“Buyer Beware” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Marquesa Hotel

Save Saved
You added Marquesa Hotel to your Saves list
Marquesa Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Quintana 11-13, 38400 Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, Spain   |
Ranked #37 of 81 hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Buyer Beware”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is our 8th visit to Puerto de la Cruz and first time I have felt compelled to write a review to warn people about this hotel.

We had stayed here once before and managed to change rooms afer a first dismal room and got a lovely roof terrace room. The hotel has a mixture of rooms with or without terrace.

The second time we book we specified a terrace as we thought we knew what we would be getting. How wrong I was. The room was booked via Easyjet, and our booking specified a terrace. However we must have had the hotel's "joke" room as the terrace was actually indoor s and part of the hallway, I kid you not!!! So if I opened my french doors and strolled onto me terrace, looking up I would see the ceiling and be able to have a chat with all the guests and cleaners milling around the corridor who could also see into our room. The room had no outside walls atall. Oh and the fire alarm was disconnected.

I went to reception to try to change rooms and was told none were available. Returned to room and rang Easyjet to see what my options were. Whilst on hold my wife went to reception to ask what refund we would be entitled to, and suprise suprise they found another room but warned us it would be noisy!! We are mid forties and go out every night so noise is not a problem so we changed rooms. This room was at the front of the hotel and had an enclose wooden balcony.

Sounds great on paper but in reality no. The balcony has two dead wasps nests on the ceiling and the bathroom was the size of a small caravans. Also as we were just above the canopy we were forced to buy bug spray and spray the room eveytime we left!!!, whilst all the time chasing Easyjet to get some help. Eventually after 3 nights we had enough, found another hotel and checked out as we wanted to salvage some enjoyment from the holiday.

On speaking to the Lady on reception it seems the hotel's best rooms are allocated to the guests who book for long stays (eg 3+weeks) and that means Brits who book for just a week get the worst rooms

Quick note re the buffet/food - in a word dont, it is plentiful but very poor quality and often cold. We do not come on holiday to eat at a standard far below what we would eat at home.

Room Tip: Specify an outdoor terrace at the front (specify "not 425") and cross your fingers
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Leeds, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Location wise you're in the old town which is great and I expected a bit of noise so took some proper earplugs. Unfortunately the housemaids are incapable of picking up furniture and insist on dragging everything around so it makes a right racket, so much so with my earplugs in. This starts every morning around 9 and goes on for the next 5 hours. If you'd like to have a lie-in forget it. They also shout down the corridors at each other, possibly the most inconsiderate housemaids ever witnessed.

The original part of the hotel is a lovely old canarian building, the rest of the hotel is a more modern extension which has seen better days. The room was average, the bathroom small, there was no balcony and was overlooked by other rooms so had the curtain closed.

I was only B&B so had breakfast once, the croissant was of the cheap catering pack quality and orange juice likewise, the rest didn't look too appetising so avoided it for the rest of the holiday. One day I ordered some chips while I was sat on the terrace which I expected to be good for €3, what arrived was overcooked and limp due to being cooked in old oil. Then the waitress got the bill wrong.

The staff are possibly the most miserable I have ever encountered in a hotel and are incapable of smiling. Prior to arriving I contacted them to check something, once by the contact form on their website and by their email address and neither time did they respond.

Puerto de la Cruz itself is a lovely town and caters mainly for the older crowd. I found the Bee Hive pub nearby (Calle la Hoya) which was a good place to watch football and rugby with great staff. You'll struggle to find anywhere which has Sky though due to some numpty changing the main Sky antenna, but Cafe O'Neill (Avenida Aguilar y Quesada) off Calle la Hoya has football channels on Sky HD. On the main square Color Cafe is worth a visit on a night, also in a 300 year old canarian house.

I'd definitely go back to Puerto de la Cruz when I'm older but wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We wanted to try something different this trip to Tenerife, and because it was Carnival Time, we thought it would be nice to be in the heart of everything. How wrong we were. The room they gave us ( even after asking ahead for a room with a balcony ), was a small dull room with a postage stamp window facing the back street. Not enough pillows, a shower that when you had a shower the water soaked the whole room, and a leaky bath! We did go to reception and after 2 days were moved to a room on the 5th floor with a balcony and a view which was lovely. I was concerned as I work in travel and wondered if this is how they treast Travel Agents, what chance has customers? We did not recieve a discount and paid the same as everyone else, so only expected to be treated the same as everyone else. I agree that the hotel is geared to the German Market, not friendly towards the brits, and the food is awful, it may be a (poor) 3 star hotel but the food is 1 star costa brava food. This was like the food I remember when i was in Lloret de Mar in the 70's/80's when repping in 1 star hotels. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone in the British market at all.

Room Tip: Is there any really good rooms?
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Exmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Just returned from the Marquesa. The review below just about says it all. Very geared up to all nationalities other than British, the information at the hotel is non-existent in English. The rooms we were given initially were very poor - room very dark and tired, like a dungeon as we had to keep the curtains pulled as we were overlooked by the neighbouring hotel. After complaining we were given a lovely room with a seaview half way into our holiday. Pity, if they got their diningroom and food together it could be rated higher than 3 stars because of its lovely position and ambience.

Room Tip: Always insist on a balcony in the newest part of the hotel. The hotel has been joined to the Contess...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
ufford, suffolk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

For the second time we visited the Marquesa. A stunning looking hotel in the centre of Puerto de la Cruz. This is an old traditional Canarian building, original in many ways, truly stunning looking. Since our last visit when the food and dining room was shocking, unfortunately nothing has improved. The buffet style meal times are nothing short of a rugby scrum with some greedy diners grabbing platefuls of food which they then save in their napkins. WHY is the question as the food is simply awful, the dining room horrible, shortage of cutlery, plates, 'food' containers not topped up, surly staff. Such a shame as the hotel is great, the entertainment with guitars and singing first class, truly professional. If only they could sort out the food issue this would be a great little hotel. NEVER book half or full board....big mistake.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

All in all the Marquesa is a good three star hotel, the sheets and towels are changed regularly the rooms are clean, the food is edible and for the price they charge you cannot ask for more, there are some bad points, like the rooms are not very sound proof and you can hear your next door neighbour chatting away which is a bit off putting. The pool could do with more beds and mattresses etc but overall it's ok.

Room Tip: Mountain views get sun, sea views don't.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Worksop, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I had to write something after reading the reviews, We are planning our 3rd visit to the hotel, the location is perfect no road noise and central to all bars with level walks, yes you can hear the churches lol but as my partner has just said it adds to the charm and yes the one opposite is lit up at night. for my night cap.

The hotel is old Spanish, clean and smells of polish, staff very friendly and helpful right down to cleaners who always had a smile, a good selection for breakfast and dinner, we never starved.

The outside terrace - bar is one of the most popular in Puerto, yes its open to the public which is how I first found the hotel.

The hotel caters for a simple type of holiday, with a Spanish friendly atmosphere, oh and the lift, when your on and the doors open you cant beat the view try it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Marquesa Hotel? Share your experiences!