“Nice hotel in a great location, but less luxury than expected” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Alfonso V
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avda. Padre Isla, 1, 24002 Leon, Spain   |
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Leon
La Coruna, Spain
“Nice hotel in a great location, but less luxury than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

We stayed for just one Friday night, as we got to Leon for a wedding. The hotel is easy to reach and right in the center of the city. Thay have a parking but it is in a separate building right across the street and it is not suitable for very large cars (anything bigger than a 00' Audi A6 may mean trouble getting in and out).
The reception is about six steps above the street level and there was no ramp in sight. Keep it in mind if you use a wheelchair or baby car. They may have some alternative access but I could not see it, so it is definitely worth asking in advance if you need that.
Staff was kind and efficient, and we checked-in in a minute.
Interiors are nice showing a mix of traditional and modern features. The room was spacious and had a very nice view of Santo Domingo Circus. We could see that many rooms enjoyed that kind of view.
It was also comfortable and with a nice set of amenities as expected for the hotel rating. However, furniture looked a bit dated and I expected it to be better looking.
Overall, a good choice with some minor flaws, already mentioned.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011 via mobile

They couldn't park my car as it was too big (BMW 320)? the room was not clean, ripped sheets, restaurant was over priced. I can't believe this place is on the Expedia recommended list.

• Stayed July 2011
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

I stayed here with my boyfriend in June and the hotel was just perfect. It has the best location, walking distance from "El Humedo" and the Cathedral. The room was very comfortable and had a little living room. It was also perfectly clean. My only complaint would be that since it was summer, it was hot and the air conditioning in the room was not working properly, the room was always hot. I did want to comment on the fact that I lost my cell phone which I left in the room by accident and noticed it when I was already on the plain back to Barcelona. I called the hotel and they took my cell phone and sent it next day. The next morning it was in my hotel at 8:00AM! Now that is called SERVICE! Thank you very much. I will definitely stay here again on my next visit to Leon.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Alicante, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

This hotel is situated in the central city. The room size and bed size are OK.
But the room facility and service is not so good.
The front man couldn't understand English very well. I couldn't access WI-FI in the room, only in the lobby.
The hot water didn't come out, just warm. There was no extra toilet paper, so I should have contact the front dest. But there is no phone information how to call the reception.
The bed spring is poor, so it's not so good to sleep.
If this hotel is 3-star or cheper, there would be OK. But it doesn't worth 4-star hotel. I never recommend this hotel if you wish 4-star hotel's service.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

We were very pleased with the location of this hotel, which is centrally located and just a short walk to the Cathedral, certainly Leon's most impressive site. The staff are very pleasant and helpful. We had two different rooms, and they were variable in size and comfort. I'd recommend requesting to NOT be in any of the rooms ending in -09, as these have limited space and a very odd setup with a wooden barrier just as you walk in which is designed to prevent seeing into the room, but it has the effect of just getting in the way. Although the rooms are clean and comfortable, the hotel is close to busy streets, and the street noise can be significant even with the windows closed.

This is a very pleasant place to stay overall, and it was a great deal at around 90 euro per night.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2006

This is a fair choice, specially because of its privileged location but I wouldn't give it 4 stars.

The room was a bit on the small side and there was not wireless connection in the rooms which is expected in any 4 star hotel nowadadays. There is in the lobby but you cannot relax and get some work done in there...

The breakfast selection is definitely not what you would get on a 4 star hotel.

I thing this hotel would be a good deal if it was 3 stars and the price tag that goes with it.

I found it a bit expensive for what you get but I guess that is the best you can get in Leon, anyway.

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2006

While the hotel has a central location and its rooms are large and well appointed, we found its staff to be very unhelpful on our recent visit. Since the hotel in the centre of Leon, traffic is bad. Therefore there is no space to easily unpack your car. Despite the fact that it was raining, none of the staff offered to help us with our bags, never mind give assistance with getting into the hotel's parking lot which is on the other side of the street, which meant trying to get across two lanes of heavy traffic.

Our problems got worse when we got into our room, despite the fact that we had asked for a non-smoking room with a double room, we were given one that smelled of cigar smoke and had two twin beds. The staff on the front desk said that their English was not good and that they could not help us. A manager who we talked to on the phone said that was all that was available that night, despite the fact that the hotel was far from full. Also at Euro 11.50 each, their breakfast buffet left much to be desired compared to others we had had on our trip.

While we had intended to stay two nights, we left after staying only one, given the lack of service and poor room we were given. Which it also turned out, was not very clean. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, given our experience.

• Stayed February 2006

Been to Hotel Alfonso V? Share your experiences!