“Rocking Toilets but in Good Location” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Monterrey
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Azafranal, 21, 37001 Salamanca, Spain   |
Ranked #65 of 70 Hotels in Salamanca
ottawa
“Rocking Toilets but in Good Location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

As countless others have indicated the BEST thing about this hotel is its LOCATION ..everything that you would really want to see is within walking distance .
The front desk staff are sometimes there ,Why they have a door man
is questionable as he does nothing ..maybe he is a security guard .
The TV in the room is a joke see others pics ,,I really did not know that hotels had those kinds of TVs anymore..I could not find a magnifying glass to view it .Actually ,I never turned it on to see if it worked since I spent all of
my free time wandering the city .The hotel was just a place to sleep and nothing more .
My bathroom was not like the ones in the pictures .. really some had marble floors? wow,
looks like I missed out on that perk ..the one perk that I did have and another fellow guest said that she also had was a rocking toilet ..when you moved on the toilet it moved with you ..I thought that was a nice extra to have ...they are not bolted to the floor properly .
Breakfast is complete CHAOS since the hotel caters to large tour groups ..if you do not arrive at the "opening bell" then you will wait in line for a very long time to get anything if you want an early breakfast ..because tour groups leave the hotel early, I suggest that you wait till 8:30 or 9am to eat ... by that time the groups are gone .
Dinner is an expensive joke ..eat at one of the fabulous eateries located outside the hotel . One dinner was enough !
Again ,if you are only staying for one or two nights then I guess you can put up with the street noise and the 3 star room ..it is near
everything so it saves getting taxis and buses ,etc .
Just love that rocking toilet ...have to patent that thing !!

Room Tip: avoid any front rooms near the streets
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Monterrey during a weekend visit to Salamanca. The booking was made through an Internet service and we were not sure what to expect for the modest price. We were delightfully surprised to encounter a four-star hotel in the heart of the city, just a few minutes by foot from the Plaza Mayor. Beds exceptionally comfortable!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Edwardsville, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

I thought the public places in this hotel were fine...very clean, if not smoky due to the large amount of people who seem to smoke in Spain. Our room was clean, but the carpet was worn. Beds were very comfy. Street noise was loud, and we had to keep our window closed because of it...We were with a tour group of 30, so maybe it's different when you're on your own, but our food was pretty good-everything was well prepared and hot. Nothing fancy, but very satisfying. I enjoyed the breakfast, too. Now for the best part of this hotel....across the street and down a corridor is an internet/laundrymat! They will wash your clothes, or you can stay and surf the net while your clothes are getting clean. I washed and dried a large load of clothes, and got to e-mail my friends for about 9 euros. Well worth it, considering I packed light and my clothes weren't their freshest! This hotel is soooo close to all you'll want to see in Salamanca, I think for a couple of nights, the pluses outweigh the minuses.

• Stayed June 2010
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

Avoid rooms on the first floor (European 1st floor) and at the front of the hotel. Our first room was on the first floor. The putrid green and orange carpet was worn and filthy. The tacky orange satiny bedspreads didn't look so clean either. The bathroom had the toilet wedged between the high bathtub and the wall leaving about an inch or two on each side and the toilet front was only inches from the bidet making it practically impossible to use. The street noise was dreadful. We complained and were moved to a room on the second floor at the back. The room was clean with new wood floors and simple (but new and clean) bedspreads. The bathroom was roomy and clean. We slept well because it was quiet. Others in our group remained in their original rooms and complained all the next day how they couldn't sleep because of street noise ALL night. The breakfast was generous though a guard was stationed near the door to prevent guests from taking so much as an apple for later. One woman in our group did try to take out a banana--and was she ever sorry!

• Stayed November 2009
West Lancs
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

This hotel seemed to be popular with organisers of large groups os tourists. When we arrive, the doorman did not open the door or help us with our luggage through the doors. The receptionist was dressed in a dowdy fashion and a welcoming smile was certainly not part of his 'meet and greet' job spec! Public areas were spoiled by dirty carpets and cleanliness did not seem to be particularly important.
Our bedroom was adequate but the ensuite bathroom was quite cramped and pokey with dark grey tiles from floor to ceiling. Towels were of a poor quality and not really fit for purpose, that is drying.
Although access to Salamanca was easy from the hotel, the area was very noisy at night and at the weekend the noise continued throughout the night until after 5.00 am. It made one grateful that it was holiday time and that the students had gone home!
Breakfast was adequate and some of the staff in attendance in the dining room were pleasant.
All in all, this was a hotel in which one would spend as little time as possible.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

I stayed here for one night as part of a tour around Spain (with a small group). The hotel & my single room were satisfactory. Major complaint for me was that my room overlooked the main street. While the temperature was pleasant during my stay, I regretted that I had to keep my window shut to muffle unbearable traffic noise and late night/early morning revellers. The hotel was convenient to sites of interest and shopping. Loved the bidet which seems to be a standard fixture in Spanish bathrooms.

• Stayed June 2009

Been to Hotel Monterrey? Share your experiences!