Stayed here for two nights, ( Thurs & Friday), before leaving for a cruise. Took the airport bus to the city centre at 4.50 euro each, then a taxi for 20 euro. ( included 2 heavy cases).
The hotel is situated on the fringe of the city centre, in the area called Poblenou. Its a mixed residential/commercial area, with a lot of redevelopment work going on.
The hotel & facilities are classic Holiday Inn Express. Totally functional. Bar, breakfast room, & reception are on the first floor. There is an additional seating area on the ground floor. The building is modern, I would guess only a few years old.
Our room was a standard double, with ensuite shower & wc, ac, tv, hospitality tray, desk, couch & adequate storage. It was comfortable & clean, & being at the side of the building, very quiet..
One minor drawback is no in-room safe.
Receptionists were very friendly, & gave us directions to the metro & shops. We also purchased our Bus Turistic tickets from them at a small discount over the set price.
Continental Breakfast is included in the room rate, & is presented buffet style. There was a good choice. Timing is everything here as It can get very busy. We took breakfast at about 8.30 & took our trays into the bar area which was always quiet.
Free internet access up to 20 minutes is available from 2 PCs in reception. Very useful.
The walk to the nearest metro station at Llacuna is about 10 minutes. Its an interesting stroll, as the area is a hive of activity. Small workshops, all manor of retail shops, modern offices & residential blocks. We did this walk a total of 4 times, including twice at night, & it felt safe. Never experienced any problems & found local people to be very friendly. We purchased single tickets from the machines at about 1.50 euro each. Instructions were in english & easy to follow. Trains were every few minutes, & clean, & it took about 15/20 minutes to the centre. We found it incredibly convenient & easier to navigate the metro than we thought it would be.
Turn left out of the hotel, & in less than 5 minutes you are on the Rambla del Poblenou.
This is a lovely tree lined street, with a supermarket, shops, bars & restaurants. You can follow it to the sea & beaches, taking around 15 minutes. This appears to be where the locals hang out. We walked down here on a Saturday morning, & it crowded with shoppers & the pavement cafes busy with breakfasts & coffees
All in all, we were pleased with this hotel. Its funtional, good value for money, & although the location away from the city centre may put some people off, we found that by using the metro, or a taxi, you could be at the Placa de Catalunya in no time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Express Barcelona City 22@opened in May 2008.A privileged location within the new architectural project 'Barcelona 22@' with easy access makes the hotel an ideal choice for both business and leisure travellers.The Holiday Inn Express Barcelona City 22@ is located at few minutes away from the Barcelona International Convention Centre (CCIB), Forum Area and the beach of 'Mar Bella'. The Sagrada Familia, the Barceloneta area, Plaza Catalunya, las Ramblas and all the major modernist Gaudi's buildings such as La Pedrera & Casa BatllÃ³ are located just at few metro stops away and the Barcelona`s stadium 'Camp Nou' is located 6 km away.Our 186 bedrooms offer a refreshing modern decor, tea & coffee making facilities free of charge, internet access (WIFI in all rooms as well as public areas), flat screen TV with satellite and pay TV available. We offer a delicious complimentary continental buffet breakfast to all our guests!! We are looking forward to welcome you to the 'Hotel Holiday Inn Express Barcelona City 22@'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, IHG, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Holiday Inn Express reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel Barcelona
- Holiday Inn Express Barcelona, Catalonia
- Holiday Inn Barcelona