The hotel location is close to the Metro station L 1 as well as the tram. There are more central locations but Novotel's is rather convenient. The building is nice, rooms are modern and qualitative except for the pre-cast plastic shower and sink in the bathroom. AC is smooth and effective. On top of the roof swimming pool, bar, fitness club are simply awesome with a breathtaking view over the nearby Agbar Tower and the whole town actually.
Reception desk is a disappointment: always understaffed, at least during our 3 days stay, with overworked and less than cordial staff. Long queuing every time one needs an information is indeed frustrating. After all this was not an overcrowded Post Office or Railway Station.
We had the disappointment of reserving 5 bikes and discover the next day at the time of using them that one of them actually was unusable! They had not been checked!... And no apologies, nor specific help or alternative solution was even brought to our attention by the hotel staff. No doubt our worst experience in an Accor hotel.
Breakfast was served in a huge meeting room at the basement. We couldn't believe it! It used to be a regular practice in mass consumption Spanish hotels in the 1970s, I never imagined I would witness such a shameful practice in a Novotel nowadays (bear in mind that breakfast is charged 18.70 €). To be fair the very limited choice of food was always fresh, of very good quality and waiters constantly made sure everything was available. At the entrance of the breakfast hall, the "greeting" lady was not welcoming at all but waiters inside the hall were rather helpful and striving to smile.
As in many hotels , one is provided with a magnetic card acting as a key to the room. Unfortunately, for some reason, this card was very quickly becoming ineffective. I first thought we had done something wrong but given the laughters in the elevators with other guests getting blocked in the elevator due to failing cards, I guess we were quite a few to be recurringly bothered with this.
Drainage of our shower was ineffective causing water to spill over the bathroom. Despite 3 calls and requests at the reception desk nothing was done.
In a nutshell the main issue of this hotel was the very poor service level provided to guests as well operation failures.
Being a frequent user and a fan of Accor hotels, I still want to believe we have been very very unlucky.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4-star Novotel Barcelona City Hotel has 264 rooms (including 22 suites) and is located right in the heart of the city on Avenida Diagonal (one of the city's main streets), next to Plaza Glòries and 55 yards (50 m) from the Jean Nouvel Tower. The hotel features a Claravía restaurant, a bar, 6222 sq. ft (578 m2) of meeting rooms, an outdoor pool on the terrace with panoramic views of Barcelona and a fitness center. Easy access to the hotel via Ronda de Dalt and Ronda Litoral. (The swimming pool is open only from 1st June to 20th September 2011) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, ACCOR, Priceline, EasyToBook, Despegar.com and Agoda so you can book your Novotel Barcelona City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Barcelona City Hotel Barcelona
- Novotel Barcelona City Catalonia