a demanding patron - especially when paying premium prices.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Everything about the Palace Hotel was fabulous - the staff, the room, the location, etc. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet as well. The concierge was very helpful - both before and during our visit. We arrived at the Palace hotel after a long flight and it was the start of our vacation it couldn't have been more perfect!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

The hotel is very special- gorgeous lounge and the suites are fabulous - lucky enough to receive complimentary upgrade to a junior suite which was stunning- loved the Jacuzzi tub! There wasn't a view from the room but the comfort of the room was exceptional.
However what really sets it apart are the staff: wonderfully warm welcome from Celine who greets most guests by name, very helpful concierge and lovely ladies in the spa Adrianna and Antonella. During my stay, nothing was too much trouble including wrapping a bottle of wine for the return flight home. The small touches of complimentary Easter chocolates and generous supply of yummy L'Occitane bath goodies contribute to making me feel both very welcome and special.
Thanks to the team for a great stay and it's on my list of hotels to return to.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Stayed for one night and was upgraded to junior suite. They have a beautiful lobby and really old palatial style. Yavier who checked us in took us around the hotel and was very helpful . Service is top class. It is palace hotel

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

A great place to stay if you're looking to holiday in style. The hotel lives up to its name - it's like being in a palace indeed. The entrance is understated but when you get past the concierge and into the saloon, it's a beautiful and spacious room and a great place to sit, have tea and just relax.
The whole place spells opulence but it's done in great style and does not come across as ostentatious.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Been to El Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!