“Not kosher, but unusual Sefardic food” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 170 Restaurants in Segovia
Cuisines: Spanish, Tapas, Israeli, Grill
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
New York
“Not kosher, but unusual Sefardic food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

When we asked if it was kosher, management said "practically". In fact, we sat next to people splitting a pig! There were two traditional sephardic menus - one meat, one dairy. The best dish was duck confit served with roasted pears, dates, and prunes - really good. Bacaloa perfectly cooked but the quince sauce was too heavy. Lamb with honey and prunes was good but the lamb was not flavorful enough for it to be great. Dessert was good - a sponge cake with a fruit paste. Scrambled eggs with mushroom and almonds was interesting a bit bland. Toast with potato and an eggplant sauce was quite good. A great change of pace, quite good not great - but unlike any food I have had outside of Cordoba and Granada.

Visited April 2012

LA
“So good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Try the taste of the food at this restaurant if you are close. First of all, take a look at the building and go in. Their food is high quality... it doesn't matter if you eating just tapas or a roast beef. Everything is very good. The staff is very proffessional, as well as detailed people. Price is on average with the quality of the food.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“very average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

we only went there because of the ratings on this website : we got very disappointed by the food there. Tapas were not good at all, very oily, full of sugar... we did not like any of the 5 tapas we tried and for which they got rewards... maybe the restaurant is ok ???

Visited November 2012
London UK
“Quintessence of authentic Castillan cuisine and generous, kind service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We were recommended to El Fogon by our Spanish son-in-law who just happens to know and love good food as we do. He, in turn, had been recommended to visit El fogon by other gastronomic fellow-travellers.

Firstly, the tapas bar is quite one of the finest I've ever been in, portion sizes incredibly generous and cerveza served in frosted jaras which actually froze my beer when I left it down for a couple of minutes!! The restaurant served us authentic cochinilla (suckling-pig) and my wife enjoyed a herb-infused beef solomillo (fillet steak). Her main course was preceded with a mountainous mixed salad; mine with a classic bean soup. Everthing was brilliant, kindly advice from experienced waiters and a first-class house carafe was ordered.

I praise my Portuguese wife for her culinary virtuosity and professional attributes but this restaurant was an absolute pleasure to visit and I shall recommend it to anyone I know planning on a visit to Segovia: I certainly will make it a regular stop-off as I visit my daughter in Madrid several times a year.

The restaurant is not expensive and helpings are truly generous so I left a bigger tip than usual such was our enjoyment of the place!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tel Aviv, Israel
“It is OK”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I do not like writing bad things, or rather not write at all, but It is almost impossible to find a non touristic restaurant in Segovia - the very few are just outside the bus station. Unfortunately, even though there are few locals sitting outside on the bar chairs, it is still a tourist restaurant.
The place is divided by 2: one part is "the restaurant" with white maps over the tables - looks very 80's. The "Tapas bar" is at the entrance with fabrics on the wall (from India?), TV, and a feel of a diner. The waiters are wearing ties and suits which seems wierd for a tapas bar. There was an English menu, but it was a mass till we find out there is an extra menu, which is not in English. It all took like 25 minutes till we could make an order.
The food was really basic - a salad which was a bunch tomatoes (still green!) and some uncut vegtabels with no oil, salt, nothing at all! Then a piece of fish with cooked tomatoes which seems like lying on the plate for ages... the desert: rice with milk was, however, special and a real Spanish delight. Yet, it was like a home made food by untalented cook.

The chef had the guts to write his name on the menu, and that was a big laugh. They gave us a lot of red wine which they make themselves, and it was the best of the whole meal.

All in all, I'd come for a beer or wine, but I would not recommend the food. Hopefully, they serve better food at the "restaurant part" of the place.

• Visited August 2012