“Terrible” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #146 of 701 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Booked to stay over two nights.arrived on the 27th November 2012 and got there at 7.25pm knowing there was an extra charge if arriving after 8pm.
It was raining cats and dogs but still took three telephone calls to get a person to let us in the apartment 20 minutes later.
Felt hustled as I booked using my credit card and was told I had to pay in full €160 on top of the €34 deposit on my card.
Frog marched to the cash machine to take out the money in the rain.
The apartment looks exactly like the pictures. Small but cute.
It was so cold I had to get the blanket off the bed then due to no heating had to go to bed straight after eating out.
Windows are single glazed which is a joke as it doesn't block out any noise from the street below.
Despite wearing wax earplugs I was kept up all night.
Shouting from the street then what I. Can only describe as a street cleaner for an hour then at five am the bin men before the shouting at six.
Closed the bedroom door to separate the rooms and it would not open fully as it slides back into the wall but got stuck. On ringing the reception they simply said its fine and they would fix it after we left.
Got no sleep what so ever so after walking around all day decided to leave and book into a hotel.
On checking out I was was asked why to inform them it was too cold and noisy.
They simply said oh ok just leave they key. No mention of any form of a refund so it ended up costing €190 for one night. That's without the extra €50 for the hotel.
Please bare in mind there is the €50 mandatory cleaning fee on top of prices and only book if you can sleep in a cardboard box in a busy street.( that's how it felt.)
I can't warn people enough and I am also worried they will take the deposit charge of €150 off my credit card even though I left it in exactly the way it was on arrival.
Do not trust them and I recommend a hotel since its only really a large room which is divided into four spaces oh and did I mention only single glazing that offers no noise insulation what so ever.

It does look cute as in the photos but walk up a tiny stair case three floors then take strong sleeping pills and wear earplugs oh and finally if you go in winter take thermal underwear to wear in the apartment.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. For the price you could stay in a warm quiet hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

You simple cannot beat the location or price of this flat in the El Born section of Barcelona; within walking distance to almost everything. We stayed in the Saba unit of the building which is over 400 years old but beautifully renovated with 2 French door balconies so you can watch the action in the street below. The rental agent Eve was great.....meet us at the appointed time, helped us with our luggage up the 3 flights of stairs, gave us travel advice and made sure that everything was working and we were satisfied before she left....very impressed with her and Pillow Apartments! Wifi and full washer and dryer were a bonus as this was the last stay of a 3 week European trip. The only negative was there seemed to be a sewer gas smell coming from the bathroom but we left the fan on and kept the door closed to help remedy this.....must be an "old building" problem as we noticed this in Rome also. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

We stayed in the Potosi apartment for four nights in the beginning of May. The apartment is beautiful and looks exactly like the photos on their website. It's got a full kitchen, washer/dryer, free wifi, great a/c and heater, etc. It was so nice to have a living room and eating area in addition to the bedroom, for less than the price of most hotel rooms in Barcelona. The location is fantastic - right in the middle of one of the main streets in the El Born neighborhood. You walk out the door and are surrounded by restaurants, shops, etc. There was a little noise from the street but the apartment is high up, so it wasn't too bad (and we slept with earplugs so it was fine). On the other hand I wouldn't want to show up with lots of heavy luggage because there are a lot of stairs and no elevator. A couple of other issues: the people who run La Casa de l'Argent (and their sister building, La Casa de les Lletres) are extremely nice, but could be more on top of things. For example, when I had asked about the cancellation policy, they said we could cancel up to one week before with no charge, but then after I paid the 50% deposit they told me it was nonrefundable. They did not seem to understand that this was contradictory and I think it was an honest communication error, but be warned that their communication skills are not perfect. Also the washing machine wasn't working and it took two emails to them to get them to fix it, so we had to bring our clothes to a laundromat, which was disappointing. And the biggest negative was that there was an odd, mildewy smell that seemed to be coming from the shower, and sometimes made the apartment smell funny. I don't know what caused it but hopefully it was temporary. Overall it was an excellent deal for a very attractive apartment in a fantastic location. If you want any guidance from a concierge while you're there, I'd stay in a hotel because you're completely on your own in this apartment. But if you're confident in exploring Barcelona independently, I'd definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to La Casa de l'Argent? Share your experiences!