“Cool, comfortable, clean” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #73 of 706 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Cool, comfortable, clean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

This place is great, stayed for 4 nights with a friend, you will not find nicer people running a hostel anywhere, they gave detailed sightseeing advice, as well as tips for hidden local restaurants and were also knowledgeable on good bars/clubs. Staff always approachable and friendly. The rooms and the bathrooms are comfortable and clean, and the cleaners are always polite when requesting you to vacate your bed so they can make it at 11am. The whole place has a nice interior design too, which gives the hostel a cool look. The other guests were friendly and relaxed, and there is a strong social side to the hostel too, with owners organizing nights out/sangria nights in the communal living room. Everyone usually joins in and it is very easy to meet the other people in the hostel like this. Location is good, 5 minute walk from la rambla and there is an easy bus connection to barceloneta beach.
The only drawback I can think of is that sometimes the air conditioning is on all night and then it can get cold with only a thin sheet. I recommend you ask for a spare blanket if this happens to you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

After reading all the amazing reviews and the website I though I'd give it a go. Me and my buddy stayed here for 4 nights and couldn't have picked a better Hostel hands down. The women running it, is one out of a million. Her helpfulness and her kindness is beyond anything I have ever seen for a hostel. She basically treated everyone staying there like her own children. The amount of information they gave was amazing. I felt like I could just go up to them and ask them anything without it seeming like I was bothering them. Truly amazing. The reception was 24 hours and so I felt very safe. After 12am everyone had to be quiet and so it was easy to get to sleep. We came back at 5am every morning but were very quiet coming in and so was everyone else. The type of people staying there was fantastic. Everyone was very friendly and open. For example one morning I woke up and just decided to go have Lunch with a group of Brazilians. The whole atmosphere was brilliant. The bathrooms were second to non. I actually looked forward to having a shower every morning and would happily walk bare feet in the bathroom. Everything was spotless clean.

Only note I would add is that there isn't really a place to charge your phone or laptop and go. You need to sit next to it and baby sit it. However I knew everyone very well after the first day and was happy to leave it. Maybe an idea for the future would be to incorporate a plug socket into there lockers.

Room Tip: If you want to meet lots of new wonderful people choose the 10 dorm mixed room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

This place is about 5 minutes walk from the main tourist area of town, so is in a more residential business area with a few cafes around but not much. However it was safe to walk around in the evenings. The dorms are very clean, they have cleaners come in every day to clean everything and redo your sheets etc. The owner is very friendly and helpful. As a single traveller, she made an effort to make sure I interacted with others and got to know other people. If you want to party this is definitely the place for you. But if you want somewhere quiet, stay elsewhere. The three nights I was there, people were in the hostel until around 1am downstairs being noisy and loud drinking before going out (I might have been one of them for one night). So just be warned that it is a social hostel. There is free internet at a great high speed. They help organise events like pub crawls etc. Great europe hostel!

Room Tip: The four bedroom dorm (room six) was very roomy. The lockers are very secure.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Stayed in Albareda for 2 nights after reading the good reviews on the website,
The hostel is a bit remote from center (5-7 minutes walk to La rembla) but everything else is perfect!
Clean, cozy, nice common areas and wi-fi, quiet and small convient stores near by,
friendly and helpful staff, free breakfast, nice and polite guests while I was there,
good choice for party people as well ( even though the hostel is relaxed and not like the other "partyhostel" across europe)

Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

stayed with two friends and had the best time, couldn't recommend it here more! the hostel is so social and everyone got to know each other really well. perfect location for las ramblas and very near the metro station, we used the metro loads so that was useful.
the owners of the hostel were so helpful whenever there was any kind of problem and the sangria nights and organised bar crawls were so fun. the owner of the hostel made a big pasta dish one night and paella another night for everyone to share which was really great.
the hostel was very safe with lockers and people were very respectful about getting a good nights sleep. stay here!!!!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are relatively quiet, I stayed in a ten person room and had no issues with sleep
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Leicester, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Having, stayed 4 nights in Albareda youth hostel, 'average' truly sums it up.

I liked that it was a family-run business and as previous reviews have mentioned, the staff are friendly but we encountered certain issues on our stay.

In partaking in the sangria nights, my friend and I were quite annoyed when our bottle of vodka which we had previously purchased was taken for the common sangria jug without our permission. We also found that some of our food in the fridge would disappear regularly.

Also, there were some issues when returning from a night out; we were not allowed to get our food from the fridge and when we were eventually allowed, I had to eat it on the street outside. I understand that there are other guests sleeping and I certainly would not expect to be allowed use the kitchen facilities or to cook, but it is a 24 hour hostel and I would like to think that I can access my own food in the fridge. Having said that, the organisers for the hostel nights were great and did a great job in getting people to participate.

The "kitchen" was also a let down; one plug-in hot plate cooker for the entire hostel is a joke as we would need at least two to cook a standard meal and found that we had to queue to use it.

The room size was also quite disappointing for 30 euro a night. Further, we were confident that a cleaner stole 5 euro from my friends wallet. It was left under his pillow for 10 minutes as he showered, whilst the maid was tidying the room and he returned to find that his wallet was moved and that 5 euro was missing. We certainly did not want to start making accusations to the management (especially over 5 euro) but it was more the fact that there could've been a greater sum in there along with his bank cards.

The location was good, walking distance from the port and Las Ramblas and the cleanliness of the hostel was very good. The common room was also nice; very comfortable with computers and TV.

In conclusion, great social aspect to the hostel but for such a high price, I would probably look elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Tehran
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

I had a nice vacation in this hostel last July.The nice staffs treated friendly and I felt I was at home.. They were helpful and always try the best .Their Programm for nightly activities was amazing.I hope to be there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to Albareda Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!