“Pleasant surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Description: RESTAURANTE LA JUDERIA DE SEGOVIA.A RITMO DE ESPECIAS
Canberra, Australia
“Pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

We looked for this restaurant as we had read it was good in the lonely Planet guide. But we just ordered tapas at the bar, which is normally less expensive, as we thought it would be expensive and probably overrated. We were then invited to sit in the restaurant anyway, and were served three amazing dishes, all exquisitely presented, with very interesting mixes of flavours. We were impressed at how we were treated, as honoured guests, even though we had just dropped in for a quick lunch. The waiter told us a lot about the food, and obviously was an expert. We really enjoyed our lunch there. This restaurant deserves a visit, the chef is excellent and the staff exceptional.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Heraklion, Greece
“Amazing food, really cosy environment and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

I only went to this restaurant because it was #1 in the TripAdvisor ranking and I have to say that I agree completely! The food was really good, it reminded me of Greek food (at least the oriental-influenced part of Greek cuisine). The environment was really cosy, with soft light and traditional wooden sofas with colorful covers. I was also impressed by the service, the waiter was eager to help and translate anything in the menu in English. All in all, probably the best restaurant in Segovia!

• Visited December 2011
Tampa, f
“Nice choice in Segovia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I ended up here after wandering around the old Jewish area and it looked interesting and not just like all the other places in Plaza Mayor, so I gave it a shot. It was very good. I did order the typical Segovian menu with roast pig, etc. and it was excellent. The pricing is very fair for the food you receive and I had great service- the owner and another waiter were working the dining room. I am a solo traveler and they also made me feel very welcome. My Spanish is very basic and mostly pleasantries and they made sure that I understand the menu, etc., which was great. I also liked the decor- very different than the usual restaurants in the area.

• Visited November 2011
Portland, Maine
“Mixed Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

My wife and I went to this restaurant based upon the trip advisor high recommendations. I was really looking forward to this restaurant after having just terrible food the night before at a resturant in the main plaza. Our experience was very mixed. The food is a mix of Spanish and Middle East, which make choices interesting. There were only two other couples in the Restaurant, one of which were very loud and obnoxious, so that may have tainted our visit. . However, I was expecting more from the food. The salad was very good, with goat cheese and nuts, and the hummus was good. We both had the lamb, which was very over cooked. We were not asked how we would like it cooked, but that had been our experience up to this point in both Segovia and Madrid. Perhaps the notion of "roasting" the meat means you get it well done in this part of Spain. The house wine was just OK, nothing special. Did not have the same problem with overcooked food in Barcelona. We would not go back just based on how overcooked the meal was. I do agree with the comments about the staffing, it looks like this is a very family run business, with one server trying to handle everything. Even with only three couples, she seemed harried.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rio de Janeiro
“Don't tkink twice!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

We were in Segovia two days ago and decided to skip the cochinillo. As Juderia is so well ranked we gave it a shot. And I am glad we did. The food is amazing. All our dishes were wonderful. We both had the lunch menu: goat cheese and lettuce salad, homum tahine, shal awarma, a meat dish and desserts. I am still dreaming about my shal awarma!! The owner is very nice and took the time to explain us all the dishes. When he knew we were Brazilian he put a bossa nova record on. Really thoughtful. We talked about arabian food and we asked about a dish called kibe, so usual but out of the menu. He explained that it did not fit the Spanish taste but he kept preparing it for his family. Then, he brought us two kibes! Delicious! Crispy outside and the best meat used to prepare it! No wonder this place is number 1! If you are in Segovia, don't think twice. Skip the cochinillo and head to Juderia.

• Visited October 2011