“Crap!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 36 Hotels in Santander
Santander
“Crap!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I am lying on the bed in this hotel with the headboard banging the wall even if I just move an inch. I am shocked this is receiving the reviews it is. I have just spent a month walking the camino, booked a ferry home and so thought a 3 star hotel for a couple of nights would be a nice way to end my trip. Wrong.
I booked on booking.com, and was told I could pay cash on arrival. Want to use up the euros. I requested a quiet room.
As I entered the tired looking lobby I just knew. The guy could barely tear himself away from his phone. He informed me payment had already been taken on my card. I told him I was not happy about that and he shrugged. I was then informed there was no bar, not told anything about what the hotel did offer or anything nearby. I was handed my crappy plastic door key and not even acknowledged. Normally I would say something but I was tired.
I went up to the room. I have seen much better one stars than this. Revolting yellow and blue walls, all marked and scuffed, great cracks running down them. A horrendous polystyrene tiled office ceiling and a blue lino floor torn and really creaky. I couldn't connect to the free wifi . I went into the bathroom to freshen up and the bath was full of hair and public hair.
I went to reception and the girl just looked at me blankly, muttered something to her friend and laughed. This is meant to be a three star hotel. No concept of service whatsoever. I told her I was really hacked off. The shrug again...no apology for a filthy bath. I told her I wouldn't charge her for my cleaning it and she started to get defensive. I mean, come on!
Now to cap it all i have just filled the sink to have a shave...thought I could here water dripping...looked under the sink and it is p.....g out of a rotten hole they have tried to fill with silicone. Also upstairs have arrived and they may as well be in my room with me thanks to the floorboards and no doubt blue crap Lino on their floor.
The worst part is I have another night here. The worst 160 euros I have ever spent in Europe. Oh and the balconys are lethal if you've got kids. Seriously avoid this dump. It's just a complete rip off. Goodnight sweet dreams because I won't be.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Kristiansand, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We were a goup of 7 young people staying in Sandander for 2 nights and we were very pleased with our stay. Hotel Central had nice staff and was VERY central! The terrasse on the roof was fantastic, perfect for home made lunch and some beers in the sun. Very nice view! The hotel building is quite old, which you could notice. Very thin walls, so you heard others walking above you, but it didn't bother us. Not the nicest hotel, but for the price and the location, you get enough for your money! The weather was a bit cold, so we didn't go to the sea, but there's still a lot to do in Santander! The hotel receptionist would explain us everything we wanted to know.

Like sandwiches and coffee? Try a café mediano and a sandwich at Café Pombo!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed here for one night en route back from Camino home to Dublin. On arrival after a long day travelling by train from Astorga the girl on reception was so unhelpful , unfriendly in fact just uneverything. No eye contact, never said thank you, not once. Didn't offer breakfast , dinner, map of area ( we know Sanatnader well, but she didn't know that ). The rooms was painted, wait for it, blue and yellow! Not pastel, deep blue and yellow. The curtains were flowery and the headboard had flowers painted on it. It was like a travellers caravan. We were only staying one night and were tired so a shower and to bed so it didn't really matter but if the stay was any longer, we would definitely have been moving on.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Our family of 4 pitched up in Sunny Santander after doing the Brittany Ferry crossing,it had never been our intention to dash off to our destination immediately instead we wanted to chill out for a bit ,The Hotel Central is perfect for this.A large family room on the top room which is competitively priced at time of writing.However the best thing was the roof terrace where we had our tea and breakfast bought from the local supermarket 5 minutes walk away,stunning views including the ferry departing for its return journey and then a good nights sleep before going on to Bilbao from the bus station ,which is 5 minutes away,I fact everything is 5 minutes away!one downside...people with vertigo might struggle with the roof terrace..enjoy.

Room Tip: The top room has private access to its own part of the terrace,people with very young children shoul...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Fife, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

The hotel is located about 10 minutes walk from the bus station and is close to shops, restaurants and the sea front promenade. The interior of the hotel is rather run down and the staff we encountered were indifferent or dour. Our room on the 5th floor was spacious and had a partial sea view. Spotlights in our bathroom were fused and one of the lamps in the bedroom had loose, exposed wiring. The buffet breakfast was fairly good and we were able to access free wifi in all parts of the hotel. Overall a good value choice for a short break, provided you don't plan to spend a great deal of time in the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The Hotel Central in Santander is the perfect base for a visit to this city. It is not far from the bus and train stations and it is right beside the bars and the restaurants. The rooms were large. Although our room looked onto a small interior courtyard this meant it was very quiet. There is a small roof terrace with amazing views over the sea on floor 6. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. Sardinero beach is beautiful and is about a 40 minute walk along the sea front or a 1 Euro trip by local bus.

Room Tip: Street view rooms are noisy. Rooms facing the small courtyard are quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
santander
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

what a find, right in the heart of santander, not far from the beach. Old wordly place, good value for money. plus a pretty good buffet breakfast, be careful with the furnace toaster!! lol.
and another bonus, cafe vienes, a bar facing to hotel entrance, smallest bar in santander, very friendly barman, cheap drinks too!!
what more could you want?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Central? Share your experiences!