“nowhere near a 3 star hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Marquesa Hotel

You added Marquesa Hotel to your Saves list
Marquesa Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Quintana 11-13, 38400 Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, Spain   |
Ranked #39 of 80 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
“nowhere near a 3 star hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

On arrival it seemed a nice hotel then I noticed no air conditioning I was glad we hadn't come in the summertime. We had 1 yes only 1 socket in the room so we had to unplug the tv to charge our phones and cameras. The meal at night very disappointed to say the least we dined out 3 of the 7 nights we were there. The choice of menu was extremely limited, 1 soup take it or leave it, main course again limited but only 1 type of potatoes per evening. Breakfast wasn't much better but as I only had toast and honey I will say no more about it. Except there were very limited amount of drinking glasses and cups and saucers, then one had to wait until someone replaced them this took up to 15 minutes. One of the lights was out I reported it on Sunday, Wednesday and Thursday before it was repaired. I wouldn't stay there again. You were also expected to clear your table after meals MMMMMMMMMMMM

Room Tip: avoid this hotel and if you go during the hot season insure the hotel you are gong too has air con
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
MarquesaPlazaHotels, Gerente at Marquesa Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking your time to write your reviews in Tripadvisor. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations for a 3 star and all the inconveniences caused. The hotel was buildt in 1712 and there are different types of rooms and facilities. Unfortunatly we did not have a direct complaint or report from your side that would allowed us to implement some corrective meassures, surely we would have worked out some sort of compensation. Nevertheless we take your comments very serious as they help us to improve and keep working out the best value for money. Indeed, some customers are concious of what they pay for the half board and are happy to help clear tables. Any price reduction is passed on to the hotel chain of value allowing customers with limited budget to enjoy their holidays too.

We are about to renovate the whole hotel in a Project that will bring it up to 4 star "heritage Hotel" (air conditioned) in the near future and we hope we would meet your expectations, then.

Yours sincerely,

The management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Czech first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I stayed at the Marquesa in October, which meant the weather was a very lovely average of around 27c. The hotel on entering is spacious and has a lovely rustic feel and features. The room I was given had no balcony so I asked reception if one was available and was given option of one next day which I accepted. The room was basic but comfortable and clean. The reason I chose this hotel was the location as it is in the centre of the pedestrianised area and perfect for walking to all locations, restaurants and bars. This is part of Tenerife is a lot quieter than the south side of the island and more for a relaxing holiday, although there are a couple of lively places to go if needed. The hotel has a lovely terrace which is perfect to sit and watch the world go by and if people watching is your thing then this is the place for you. The hotel food is like any other hotel food on holiday, I had breakfast everyday and had dinner on a couple of occasions but I prefer to go out and experience different restaurants on holiday so combined both. The staff were excellent and very friendly and this to me is very important in making your stay enjoyable. No complaints. Will possibly return in the future and if so, will happily stay at the Marquesa again.

• Stayed October 2013
MarquesaPlazaHotels, Gerente at Marquesa Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinions in the Tripadvisor. Indeed our hotel is well located in the heart of Puerto de la Cruz, which is a resort much more quiter than the south and the weather is not as hot.

Our hotel has lively music everyday and there are some "late night" places if that is what is needed, but this is the place to chill out and don´t even think if your football team did good or not this weekend.

Please check our website regularly because as repeting customer we are planning to advertise promotions and special offers that you can benefit from.

Thank once again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Yours sincerely,

The Management
Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This is a very nice historical hotel very good located in Puerto de la Cruz (north part of Tenerife) on Plaza de la Iglesia. All you need is very good reachable. We had room with balcony to the Plaza de la Iglesia, so we saw nice church and Pico de Teide. Room was every day cleaned with friendly staff. Breakfasts and suppers were good, you can choose what you like. Especially for supper were very good spanish foods. During supper you can listen local live music. In case of big waves on the beach, you can use one of two swimming pools located on the roof and in second floor. Puerto has good bus connections, thus you can go to the Teide with bus (1,5 hour trip with bus). For trip to the Loropark you can use local train free of charge. Our stay was very nice, so maybe we go there again in the future. :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is a great hotel in a perfect position right in the heart of the old town. It is literally 2 mins from everything you need i.e. restaurants, bars, beach, shops, nightlife etc. This is the second time this year I have stayed at the Marquesa and I intend returning for a 4 week stay in November 2013. The staff are extremely helpful and most of them speak English. Meals can be taken either indoors or on the balcony where a live band plays typical canerian music every evening from 7 pm until 11 pm, I am a single traveller and the hotel meets for all my needs perfectly.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony and sea view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Stockport, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Well were do you start? I suppose at the beginning, when we arrived mid afternoon, given the key and finding the room not made up or cleaned ie sheets on the floor, food and other articles from the previous guests lying all roun the room did not help. Too be fair when I told them about it they offered another room.
The previous comments regarding food are quite correct, you can`t say it is in-edible but no one in there right minds would pay for it in a retaurant it would go straight back, cold, warm at best poor choice, school diners much better.
Location is very good, near to everything, best thing about the place is the coffee machine for breakfast, which says it all, that and some toast was all I could eat and I am far from being a fussy eater. cold pieces of fat for bacon, cold beans, cold chipolatas, cold eggs, get the idea?
Staff not rude but certanly not even remotely friendly. No english guests just spanish or germans
not a problem for me as I speak spanish (went to school there) but non spanish speakers would find it hard.
Overall it`s the usual story you get what you paid for, but it is a ball ache when you have paid for half board and have to walk past the buffet take a look then decide to eat at a restaurant.
My reccomendation is if you want that level of service and food then be my guest and stay there.
But why not pay a bit more and stay somewhere/anywhere that is more acceptable. The hotel next door the Monople is a million times better. Try to avoid if you can!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I read the reviews for this hotel before we left and I was really concerned that we would be staying in some sort of dungeon! After staying in this hotel I feel I really must defend it. The location is fantastic: You're 2 minutes from really good restaurants, 10 minutes from the beach and 30 minute walk from Loro Parque if you choose to walk. We didn't have much interaction with the staff because we had everything we needed at hand but when we did speak to them, they were very friendly and helpful. Our room was pretty big with a balcony over looking the sea which was lovely. The decor IS dated but that just added to the charm. We are lovers of all things retro so it went down well with us. Everywhere was very clean and tidy. The breakfast was fine! As a vegetarian I had plenty to choose from, as did my meat-eating partner, and it was very tasty and filling. The room cost us 35 Euro a night so we feel we got a bargain. If you want the Ritz, you'll have to pay for it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bucharest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Those who are looking for history, tradition, retro stile, quality Spanish guitar music, and the best position in the city, will be fully satisfied of staying here. The pyramidal and multicolored roof patio surrounded by balconies, hosts hotel reception and the lobby, as well. The reconstructed doors, windows, and furniture, the old thematic photos and painting on the walls, the ceramic, pots, and small statues in the neighboring halls of the patio, it have seemed to me the best original solution of the owners.of a hotel of over 100 years old, located on the original place of a 18th century historical house. I had stayed for 7 days in a third floor clean room with old furniture but in good condition. I am sure they have better rooms I had. Obviously if you stay longer the food will be repetitive, but for me it was OK. The pool on the roof, and deck chairs, and free WiFi in the lobby, are te be appreciated, too. Though I had no a great comfort, the atmosphere of the hotel and its position offset any small flaw. I personally I would gladly return to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Marquesa Hotel? Share your experiences!