“Still one of my favorite sites in Barcelona” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Basilica of the Sagrada Familia

Basilica of the Sagrada Familia
Carrer de Mallorca, 401, 08013 Barcelona, Spain (Eixample)
+34 935 13 20 60
Activities: Walking
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This masterpiece of modernist architecture, built by Antoni Gaudi, pushes the gothic style to the extreme, drawing hundreds of visitors a day.
hilton head, sc
4 attraction reviews
“Still one of my favorite sites in Barcelona”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

I just got back from Barcelona, my fourth visit in 10 years. This was my second visit to Sagrada Familia. This is a beautiful building and a fascinating work in progress. I believe many of the negative reviews and disappointed visitors are related to people not knowing what this building is. This is not an ornate, renaissance cathedral, with lots of artwork, gold, stained glass, etc. This is definitely a construction site, although if you visit on the weekend you won't be subjected to active construction. It is historically interested and engaging from an architectural standpoint. The exterior is amazing. My last visit was about 6 years ago, and I was so surprised at how much work had been done since then. In fact, I have read that the church may be consecrated this fall and Masses may be held then. I am skeptical, but that would be great. But the church is not scheduled to be complete until 2026.

I actually think the tourist flow is backward. If visitors start FIRST in the museum in the basement of the church, they will understand the history of the site, the methods used to create some of the effects in the church and the philosophy and interests of Gaudi, the architect of the building. This will help the visitor understand the influence of elements of nature in the design.

Finally, I didn't mind paying for admission to the site. I know that these funds are going toward the completion of the church. I can't wait until 2026 to return to see the finished product. This is must see for anyone going to Barcelona.

• Arabic first
Australia
4 attraction reviews
“Rip-Off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

Beautiful on the outside, Paid 44 euros for the 4 of us...What a RIP-OFF... a Construction site once you walk in and if you want to go on the lifts, you have to pay more. Don't WASTE your time and money going inside...Admire from the outside.

Singapore, Singapore
5 attraction reviews
“Dissapointing, under construction/ renovation!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

We were there 2 weeks back and a bit disappointed! Most of the magnificent monument is under construction. There is very little, or no information provided next to the art pieces in the church.

Aubrey, Texas
33 attraction reviews
“Fascinating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

We went just to see the architecture outside, then decided to see the interior and were glad we did. It is fascinating to see a huge cathedral under construction and know it will last hundreds of years. The inside is very different from the outside, but no less revolutionary. Well worth the time to see.

Montgomery, Alabama
95 attraction reviews
“One of the most interesting churches, but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

I can see why Gaudi was not beloved during his life time. I think his wild and ornate style would not appeal to me if he submitted the drawing for this church to me today. However, with the prespective of 100 years it can only be described as one-of-a-kind. I enjoyed being able to view a work in progress. i don't think my grand children will see this church completed, but hope they can visit and see the additional progress made over time. On the day of my visit, the tower were not open, so I am sure that affected my rating for this site. Seeing the Barcelona sky line from the towers would have been cool.