“Loved Hip Karma!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hip Karma Hostel

Hip Karma Hostel
You added Hip Karma Hostel to your Saves list
Hip Karma Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Ronda de Sant Pere #39, Principal -2a, 08019 Barcelona, Spain (Eixample)   |
Ranked #150 of 708 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Greenville, North Carolina
“Loved Hip Karma!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

We stayed at Hip Karma for 3 nights, and it was perfect. It was a little hard to find when we first got there, but not impossible. Everything was nice, the people, the rooms, everything. My favorite hostel in Europe so far! They also had brochures in the "lobby" area for different attractions in the city, which we ended up using alot! We ended up using Travelbar for alot of tourist type things-look them up if you're going to Barcelona!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Cochin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

Walking distance from Plaza Catalunya (and even closer to the metro), location wise it is very good, without being in the seedier part of town which has many hostels. Close to Ramblas, the port area and the Gaudi buildings.
The hostel had the typical features of mixed dorms - with row of showers where you shed both clothes and inhibitions outside, a shared kitchen where you can cook/ heat takeaways or make tea coffee etc. Very good internet area with plenty of LCD workstations. the larger dorms has a very nice balcony area to sit or sip tea in.
What is different is the level of cleanliness, safety and yet have privacy should you want it - clean curtains separate out each bunk. Also included is a lockable large drawer whcih can fit in a suitcase and also has multiple plug point to charge laptops, mobiles etc. Good wifi is also available throughout. Entrance is a bit hard to find and it is not labelled at all outside except a tiny inscription on the doorbell.
You also get a free meal coupon for the travelBar which also has a very nice walking tour
Convenient eateries and superstores outside - but the city is best for the snacks or Tapas which arent very expensive!
Do also try and see a flamenco show or spanish guitar show. The cable car ride from Miramar across to the harbor is spectacular as is a ramble along the ramblas and the latin quarter and the cathedral!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

We don't usually stay in dorms, however we found Barcelona very expensive so we booked with Hip Karma. The rooms are cleaned everyday along with the bathrooms. The kitchen is well stocked with cooking equip, new but small. The entire hostel is new, clean and very nice. I especially loved the curtains that went around the bed giving privacy whilst sleeping and the lock up draws underneath the bottom bunk, large enough to store two 75lt backpacks per person.

They don’t allow alcohol inside the hostel, which is slightly annoying but at least there wasn't people getting drunk and being loud at night, which is the reason why they banned it.

The main downside is that there isn't a comfortable space to relax in... And they let people who aren't staying at the hostel inside - The person staying in the bed across from me came home at 4am with a late night caller. I told the guy at the desk and he just smiled. Luckily we were leaving that morning at had to get up early otherwise I would have been suitably unimpressed.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Castelfranco Emilia, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

The little Hip Karma is just 5 minutes of walking from the centre, situated in a safe and quiet zone in a distinct palace. Inside almost everything is white with some cool oriental paintings on wall. Bedrooms are clean and every bed has its own curtain and reading-light. Reception open 24h.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

I've been to quite a few hostels and this is one of the nicest ones I've stayed at. Very clean, modern facilities. There is a new kitchen available to everyone, plus several computer stations. The location is great, right off the Plaza de Catalunya. The Airport bus is not far away. I stayed in a multi-bed room which had the same drawbacks as any multi-bed room in any hostel: people. They have no curfew (great!), so people come in and out all night, often loudly. You should be ok with that or you're probably not cut out for hostel travelling. On that note, I would recommend requesting a bed located far away from the door - unless you're one of the loud ones, then please take the one next to it! Really people, have a little compassion for your hostel neighbors - do you need to turn the room light on just to find your bed?

Good location, clean, modern, and did I mention *cheap*. I paid 5 Euros a night for a clean bed in the center of Barcelona.

• Liked — cheap and clean
  • Disliked — no sign outside, was a little hard to find
  • Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Stockholm
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

I stayed in this hostel for five nights in August 2009. It all looked nice in the pictures and they did have some of the cleaniest bathrooms I've ever seen in a hostel and the location was good, but that's about it.

Upon arrival I was given a bed for those five nights I was going to stay in the hostel and a padlock to a separate drawer underneath the bed. All beds have curtains around them which is nice but it doesn't block the light coming in from the corridor through the windows. The staff members were playing loud music and people were chatting and using computers outside of the dorm door all night so if you are a light sleeper this is definitely not the best place to stay.

I got back to the hostel late evening on the last night of my stay to discover that all my things had been removed from my bed, and the drawer I thought was safe because of the said lock. When I asked the staff what had happened their answer was simply that " we gave you the wrong bed to start with (I had stayed there for four nights already!!!) and had to remove your things to another dorm. We didn't see you anywhere so couldn't inform you about this". I've never met more arrogant hostel manager in my life. It's a small hostel where a staff member opens the door during the night and I was moving in and out all the time so there's no reason why staff could not have seen me and let me remove my things myself.

The point here is that they went through my stuff. And not only did they remove my things from the locked drawer they advertised as being a safe place to store your things, I also discovered that some of my jewelry went missing because of them. That jewelry wasnt worth starting a legal operation but I'm 99 % sure that they took it while removing my things. When confronting the manager he just shrugged his shoulders and didn't seem to care since it was my last night there. No compensation whatsoever.

I wouldn't recommend this hostel to anybody. There is no excuse for interfering with people's personal belongings, let alone stealing them.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hip Karma Hostel? Share your experiences!