“Feel like you're part of the familia, at St. Jordi Sagrada Familia.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sant Jordi Sagrada Familia

Save Saved
You added Sant Jordi Sagrada Familia to your Saves list
Sant Jordi Sagrada Familia
Freser,5, 08026 Barcelona, Spain   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #35 of 669 Specialty lodging in Barcelona
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Feel like you're part of the familia, at St. Jordi Sagrada Familia.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

The short answer: stay at St. Jordi. This was hands-down the best hostel of my trip, and in my humble opinion, the best hostel in all of Europe. If you want to know why then read on - or save yourself some time and just go make your reservation right now!

CLEAN: Thanks to a tireless staff, this place stays spotless. Day and night, you can always find someone cleaning something with an almost OCD-like enthusiasm. The entire hostel stays cleaner than the microchip lab at Intel. Amazing, considering how big this place is. Very much appreciated.

GREAT LOCATION: It's located directly between two major metro lines. Walk 3 blocks in either direction and you'll be on a metro that can take you anywhere in Barcelona. It's also super easy to get to from the the airport or train station. Take your pick of several large supermarkets and tiny fruit stands right outside the front door if you want to grab a snack or do some cooking. If you're a beer fan, the legendary (and shiny) S.A. Damm brewery is the next block over and the hostel organizes a tour and beer tasting. And, as the name implies, Sagrada Familia is only a few minutes walk away...

STAFF: St. Jordi has built an A-Team of the best people you could hope to meet. From the second you walk in the door (even if it's around 1am in my case) they are ready to welcome you and hook you up with whatever you need. Abel, Paulo, Rafa, and el chef (we'll just call him Mr. Aztec god dude, you'll know him!) are absolute champs. There is a sense of community that they create through group activities and AMAZING family style dinners almost every night. They even worked around my food allergy so I could enjoy the meal with everyone. This really blew me away (el chef, you rock!). The behind the scenes staff are friendly and awesome too. Good people :)

AMENITIES: Feels like home. Walking into the kitchen is like stepping onto the set of Iron Chef America. They have a HUGE fully stocked kitchen set-up which flows right into their dining area, computer bar, and lounge zone (beanbag chairs, projector, endless supply of movies, tv shows, skate & surf videos, etc at your fingertips). The building is very secure and you have your own electronic swipe card activated locker big enough for even the largest backpacks. Each bed gets its own power outlet, shelf, and reading light (it's the small things that really make the difference!).

I could go on... But the real amazing thing is the value. My stay here (December 2012) was under €10 a night. Are you kidding me?! I paid more to share a broom closet with 12 smelly dudes in the slums of Athens (true story)! I wouldn't take the time to write all of this unless it was truly worth raving about. So go there, check it out, make some friends, buy the t-shirt, and become part of the family.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

124 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Florence, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed here with a total of 6 girls. Over the course of our backpacking experience this was definitely one of our favorite hostels! We loved our receptionist Marc who was extremely helpful and might I add...handsome.

We had a family-style dinner with everyone in the downstairs lounge area and were able to meet a ton of young travelers such as ourselves. It was a short 10 Euro max cab right (for all of us) to the nightlife and was walking distance to the metro to get to the sights during the day. VERY clean, and the beds were more comfortable than mine at home :)

Room Tip: Take advantage of the dinner, very affordable and delish. Also, best coffee I've had out of a ma...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I've stayed here just for one night and I liked it. Super clean, super-friendly staff, huge common area/kitchen, wi-fi, computers, safe boxes, elevator, cheap.

Be careful of air-condition in the room. Require that they turn it off or take a bunk away from it, otherwise you'll wake up ill. in October there's no need for one so I don't have a clue why they keep it on all the time.

Besides that I would recommend this hostel.

Room Tip: be careful of air-condition in the room. require that they turn it off or take a bunk away from it...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The rooms were quite good with bunk beds... not the noise creaky ones.
The staff was helpful and nice. The Sant Jordi hostels are scattered all over Barcelona, so pick the one which is most convenient. Locationwise this one was quite nice. Only a short walk to the Sagrada Familia Basilica.
Nearest metro station is 2 blocks away.

All in all, this was a good experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

Nothing much stands out as being good about this hostel. The rooms are very noisy as sound travels easily down the corridors, the staff weren't overly friendly - one woman was just downright rude, and the most frustrating thing of all... PEOPLE STEAL FOOD. We had food tied up in plastic bags, labelled with our names but that still didn't stop people going into them and helping themselves. The staff also control the lights in the rooms which they don't turn off until after midnight. It was a clean hostel, but you could find better.

• Stayed August 2012
Reykjavik, Iceland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed at the San Jordi hostel sagrada famillia for a few nights last may. I was very happy with everything. The hostel is the cleanest establishment I have ever stayed in ever!!! almost to much even when they came in to the apartment every night at almost midnight to scrub the toilet. The hostel was very new and very cool, with funky decor, skateboards, bean bag chairs, flat screen and nice kitchen. I would recommend to book a 4 bed room because then you get to stay in an apartment separate from the common area, where you will share the apartment with three 4 bunks room, two bathrooms, kitchen, living room, tv, balcony and one private room. So you get a flat sharing experience as well as you can use the hostel and common area there, but the choice is there. Perfect for big groups that want an apartment together. The beds were the most comfortable bunk beds I have experienced and there is free wifi everywhere, never had a problem with the signal. the only negative thing I can say about the hostel is that there was a bit of miscommunication between the staff, I wanted to extend my stay for the following night tomorrow and they asked me to do that on line, I did that and they said I could pay it the day after, I wanted to sleep in. They said it was no problem. Then I was woken up in the morning by the cleaning staff and then the receptionist came to get me, turned out that what I had arranged with the reception the night before was never passed over to the following shift, and I was very grumpy when I had to come down to pay and then back up to try to fall back to sleep. This was the only negative thing I encountered, could have been just my bad luck. I would definitely stay there again and will recommend it as it was a very good hostel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

With few friends decided to visit Barcelona this summer, so we found this super cool hostel! People from all around the world come here so it's easy to find someone to hang out. We made many friends and also the staff was very helpful. Took us out to local places which I loved. Also the hostel itself is really clean and we could use computers and was wifi as well!
So I would recommend Sant Jordi to every openminded and outgoing travelers:)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sant Jordi Sagrada Familia? Share your experiences!