“An Interesting Shape, Unusually Situated and an Intriguing History” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Iglesia de la Vera Cruz

Ranked #8 of 31 Attractions in Segovia
Type: Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Cultural
London, UK
105 attraction reviews
“An Interesting Shape, Unusually Situated and an Intriguing History”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I viewed the Iglesia de la Vera Cruz on a day-trip to Segovia as part of my 7 full-day visit to Madrid.

---
I have compiled extensive individual Trip Advisor 'Trip Lists' for both my day-trip to Segovia and visit to see the sights of Madrid, they are entitled respectively 'Segovia Day-Trip from Madrid Oct 2013' and 'Madrid Attractions (+ Toledo/Segovia Day Trips) : 7 Full-Day Visit Oct 2013'. Please feel free to access them via my TA Profile (by clicking my TA 'name' below the photo on the left of this review) and links in each TL. I hope that they are of interest and use to you...
---

This pretty church is sited to the north, just outside the walled-perimeter of the city at 'ground-level' in a solitary position on a slight rise by a main road.

The shape of the building is unusual and the exterior is very pleasant to look at - see my photo attached to this review.

I couldn't go inside as despite the fact that it SHOULD have been open the curator was on holiday so it was closed; as I knew beforehand I didn't walk down to it, but instead took advantage of the excellent view you can get of it from the viewpoint in front of the Alcazar.

This is a good option if you can't walk to it, don't want to or (like me, especially as it was closed !) can't be bothered - my Trip List has maps/views etc showing where the necessary viewpoints are.

I saved myself the disappointment of finding that it was closed, had I walked to it, by enquiring at the tourist information office located in Plaza Mayor.....

Visited October 2013

Derby, United Kingdom
111 attraction reviews
“Fascinating church”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We hadn't intended to visit this, as it was a bit out of the way and we didn't have long in Segovia. However, we took the wrong path when we were walking outside the walls and ended up going outside the city and found ourselves near this church. It looked interesting, so we waited until it opened up and paid our 2€ to go inside. There's a small leaflet available to read about the history of the church and it really is the most fascinating place.

We've never seen a twelve sided church before and the inside is wonderfully different to any other church we've seen. There is a two floored building inside the church, which you access by a double staircase. Opinion is divided about what this was for, but the main suggestion appears to be that it's where knights kept vigil before they were knighted. The church is now looked after by the Knights of Malta and used for their religious and other ceremonies. You get the sense that the church is stuck in time, in a very good way, as it is over 800 years old and probably hasn't changed that much. It's well worth a visit and you get a great view of the Alcazar too.

Visited December 2013
gulf shores
144 attraction reviews
“The reason we came to Segovia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My wife and I visited the Iglesia de la Vera Cruz in Segovia in July 2013. It is a nice downhill walk to the Church. The Church was founded by the Knights of Templar in the 13th Century. The Church is inspired on the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, the orgin of the Templar order. It was said that a piece of the True Coss was housed there. It is not there anymore. Folks say that it has been moved up the road to a Church in the village of Zamarramala. We walked to that Church but it was locked up. The Iglesia de la Vera Cruz is beautiful. The attendant gives you a guide which tells you what you are looking at. I wish we would have had a tour guide here. You could see a place where the piece of the Cross would have been kept. There is a tomb inside the Church. For my wife and I we loved it. It is true that you can get a good picture of the Alcazar from the Church grounds. I am glad we were able to see it.

Visited July 2013
Tucson, Arizona, United States
13 attraction reviews
“Modest and beautiful.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

It is a small and modest church but has a lot of history and beauty inside. It houses a relic which is said to be a piece of cross Jesus was crucified on.

Visited July 2013
Kingston, Canada
40 attraction reviews
“Iglesia de la Vera Cruz Review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

This is one of the more interesting and unusual medaeval European churches that I have visited due to its 12-sided polygon shape and raised part in the middle. Well worth a visit and the associated walk down and climb back up if you have the time and physical energy. This location also provides a different and impressive view of the alcazar from below.

Visited April 2013