“Lovely Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Palace Hotel

You added El Palace Hotel to your Saves list
El Palace Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes, 668, 08010 Barcelona, Spain (Eixample)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #7 of 518 Hotels in Barcelona
san diego
“Lovely Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

Loved El Palace Hotel. It is a beautiful, old, historic hotel in a central location in Barcelona. It was formerly a Four Seasons property and retains a strong sense of old world elegance. It is in easy walking distance to all the fascinations of Los Rambles and many wonderful nearby restaurants. The hotel is elegant and beautifully decorated with wonderful antiques. The rooms are impeccable, comfortable, clean and quiet, ours with an interesting city view. The beds are wonderful, the bathrooms modern and comfortable and we appreciated the orchids in the bathroom! The staff are welcoming, helpful and professional. We loved Barcelona and highly recommend El Palace Hotel. It provides an elegant perch from which to explore wonderful Barcelona.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed at El Palace in Barcelona in June 2011. Overall, the hotel was beautiful in a very opulent, old-world way. We got upgraded to a junior suite, as it was the off season for the hotel, and were really pleased with the comfort of the bed and the spacious bathroom (there were actually two full rooms, one with the shower/bath and the other with the toilet). Their shower amenities were the best I've seen with L'Occitane's Citrus Verbana collection (which I loved so much, I bought full bottles when I got home). Service was attentive and very pleasant, we were always greeted with a smile whenever we entered a common room. We never ate at the hotel so I have no comment there although the Caelis restaurant is supposed to be lovely.

Two things I would note as negatives are as follows:
1) The hotel really is geared towards older travelers and does not have the fun atmosphere of a place like the W hotel on La Barceloneta. While I thought my stay was lovely, I will likely stay elsewhere on my next trip as I prefer a younger and livelier crowd. I would not hesitate to stay here again if I were vacationing with, say, my parents.

2) There are computers available in one of the common rooms but we had internet and sign-in issues two of the three times we attempted to use them. Both times the staff was attentive and worked to eventually solve the problem but it was certainly an annoyance. An upgrade to the computers (which were very old) would really help as everyone now needs internet connection, even while vacationing.

Just to reiterate, this was a lovely, elegant hotel with a lot of old world glamour and great service, but if you are a young couple looking for a fun place, this may not be the right fit for you.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

My mother and I spent 4 nights at the hotel in early May and it was fantastic! This was one of my favorite hotels in all of Europe and definitely my favorite in Spain. Although everything was great, the people at the concierge were the absolute best. I don't think I have ever encountered such helpful, lovely, polite and knowledgeable concierge professionals. The entire staff always had a smile and made us feel so at home. We called housekeeping once and they were at our door in 30 seconds. We had a little problem with our phone upon checking in and they had a repairman in our room within 10 minutes. The building and all the public areas were gorgeous and absolutely immaculate! The bed was wonderful, bathroom was modern and large with generous toiletries. The breakfast room was in a converted patio which was just lovely.

The location was fantastic - we could walk everywhere and there was also a taxi stand right across the street.

My only negative comment is that it would have been nice to get free wi-fi in the room.

I will most definitely stay here on my next trip to Barcelona and will recommend it to all my friends!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

A very professionally run hotel. Deserves its five stars. Concierge terrific.

Small complaint: At beautiful breakfast buffet, they should offer something other than scrambled eggs. Many five-star hotels have a cook making eggs and omelets to order.

Tip: Several taxi drivers were confused when we asked for El Palace. So when you take a cab, remind them that El Palace used to be the Ritz.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
delray beach florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

This was our first visit to Barcelona and our stay at El Palace was the perfect place to stay. Kudos to the concierge services!! I can't say enough about how wonderful they were. Because we had never visited Barcelona, we relied heavily on their assistance and recommendations. Each time we stopped by the desk, they were so accommodating, pulling out their maps to highlight routes to follow, sites to see and good restaurants to try. Being the foodies that we are, we were skeptical, thinking that they must be recommending places that they have a relationship with, but that couldn't have been further from the truth. Their restaurant recommendations were spot on!
The room was lovely too, with a very large closet. Where I think they can do better is on their bed and pillows. The bed was very hard and it was only after requesting a featherbed to soften it (which they graciously provided), and feather pillows, was it comfortable to sleep in. Also, for safety reasons, they need to provide a highlight in the bathroom for those middle of the night visits. Overall, the place is fabulous and I would most definitely stay there on my next visit to Barcelona.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 6th floor which had a wonderful view of the Gran Via and city below.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

This hotel has been elegantly and delicately furbished and leaves up to all expectations.
it is located in the heart of the city wihin and easy and relaxing walking distance to the main attractions.
it has and elegant residential feel about it.
The rooms offer a warm and inviting atmosphere within, decorated with beautiful fabrics.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We stayed 4 nights after our cruise. We are so glad we stayed here. Our stay was in a beautifully decorated room facing the Gran Via. The furnishings were classic, bed comfortable, A/C worked quietly, and all was clean. The bath was best we have seen in Europe: Roman tub, big shower with rain or spray head, 2 sinks and fine soaps and accessories. The location is great: just a few blocks to La Rambla and Passeig. But quiet at night. Good food in restaurants and great breakfast buffet in quiet garden. I cannot say enough about staff. Reception was efficient; Concierge helped with reservations, taxi, advice; Housekeeping provided all extras needed. The Executive Housekeeper even had our personal pillow cases (for special pillows we brought) cleaned; and she personally delivered them. Thanks Pipa!

Room Tip: Gran Via side had nice sunny views.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to El Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!