“Excellent restaurant "A must do" when you are in Barcelona” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurante Somorrostro

Restaurante Somorrostro
Sant Carles, 11 | Barceloneta, Barcelona, Spain (Barceloneta)
93 225 00 10
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Restaurante Somorrostro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #461 of 6,673 Restaurants in Barcelona
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Barceloneta
Description: we close tuesdays!!
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“Excellent restaurant "A must do" when you are in Barcelona”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We visited this restaurant with an international group of 12 persons. We had a lovely 7 course diner which was excellent prepared and everybody was served at same time. Next time i'm in Barcelona i visit again.

Advice to the staff, modest is a nice quality but with such a good restaurant i little bit less modesty with advice to customer about food and wine wouldn't harm. You know what you are doing.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Delicious meal and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This was my third trip to Barcelona and my second time to Somorrostro. This is the only restaurant worth revisting and worth recommanding from my latest trip to Barcelona. The restaurant is small, so I would recommand to order a table. Their dishes vary a lot, so be sure that you choose the best dishes, but the waiters are very helpful and will be pleased to help you. My husband was more pleased with his first two dishes than I was. The dessert was like heaven. I strongly recommand this place

Visited June 2013
Grenoble, France
“Excellent value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Great food, very friendly service and a good atmosphere.
The menu is very creative with good variety.
I eat in many places around the world and this restaurant matches the best of them.
For 30 Euro a person you get a great meal with a good bottle of Spanish wine and very friendly service.
Its the type of place you go to once and then land up going back for more!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lake Oswego, Oregon
“Best Meal and Dining Experience on our trip to Spain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We were staying in the Barceloneta area and our hosts recommended that we try Somorrostro. I am so glad they did. It was by far the best meal we had in Spain, and we had a lot of very good food, and we also agreed it was one of the best meals we have had in any restaurant for quite some time.

It is very small and we did not have reservations, however, they had an open table so they were able to accommodate us. They simply asked that we anticipate waiting 10 minutes or so before placing our order. In the meantime, we enjoyed wine and Olives while we waited. We had our 10 year old and 8 year old along with us and were pleasantly surprised that they had a children's menu, which was as outstanding as the adult menu.

I rated it below Excellent on all levels, including families with children, but I wouldn't take very young children there. I say this because it is a small restaurant and many of the patrons were couples out on a date night. A young child who might be fussy or loud could be disruptive to the ambiance for other diners.

While we waited for our meals our children asked if they could go watch the kitchen as it is open to the main part of the restaurant. I told them they could go quickly and after several minutes they still had not returned. Worried, that they might be disruptive to others dining in the front dining area, I went to check on them. They were quietly fascinated by the attention to detail going into every plate that left the kitchen. Clearly, the chefs were committed to the quality of the food, from both a taste and presentation perspective, and I think watching them was a bit mesmerizing for my kids. When I told the kids that they should come back, the waiter said it was fine if they stayed to watch. He seemed to like seeing children engaged in the cooking process.

As others have mentioned the options are limited, diners have a choice of appetizers, an entree and desert. For starters, I had the tropical salad with marinated Octopus (fantastic mix of flavors) and my husband had the lobster which consisted of a nice size piece of claw meat in a deep rich broth that was beyond delicious. I don't recall his entree, but I had a Duck Confit "hamburger," which consisted of duck confit over a polenta cake with fresh sauteed mushrooms and a wonderful sauce. I loved my entree, but each time a plate went by on its way to another table I thought, wow, that looks amazing.

This is a special restaurant, with great attention to detail at every level, from the service to the ambiance to the quality of the food. If you are in Barcelona and are looking for a great meal definitely try Somorrostro.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Leipzig, Germany
“Sorry Trip Advisor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Sorry but you don't get credit for this one. Actually found this place by mistake. We took a look at the menu posted outside and decided to try it. So glad we did. The menu is limited but the quality was awesome. 4 starters, 4 main dishes, and 3 desserts. My wife had steamed mussels, fis with couscous, and a chocolate bomb that was quite decadent. I had the gambas, suckling pig risotto, and chocolate brownie. Had some great wine too. The best finds are those you find by chance. This was my first time to Barcelona but not my last. Same goes for Somorrostro.