“Average food and ambience destroyed by annoying automatic door” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Egypte

Egypte
La Rambla 79, Barcelona, Spain (El Barri Gòtic)
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,329 of 5,876 restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: El Barri Gòtic
chelmsford
“Average food and ambience destroyed by annoying automatic door”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have to agree with the last reviewer. The food was patchy with very dry chicken and bland Paella and the waitresses were definitely tourist weary. Some of the tapas was fine but we didn't think it measured up to some of the less recent reviews. The worse aspect of the experience was the automatic doors which enthusiastically opened and shut all the way through our meal. This may be fine on a hot August night (though it can't help the air con) but, on a cold March night, having a blast of cool air every other minute can get annoying. A shame because the interior of the restaurant is lovely. If you do go then sit at the back.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

72% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“Tasteless food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We found this restaurant using the Trip Advisor app as it allowed us to find restaurants nearby. Egypte had mainly positive reviews so we decided to take a look at the menu. We were hauled in and seated by the window.
The food was tasteless. Rubbery prawns, dry chicken..
Whenever passers by stopped looked at the menu outside, the waitress ran out to entice them in which activated the automatic doors that took a long time to close. On a very cold February afternoon this began to get annoying so we asked to be moved. The waitress promised not to do it again if we stayed where we were. They wanted us to be an advertisement for the restaurant. Within 5 minutes she was going back outside whenever somebody passed!
I really don't understand why this restaurant has so many positive reviews. We left hungry and headed down the road to Wok to Walk

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Excellent set menus”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Great restaurant but when we went agian this year it was shutdown for a weeks holiday. However the previous year the food and staff were great and even remembered us and where we had sat!

Visited February 2012
NSW Australia
“Avoid!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My husband and I were served smelly, soft prawns and suffered the consequences. The restaurant insisted we didn't pay, but I would not eat there again.

Visited December 2012
Manila, Philippines
“a surprising find on las ramblas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

When I discovered that the tapas bar I originally wanted to try at La Boqueira was closed, I reluctantly checked out the restaurants along Las Ramblas. Conscious about its tourist trap reputation, I chose Egypte for its "value-for-money" meal of day (13 euro) as the girl at the door explained to me. And when my meal was served - melon with jamon serrano, bacalao, chocolate pudding, crin roja - I was more than satisfied. It was delicious! Plus, service was warm and friendly, thanks to Richard the server who was quick and attentive to his customers.

• Visited November 2012