“Will Definitely Be Coming Back!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sixtytwo Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sixtytwo Hotel to your Saves list
Sixtytwo Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Passeig de Gracia 62, 08007 Barcelona, Spain (Eixample)   |
Ranked #56 of 516 hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersGold level
Dublin, Ireland
“Will Definitely Be Coming Back!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Excellent location . Walking distance to all the sites and Metro station. Right across the road from Casa Bastilo. Staff very friendly, polite and attentive. Quick check in. They didn't scan my credit card for a huge sum. The lobby smelt great. The décor was clever and novel. Very generous toiletries. Free wi-fi that was super fast and didn't require passwords and lots of set-up. The breakfast was splendid. Very calm and relaxed. Lovely selection in the cold buffet including hot bread and cava. There was also a hot menu (included in the price) -also tasty and well presented. Really couldn't fault this hotel. Excellent value.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

503 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I'll start with the good part: Hotel Sixty-Two is, indeed, very well located and we were glad to have chosen it at first. We walked for most of the attractions and only when we went to Montjuic did we take a cab. The hotel is clean and modern looking. The bedrooms are good sized (the one we stayed at least) and the shower was very good. We didn't love the bathroom glass sliding door with no lock, but it is not a major problem.

Then, the problems began....

First I had to complain at the reception because we had left a big paper shopping bag near the window, nowhere NEAR the garbage can and although it was full of paper inside, it also had a handkerchief that my wife had bought. Well, the cleaning lady took it upon herself to throw that away. I made a complaint at the reception and was assured the manager would get back to me.

So that same night, a Friday, we went to bed late after having dinner out and my wife had a shower after we came back. Why I say this? Well... because at 2 in the morning someone started making noises on our door and, suddenly, two people came into our room. I jumped out of bed after my wife started screaming, only to be face to face with a french couple who had just arrived and had been given our room. So that meant that their key opened our door and there we there, inside, me and my wife on our underwear and the French guy wearing a suit and tie. "But this room is supposed to be ours!!" he said.

"Yes sir, but we have been here for 3 days already!" - I answered. So back they went while my wife was laughing as was his wife/girlfriend. But if he had arrived an hour and a half before, they would have walked right into my wife having a shower (the bathroom is right next to the door and the sliding door was open). So I called the reception and made another complaint. But at the same time told my wife I could bet the receptionist would not pass that one up because, of course, it had been his mistake to give our room. The most simple computer check would have shown the room was occupied.

So the next morning I went again to the reception and made another complaint, telling them of the seriousness of the situation. What if it was a woman, alone, and instead of a french couple, a drunken guest arriving, for instance? The receptionist said she had not heard about it and her colleague had not said anything. But she assured me the manager would do something about it because, she agreed, it was a very serious problem and I would be hearing from the manager. That was Saturday 10 in the morning.

We left the hotel on Monday at 10 in the morning, a full 48 hours after my second complaint and I never heard from ANYONE from the Hotel, neither about my wife's handkerchief, neither about the bizarre 2am incident, which could have been serious. There was not even a telephone call, a "so sorry" note, nothing!!!

I jumped out of bed, at 2 in the morning, while the room was completely dark and was face to face with two strangers right on top of the bed. Could I have punched the guy? Jumped him? What was I supposed to do? Thankfully nothing came of it, but it could have been a very different story.

So, both me and my wife were completely shocked that the hotel could simply ignore what happened and not offer a simply "sorry" note. Unbelievable disregard for the guests. And since actions speak louder than marketing slogans and website promotions, we must give this one star rating and warn other guests. You might go there and have no problems, just know that if you do, from our minor to our major one, you might find a deaf ear.

To make matters worst, when we returned home, fully 2 weeks ago, I sent and e-mail to the hotel reporting all of this and sending them a copy of this review, asking them for a position. Again, they simply NEVER even answered my e-mail. This is the same hotel that, on the many times I had a reservation question, answered all my e-mails in a matter of hours, so I know they got this last one. The lack of respect is shocking, I had never encountered anything like this before.

We will surely return to Barcelona we will probably look for a hotel on the same region, just a different one. We will never again stay at this hotel. For those of you that do, I wish you good luck, perhaps your experience will be different from ours.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
BarcelonaHoteles, Manager at Sixtytwo Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear guest,
The whole Sixtytwo team is really sorry for all the inconveniences during your stay. As soon as I came back to the hotel I read the email you sent to me with the sames explanations you are sharing with Tripadvisor readers, and I immediatly send you an answer. As already mentioned on my email, we will be more than pleased to give you a very special deal for a future stay at the Sixtytwo!
Be informed we checked our electronic open door system and were able to see your door was not properly closed during the night you had visitors. These visitors were staying in your same room but on another floor and by mistake tried to enter in your room, but the opening list clearly said their key failed in your door.
Be so kind to accepct once again our most sincere apologies and we just hope to welcome you very soon and be able to change your mind about our services.
At your entire disposal,
Àlex Tétard
Hotel Manager
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We loved our stay at Hotel Sixty Two. Very modern, comfortable, and spaceous rooms. Our room had a little courtyard out the back, no view, but the space made up for it. Big comfortable bed, and loved the heated mirror so it didnt fog up! Also coffee machine was a nice touch too. Very nice breakfast, and we found the staff very friendly and helpful.
Location is great - close to almost everything, can even walk to the beach (with sensible shoes :) Was very close to the subway although we made the mistake of arriving at night and one of the exits was closed due to work being done on it, so got rather lost - should have taken a taxi.
Would stay here again - highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
washington D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights last week. The hotel is in a great location and was easy to find. There is a metro stop and a hop on hop off stop just down the block which makes this a convenient choice. The hotel is easily within walking distance of La Rambla and many other sights in Barcelona.

The staff at reception were top-notch, friendly and very helpful. Check-in was easy and there is an elevator so you don’t need to climb steps with luggage. The room itself was very clean and modern, the bed super comfortable. We reserved a room with a very nice terrace (albeit the view over the back of the building was not appealing from the 5th floor). The bathroom is very nice but I will have to say that it is enclosed by glass. While you are not able to see through the glass, it is glass and the door doesn’t close tightly so there is really not much privacy. Even as a couple married a very long time, I need a lot more privacy than that and I sure don’t like to listen to my husband in the bathroom either. This was easy enough to remedy with the terrace as I would just go out there or tell him to go out on the terrace.

There is one thing that really irked me about the room. There is a Nespresso coffee maker in the room but you have to pay for a cup of coffee. $1.60 Euro per cup! Seriously!

The hotel has a nice lounge area with a couple of computers guests can use. There is also good WiFi throughout the hotel. The lounge area also has an honesty bar which we didn’t partake of but the prices weren’t too bad. Nor did we pay for the hotel breakfast but if you are a breakfast person it would easily be worth the $18 Euro per person. It looked fabulous and included made to order items as well as champagne and wine.

So, I would say that I would probably not hesitate to stay at the Hotel SixtyTwo again. Even with the couple of negatives. I really wish they wouldn’t charge for using the in-room coffee maker though!

Room Tip: Room 503 has a terrace that overlooks the back of the building. The view is not at all appealing but...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Nice facility in a great location. The train from the airport will bring you within a couple of blocks, so it is an easy walk. The Passeig de Gracia is a very gracious and polished are with a lot of big name (and universal) shops. The hotel itself is very nicely designed in the simple elegance, no ostentation school.

The staff is reasonably friendly and responsive, but could have been a little more helpful and polished.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for sharing your Sixtytwo Experience with other travellers. We will keep maintaining our equipment standards but will pay more attention to our service in order for you to find in perfect during your next visit !
Best regards from Barcelona,
Àlex Tétard
Hotel Manager
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

After a fantastic stay last year, we did not hesitate to return to the fabulous Hotel Sixtytwo again this year, and we were not disappointed.
This year we decided to take our teenage daughter along, which unfortunately meant a triple room at the rear of the hotel. Although the room itself was of the usual high standard, the view was not! Having been spoilt last year with a room overlooking the Passieg de Gracia, this was a bit of a let down.
Having said that, I would still go back to this hotel but only as a couple, and by insisting on a room at the front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Insist on a room overlooking the Passieg de Gracia at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This hotel is slap bang in the centre of the action on passeig de gracia which is full of luxury shops. It's also a short walk from las rambles. The metro stop is just around the corner which has a train to the airport every half an hour which takes 30 minutes.
We had a room at the front which had a small balcony over passeig de gracia which was great and actually surprisingly quiet! The rooms are not huge but big enough. The bathroom was big but has one of those annoying glass doors that doesn't separate you 100% from the bedroom.
We booked breakfast at an additional cost which was expensive but it included a cooked breakfast as well as the Buffett. Next time I probably wouldn't bother and would Just grab a coffee and croissant from one of the cafes next door.
Good bar tip is that the Torres wine bar is a couple of doors up - great selection of wine and brandy!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to Sixtytwo Hotel? Share your experiences!