“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Del Mar

You added Hotel Del Mar to your Saves list
Hotel Del Mar
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Plaza Palacio 19, 08002 Barcelona, Spain (Sant Pere - Santa Caterina i la Ribera)   |
Ranked #325 of 518 Hotels in Barcelona
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This hotel was in a perfect location, I stayed for 4 nights and saw all of the sights that I wanted to see without getting public transport once! Rooms are small fairly clean and fairly modern however beds weren't to comfortable and the Staff on reception were rude and not very helpful. Make sure you request a roof terrace because we had a great view and it was a perfect sun trap! this doesn't cost extra either. The hotel was less than a 10 min walk to the gothic quarter and to the beach best of both worlds! would highly recommend just for the pure fact that the location was Brilliant. Great food and bars near by the port with great views and had a nice feel to it. Great for the price! had brill holiday!

Room Tip: Request a roof terrace room!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Clean, relatively new rooms. Modest but tasty breakfast.
Ideal location - 1 minute walk to the subway, 5 minutes to the beach, 5 minutes from the Rambla. Located right at the cute Born district, which is full of restaurants, cosy cafes and shops. Wandering here is much more pleasant than walking around Las Ramblas' crowd. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Very pleasant city centre hotel. Set in a lovely square on the edge on the Gothic quarters and two minute walk from the marina. The location gives easy access to all of the main attractions in the old town area of Barcelona. Barcelonetta Metro is two minutes away. We requested a room on the fourth floor as these rooms have their own private terrace with views either across the town or the marina. I'd would stay here again for sure. No English speaking TV channels, but we were not bothered about that. We read several people stating that the felt threatened after dark in the Gothic quarter, we spent every night of our 5 night stay in the Gothic Quarter and never felt threatened at all, we may have just been lucky!

Room Tip: Request a fourth floor room, these have their own terrace with table and chairs. Nice views across t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Surfside, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My husband requested a room with a balcony, it had a very nice view of the area. I wish we would have had more time to use it. Everything in the room was clean and the room was renovated and nice. My only complaint was that, even though there was an abundance of food for breakfast, it was not fresh. It was obvious that the food that the food had either been reheated or out for too long.
The location is great, walking distance to many restaurants, shops, and to the marina.

Room Tip: Corner room has a huge balcony, with awesome view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel at three different ocations, 2009 and 2010x2. Every time we've stayed on the top floor( level 4) where most rooms have a large roof terrace with a great view of the citys coastal quarters. You should definitlybtry to get one of theese rooms.

The hotel is conveniently located at the big harbour plaza close to the water. This way you can easily access the beach, Barceloneta, and the old town, Barre Gothic where a lot of nice restaurants and bars are located. This hotel is great for holidays with a lot of beaching and siteseeing. The Hop-on Hop-Off buses stop right outside the hotel.

Service: ok, but no more. I've found he staff a little bit quiet...
Breakfast: ok, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Location: this is where this hotel shines! At least from a tourist perspective.

No bar in the hotel.

I would use this hotel for my next stay once again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We enjoyed our two night stay at the Del Mar. The location in Barcolenetta area was convenient for transport, had a nice outlook and proximity to beach and marina. Our room was spacious, clean, and suitably appointed. It was clean and reasonably priced, and the staff were friendly and helpful. The included buffet breakfast was also very good. There were a huge number of nearby restaurants and bars to choose from.

Room Tip: An upper level terrace view room (preferably with outlook to the marina or adjacent square) would be...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I and my wife have 7 weeks holiday per year and we travel a lot all around the world.
I can say that this was the worst hotel experience I have ever had.
It was totally a rip off.
I always book my hotel after reading many reviews and make sure that hotel is perfectly located according to my requirements.

I booked my flight for a 48 hours weekend trip from Amsterdam to Barcelona. Then started looking for hotels.
I wanted to stay somewhere between the beach (Barcelonette) and Gothic District with walking distance to these areas.
I made my search accordingly on the map and found out Hotel Del Mar, read reviews on web and checked the agency sites to make the booking.
As all frequent travelers now different agencies may give different prices for the same hotel, I made my search and booked the hotel for two nights between 12 - 14 July 2013 (Friday and Saturday nights)

As an experienced traveler I also contacted with the hotel via mail to confirm my booking for not having any overbooking surprise at check in.
When you make booking with an agency better to double check with hotel to avoid surprises.

I informed the hotel about my late flight on 12/07/2013 Friday night and I told them that I will check in late around 10:00 PM to make sure they keep my room ready.
I had the mail exchange 2 days before my arrival date.
They did not mention about system problem and just replied they will note it.
If there was a real system problem they would reply me that they do not see my reservations in their system and they do not have available room for me but they did not.

On 12/07/2013 Friday evening around 22:00 I reached hotel and asked to check in.
The young guy at the reception started telling about the failure in their system in the last day and they were unable to arrange my room because there is overbooking.
I told about the mail exchange we had two days ago and told them why they did not inform before.
The guy had no clue about my mail exchange.
I asked for Hotel Manager to speak someone with authority, managed to get the manager after waiting 10 minutes.
They offered me another hotel which was far away from the beach comparing to Hotel Del Mar.
I knew that I had no chance to find another hotel at this time in Barcelona so I did not have a chance.
I asked compensation from the hotel for their failure.
Hotels creating such problem make gesture to client to avoid dissatisfaction and this is common fact in the tourism business.
The manager first told they will pay for the taxi from Hotel Del Mar to the other hotel and this will be their gesture.
I thought he was kidding and my tension raised more.
Actually I wanted for them to pay at least one night fee for their failure to cover unpleasant situation.
I responded them very dissapointed about their offer and asked for more for make it up.
They offered me the taxi ride to the other hotel (6 eur fee) cover city tax(2,5 eur each per person), and free wifi access during my stay. (used wifi for 1 hour and cost 2 eur)
After half an hour discussion with high tension I gave up with huge disappointment and asked them to call a cab to go to the other hotel they arranged.

It is the most annoying thing for me to stay hotel where I did not search, decide and book myself.
The hotel I relocated was closedby but it was one of the oldest hotel I have ever stayed.
The furniture in the room was coming from 70s & 80s, rooms was very small. Sound isolation was disaster.
Location was more far away from the beach comparing to Hotel Del Mar.
It was just next to Metro station entry and I woke up around 6-7 am in the morning because of the noise coming from outside.
The sound isolation was awful and I could hear anything coming from outside.
I can not pass without mentioning about it. Saturday and Sunday morning we woke up around 6-7 in the morning and could not sleep more.
Because there was 40-50 people group outside next to metro entry and our hotel and they kept signing with guitar, probably had their after party there and waiting metro to open.

In summary I could not sleep in the hotel I got relocated, I could not stay in the hotel which I specifically selected for its location.

I simply got ripped of even I had mail exchanges with hotel just after booking to double check my booking.

I believe the hotel sold my room to someone they can get more money at the day I was checking in late.

If there is a system problem why did not you inform me two days ago when I sent you my reservation mail.
There is no sensible explanation for the situation.

I paid 1000 eur for 48 hours Barcelona trip including flight hotel etc.
Just wanted to have a good time with my wife.

But Hotel Del Mar messed up my holiday.

Awful hotel management I have ever seen.

Thanks to them, I will never forget this experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Del Mar? Share your experiences!