“Smart hotel in ancient building near to Cathedral” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Collection Palacio de Burgos

You added NH Collection Palacio de Burgos to your Saves list
NH Collection Palacio de Burgos
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle de la Merced, 13, 09002 Burgos, Spain (Formerly NH Palacio de la Merced)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5% EXTRA DISCOUNT
Ranked #2 of 55 Hotels in Burgos
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lancaster
“Smart hotel in ancient building near to Cathedral”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This old Bishop's palace is located next to the river and front rooms have impressive views of the cathedral and the river.The old town is two minutes' walk away. There is a large lobby, with bar and restaurant. Parking is in the basement. Our Premium room was spacious, with large comfortable bed and good-sized bathroom (which had a heated anti-steam mirror). There was a window seat and easy chairs to enhance our comfort. The room was quiet, despite being next to a busy road. Restaurant was excellent. Staff were helpful.
Great for a one-night stop-over.

Room Tip: Ask for a front-facing room on a high floor, for good views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Greek first
France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

One of the most comfortable hotel rooms we've stayed in. Large room, big kingsize bed, excellent shower, completely quiet, overlooking the interior courtyard. Good choice of satellite channels including sport channels. Hotel has perfect blend of old and modern. No problem parking in the street at the side of the hotel where parking is free from 7pm to (I believe) 9am. You can put money in the meter the night before and it carries over to the morning so you don't have to get up early to move the car. Only slight problem was the wifi which was not a very good connection at the time.

Room Tip: Our room overlooking the interior courtyard was very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed there for two nights for Easter.
The things I was really impressed with:
- Location. It's a stone's throw away from the historical centre, facing the river.
- Building. It is a converted monastery and has historical feeling about it, with ample space and high ceilings.
- Bathroom layout. Not sure if it's the same in all rooms or just in ours... The toilet, bidet and bathtub were grouped in one room and handbasin in the other.. I actually liked the the idea - I could do my makeup routine in peace and away from steam and splashes from my husbands' shower.
- Position of showerhead. Men will most likely not appreciate my point (my husband didn't understand my excitement). But for many women it may make a difference. The bathtub tap was located on the front wall, just in front of you if you stand facing the tub. And the shower could be put into the holder on the mixer making it possible to wash your hair without holding the showerhead in your hand if you wash it like me upside down in the bathtub!
- Toilettries. Though the design and colour of the packaging of these little packets are too tacky for my liking and, to my mind, do not go well with the hotel theme, I loved tangerine flavour of soap. Another thing - they actually had a proper sponge! There is only a couple of hotels that I know of that provide those. Thumbs up!
- No noise. The four wings of the building make a square with courtyard in the middle, so many rooms face inwards. It is really quiet with the only sound being chime of the church bell. We also had three large windows in the room and though there was not much view during the day, at night the lit bell tower looked very beautiful.
Can not comment on food as we overslept breakfast on both days and ate out in the evenings.
What I found to be a buzzkill, is the attitude of the lady at reception on the day of our arrival. She didn't welcome us, didn't even say hello - just "I need your passports". Not acceptable for the hotel of such a standard.
Overall, I'll definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed here early January and had a very pleasant stay. The position of the hotel is perfect for the centre of the city. The rooms are very modern as are the bathrooms. The breakfast was the best of any hotel we have stayed in. The hotel has it's own underground car part. The price charged,we felt was very reasonable given the quality and position. We would happily stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

As a solo traveller, I stayed here for one night on the way from San Sebastian to Madrid.Burgos is a wonderful small city that I most enjoyed.
Having booked through Tripadvisor, I had gotten a good rate that did not include breakfast. Reception staff facilitated an early check in for me circa 12pm and were helpful, but not particularly warm or welcoming.
The location is super - right across the river from the Cathedral and many other attractions.
The room was just fine and very comfortable. I did not have breakfast in the hotel, instead visiting a nearby cafe. I did have a drink in the bar on the night and the barman was excellent - engaging, chatting to customers and providing excellent service.
The building itself was originally an old monastery or some such and the restoration work has been brilliantly done.
I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Staying at this hotel was a bit of a treat for our last night in Spain, having ridden through France and The Pyrenees on a bike. It was a hoot roaring up on the Triumph to such a grand looking hotel - a style of hotel I'm not really that used to! Anyway, Palacio de la Merced is fascinating if only for the fact that it occupies a 16th century building with a cloister. It has an air of superiority and is quite formal and corporate (and a bit stuffy), but that said, we had a good 'room only' deal and the bed was enormous as was the bathroom. The hotel is well placed for the cathedral, plaza, parks and many restaurants and cafes - we loved the location. Initially, we said no to breakfast at 15 euros each (ouch)... but then changed our minds as we were on holiday! Well, I've never seen such choice - you could eat yourself to a standstill...

Room Tip: We had a room at the back, so it was quiet but there was no view, however we got some quality sleep...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore,MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My wife and I drove to Burgos from Madrid tired from our flight from the US. Wanting a big room with a big bed and full size shower, this was it. If you are driving, they have a garage that is right attached to the hotel. This makes carrying your luggage very easy.

We booked a junior suite which was actually two rooms plus is big bathroom. The first room had a couch and TV with a nice view of Burgos. The bedroom had a king bed and desk. Bathroom was great with separate area with sink. More than enough room for two. I would say a family of 4 would have enjoyed it.

The location is very good and an easy walk to the attractions and bars/tapas/ restaurants. We did not eat the breakfast as all of the bars offer a cortado and pastry for less than 2EU. I thought their breakfast was over priced.

This is a great place to stay. They also had free wifi!

Room Tip: Junior Suite for big room with King Bed and Shower
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to NH Collection Palacio de Burgos? Share your experiences!