“A delightful surprise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Mencey

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Mencey to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Mencey
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Doctor Jose Naveiras, 38, 38004 Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Tenerife, Spain   |
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“A delightful surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Chosen because of favourable TripAdvisor reviews we were surprised and impressed when we arrived. The hotel has recently been refurbished (c.2012) but this was not a 'lick of paint and new drapes' makeover - the hotel appears to have been rebuilt from the outside in. Cool marble in reception, modern attractive rooms, and clean lines everywhere. We were able to eat breakfast outside (good buffet, eggs to order) and had dinner in the hotel (we were not there long enough to explore the rest of Santa Cruz) - the food was good but not exceptional and the service was friendly but not intrusive. The price was very good value - but when the hotel regains its client base lost during the long refurbishment you may have to pay what the hotel is really worth!read less

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Torrevieja, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

Not a good experience!

Travelling with a disabled person? Beware!
Package holiday? Beware!

Mum and I arrived having pre-requested a disabled appropriate room with a walk in shower. Jet2 had phoned the hotel, and had been told that this was fine; they could book us a room that would fit our needs, and so we chose this hotel because of this; inspite of the fact that we had to pay to upgrade our room to a "superioe boulevard room".

Ooops!

When we arrived, we had to be taken through the suitcase storage area, as there were too many stairs. Every time we entered or left the hotel, we had to go through the same process - which often involved moving numerous suitcases to let us through!

Problem 1 - The Rooms
Although I spoke to the receptionist to confirm that our room had a walk in shower (no language barrier - I speak fluent Spanish to A Level and beyond!) an was assured ta=hat it did, it did not take us long to discover that our pleasant (although not amazing) room did NOT have this facility. The only shower was over the bath - a bath that my disable mother could not possibly have got into!
Back to Reception - change of rooms ensued - top floor (which would not be legally acceptable in the UK for disabled person!) to a room that really diod not appear to be superior in any way. In fact, as the non-disabled member of the party, I have to say that I found it to be a bog standard room! It had:
* fewer toiletries
* no shower caps
* no bathrobes or slippers (both of which had been in the previous room that they had shown us)
* no bidet (which had been in the other room)
* only a shower - no bath for the non-disabled member of the party (which we had been led to believe we would have)
Clearly we had been spoilt the previous Christmas, when the hotel room we had stayed in had sported a larger bathroom than the bedroom we stayed in this year; toiletries were fantastic and were replaced daily without request; robes were in the room from the start and slipper sizes were matched as near as possible) to our shoe size from the start - and this was also 5 star (The Hotel Botanico at Santa Cruz)

Problem 2 - Festive Meals
Travelling with Jet2.com for Christmas and New Year, we were assured that Gala meals for both Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve were included in our holiday; however, on arrival, we were advised to "upgrade our board" to include the gala meals at the price of 45 euros for Christmas and around 120 euros for New Year! I contacted our local rep, who contacted the hotel & were told that the gala meals were included and that we just had to collect our tickets (at least for Christmas Eve) - which I then did - but I can't help wondering how many people ended up paying twice for this!
All the documentation (tickets and advance notice) said that the gala meal was to be held in the restaurant Mencey from 7:30; so we presented ourselves there at the correct time. I showed my ticket, and we were shown to a table, where we were presented with a menu that didn't match eh one that we had been given ... in fact, it had a standard 'menu del noche' menu on it.- nice enough, but not what we had been promised. A waitress came to take our drinks order, and I waved the ticket again. She disappeared, only to return 5 minutes later to tell us that we were 'in the wrong place'! (Bear in mind the fact that I had already show this ticket to the maitre d', who'd then shown us to this table!) She took us to the right place, and we were given the correct meal ... eventually ... although the service was still poor.

New year's Eve Meal - this was even more of a saga! Also supposed to have been included in our package; however, when we went down before breakfast on the 31st December, we were told that there would be a surcharge of 119 euros ... each!!! I pointed out that it was included in our holiday - at which point, I was told that I had already been charged a surcharge for the Christmas meal!!! I said no, it was included in our holiday.
A long discussion then ensued, after which I was told that Jet 2 were to be billed as it was part of our contract with them (but surely also their contract with Jet2?) Tickets would be delivered to our room.
5 pm on the same day - no tickets had been delivered, so I went to the Reception again ... only to be given the same story about surcharges! Holding my temper with great difficulty, I went through the story again & was finally issued a pair of tickets for the meal, reception and party!
I have to wonder - how many people gave up or allowed themselves to be charged extra?

Problem 3 - The Food
The breakfasts were fantastic, but the rest of the food left a lot to be desired.
Much of this was rather strange! i ended up visiting a neighbouring pharmacist for some IBS medication, as it set off various stomach problems.
I have to ask - was this a change of chefs for the holiday period? Does the chef ever taste his food? Do the management taste it?
There were some rather strange combinations here.
*Sole menier was served with two half-cooked cocktail (pickled) onions!
*Fillet of pork was served RARE!!! Whilst I like rare meat (and eat my beef and venison blue), I would never dream of eating rare pork. Slightly pink, yes. Rare - no! I felt slightly nauseous for 24 hours afterwards.
* Pork stroganoff could have been very tasty - if only it had been served with mushrooms, rather than gherkins!!!! (Yes - that's real gherkins, preserved in vinegar ... in a creamy sauce!) Hmmm!
*Fish - ironically this was mostly overcooked, whilst the majority of the meat was undercooked!

Problem 4 - room cleaning
If you don't put the 'Do not Disturb' sign out,, you are likely to be disturbed before 9.00 am for room cleaning!!!

Other Notes
Spa - why do we have to pay extra for this in a 5 star hotel? I don't mind paying for treatments and massages, but surely the basics should be included? They were free at the hotel we stayed at last year, which was not an awful lot more expensive!

Swimming Pool - why are we expected to collect and return our own towels? This seemed very 4 star!
Temperature was great - a nice pool area with great bar service.
Described as an 'adults pool'; however, there was no children's alternative, so it was full of kids much of the time. OK in December, but could be a bit miserable in the summer!

All in all, I fear I cannot recommend this hotel on the result of our experiences.

Room Tip: Don't ask for a disabled-friendly room!!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Mencey, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Elaine,

First and foremost we would like to thank you for choosing our IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel Mencey for the celebration of Christmas and New Year with your mother in Santa Cruz de Tenerife; Our mission is to make every stay as close to perfection as possible and it is with great concern we have read we were not able to meet your expectations on this occasion; at IBEROSTAR we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you for your review.

We first would like to apologize for our mistake at the time of allocating your room; we passed on your comments to our head of department for information and to prevent these unfortunate situations to happen in the future.

Moreover we would like to take the opportunity to clarify that you did have your special Christmas and New Year dinner reserved at our Los Menceyes Restaurant as part of your half board basis booked through your tour operator, however as we had a Special Gala dinner organized in our Salon Plataneras , we offered you the possibility to upgrade for you and your mother to have an even better dining experience; in order to repair for our mistake related to your room allocation, we reserved you the Gala Dinners for both Christmas and New Year’s Eve in the Salon Plataneras as a special gesture from our side, these in fact were not included with your Tour Operator’s deal.

Our hotel being a gastronomic reference in Santa Cruz, our highly qualified Chefs set original gastronomic menus aimed to offer enriching dining experiences to our guests, for example Langoustine wrapped in vegetable confetti with Mango toffee; Risotto with Barbary duck, wild mushrooms and truffle, lobster Thermidor on creamy saffron rice and aromatic oil or Veal sirloin with béarnaise sauce and potato bake with truffle and sautéed mushroom, etc., we sincerely regret reading that our dishes were not to your liking.

Finally, we lament not being informed about your discontent onsite as we would have done our utmost to make sure that you fully enjoyed your stay at our hotel; for future occasions we strongly encourage you to contact our management present every day at the hotel, they will be enchanted to assist you.

Thank you again for your visit and the time you took out of your day to share your feelings on your holiday experience among us; our goal is to assure our guests feel comfortable and fully enjoy their visits. We are eager to regain your confidence during another occasion if you gave us that chance.

Kindest Regards,
Tehran, Iran
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Very high class and luxury hotel with very helpful and kind reception. Room service was perfect. Internet connection stops frequently. But download speed was not bad. At terrace u will loose internet completely.

Room Tip: Better to take Garden View higher floors
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

A two night stay at the hotel did not disappoint. Beautiful gardens, pool area, lobby and rooms. Daniel at reception was particularly helpful. Would recommend this oasis to anyone looking for a stress free break.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Mencey, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear Patricia,

We are thrilled you enjoyed staying with us at the IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel Mencey and are sincerely grateful for the time you spent to share your satisfaction here on Tripadvisor; it is wonderful to hear we were able to meet your expectations of an relaxing stay in Santa Cruz de Tenerife.

Moreover we thank you for your lovely description of our hotel and installations as well as for your highlight on the professionalism and genuine kindness of our reception staff.

Thank you again for making us your choice hotel when visiting Santa Cruz and for your very nice recommendation to Tripadvisor’s readers.

Sincere Regards,
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Recently spent 5 nights here and couldn't fault it. Having heard many opinions on tenerife I was cautious on what to expect from the well know British favourite but the iberostar changed my view completely. The recent refurbishment does not go unnoticed with the grand chandeliers and marble floor inviting you in to the lobby. The hotel was quiet with never more than 10 people around the pool at a time and the grounds were spotless. I would recommend this hotel to couples and adults. Although the hotel is located in Santa Cruz north of the island it is easily accessible by the bus which runs from south tenerife airport which takes around an hour at 9 euros per person. The only downfall was the lack of English spoken by the hotel staff.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Mencey, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the time you took out of your day to share your satisfaction on your holiday experience at our IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel Mencey; it is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed staying with us and appreciated the beauty and luxury of our recently refurbished hotel.

IBEROSTAR provides English classes to our staff from all areas, understanding the importance of communication in order to provide a great service and believing that we can help our personnel’s growth and development. Of course learning a new language takes time, but we do believe we are on the right path and expect to have you back in the near future certain that you will notice our progress; however we would like to point out that our reception staff has a good level of English so as to ensure a smooth communication with our many British guests.

Thank you once again for your visit and very kind review; we would be enchanted to accommodate you again on your next visit to Santa Cruz.

Kindest Regards,
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I am writing this from the hotel lobby bar after 4 days of a 5 day holiday. The lobby bar doesn't sound that great but it is actually outdoors in a quiet secluded patio area surrounded by a lovely grass lawn. The fact I am doing this on my laptop using wifi tells you there isn't a problem with that particular service in the main parts of the hotel. Our room on the 4th floor only just gets wifi but that is the tiniest issue of what otherwise is a brilliant place. We were told at the airport that hotel had been renovated last year and it shows. Everything is pristine.
I read many reviews before choosing this hotel and agree with most but there are two area which could do with additional mentions.
the pool - it is fabulous. The perfect temperature, salt water so no nasty chlorine and huge enough to enable laps to be swam even if others are using it for more fun purposes. The pool attendants are extremely helpful with towels, parasols etc.
The spa - now I am not a massive spender of money in spas and I had read that it was extra on top of the hotel rate. We had an overcast day so decided to give it a whirl. It is well worth the 15 Euros day rate. there are several 'pools' each with different buttons to press for bubbles and hoses etc. I have never seen so many different types of showers! The huge benefit of the additional cost is that it is not too busy. It really does feel like a fabulous indulgence and is well worth a visit. I also had a facial which was fabulous. My husband had a massage too and we both agreed the service was second to none.
The hotel is beautiful, it is in a great location and the walk through the park into town is safe and nice during the day and after dark. The staff cannot do enough for you and they even gave my husband a birthday cake even though I never mentioned it. I have no idea how they knew who he was but he was heralded with Happy Birthday the whole day which he surprisingly enjoyed (he is a bit shy).
The room itself was a little small but there are larger ones available, I just chose to save my pennies for other things. The bed is incredibly comfortable. we chose a street view to save money but it actually means a sea view which was a nice bonus.
All in all I would highly recommend it and will definitely be coming back. This is a good time of year to come as it isn't busy and no need to panic about getting a lounger by the pool!

Room Tip: top floor have very limited wifi
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Recenty returned from vacation in Tenerife and I had a chance to visit this amazing hotel in the capital which was recently renovated and upgraded. The location is perfect with the main Park just across the road and within walking distance to the main shopping area. Highly recomend if you get a chance to visit, too expensive to stay for normal very day. I was invited by a good friend.

Room Tip: If you want a good view ask facing the mountain if not you only get the avenida view
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Mencey? Share your experiences!