“Solid and memorable” 5 of 5 stars

Penysarn, Anglesey
22 attraction reviews
“Solid and memorable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This was very close to Hotel Martin where we stayed. We had the joy of passing it each time we went up into the old city.

Visited September 2012

Ontario, California
17 attraction reviews
“It's pretty, but not impressive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I might have felt different had I spent time at the gate but I just passed it on my way into and out of the historic center. You might enjoy it more but I didn't spend enough time and I'm not regretting it.

Visited June 2012
Buenos Aires, Argentina
73 attraction reviews
“To start a walking tour toward the heart of Toledo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We visited Toledo from Madrid by car and our GPS guided us to one of the entrances of the old town. Fortunatelly this was my first image of Toledo and my parking reference too.
The gate originally was muslim and was completely rebuilt by Carlos V and Felipe II in the XVI century. It's worth taking some minutes there.
Then you can start the amazing walking tour toward the heart of Toledo.

Visited July 2012
NJ
471 attraction reviews
1,135 helpful votes 1,135 helpful votes
“Monumental!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

This is a fabulous example of architecture of its day. Our hotel was very near, and the restaurant of the hotel abutted up against the walls of this gate. It must have been very impressive to anyone considering attempting to conquer Toledo.

Visited July 2011
Dallas
200 attraction reviews
“Cool to see”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

These gates weren’t on our self guided walking tour (see below) but when we passed them on the bus we decided we needed to get to them to take a picture because they looked so cool. The flower picture I took was near the bus stop right by these gates. It was a cool little park with a gazebo in the middle.

We did a day trip Toledo from Madrid like most people. I pre-booked the Renfe tickets (which cannot be booked more than 62 days out) on their website (when it worked) and when it didn’t I used this website http://petrabax.com/ & paid the small fee they charge for booking to know it was done.
In my opinion, the $5 fee is well worth it given the trouble Renfe can be. If you want to give Renfe’s site a shot this link is very helpful - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid:Spain:Buying.Renfe.Tickets.Online..html

We took the 9:20 train that got us to Toledo at 9:53 We then took the city bus (you can take 5,6 or 22) to Plaza de Zocodover Sq which is in the center of everything. The bus is easy & only 1.20/person/per ride. The busses pick up outside the station, just walk to your right until you see the stop (it’s obvious once you’re there)
We spent the day doing this self guided walking tour http://www.spain.info/en_US/reportajes/un_dia_en_toledo.html It was a good way to see what Toledo had to offer but their suggested times are waaaaaayyy too long in my opinion. We had so much extra time we didn’t know what to do & actually ended up taking an earlier train back. (We were supposed to take the 5:25 train back to Madrid but took the 4:15 instead ~ which Renfe will change your tickets for free which is very nice if your plans change)
I think 6 hours in Toledo was plenty of time for us but we didn’t go into everything that the tour takes about going into, we more walked around & looked at stuff. We did stop for the snack at the Alcazar fortress library (which had nice views) and we also went into the Iglesia de San Ildefonso (Jesuitas) church so we could climb the tours & see the great views of the rest of Toledo (this is a must!)

We also did a side trip to Avila & Segovia (in one day), if you only have time for 1 side trip from Madrid I’d suggest the Avila/Segovia route over the Toledo route.

Visited April 2012