Wanting a week in the sun not too far away and having a large number of Avios (formerly Airmiles) in hand, we booked the Maritim purely because it was on the Avios list, was out of the town and we had stayed in a Maritim Hotel in Mauritius. We knew it was a German chain, largely patronised by Germans and was rather old, so our expectations were attuned accordingly. I did begin to panic at the less than complimentary reviews, but arriving late in the evening owing to a delayed flight, our 10th floor sea view room was absolutely fine. Very clean, functional, (nearly) everything worked fine, the room & balcony had been repainted & the bathroom, which was clean & bright, had been partly refurbished.
The good points:
* Its fantastic location - overlooking the sea all around and mountains behind, away from the high rise horror of Puerto de la Cruz (OK, it's a high rise building, but doesn't stare out at other ones!)It's an easy walk to Punta Brava, which we enjoyed a lot, with its beach, fish restaurants, local bars & beach cafes. A good bus shuttle into the town worked well.
* The extensive and beautiful gardens and the two large, well maintained pools and surroundings. There were always plenty of loungers, umbrellas etc; although for the first few days we were almost the only people round the pool, it did get busier as the week went on.
* The (mainly) friendly, helpful & cheerful staff. As noted, many only spoke Spanish (of course) & German. School level Spanish went a fair way, but we should have swotted up a bit more before coming. Reception staff, who were rather less cheerful, had working level English, & the delightful manageress was entirely fluent. But hey, this was a hotel aimed at Germans and Spaniards - I think we were the only British people there the entire week, so no complaint.
The less good points:
* Aircon in the room, although working and set to its lowest setting barely kept the room at an acceptable temperature, and we often woke up too hot at night. The balcony and outdoor areas were generally cooler than indoors, including in the dining room & reception. Likewise the frig only cooled rather than chilled.
* You have to pay to rent the safe, which I haven't experienced anywhere for years. On the other hand, the wifi was free and the signal strength in the reception and outside pool area was excellent.
* The food. I doubt if anyone comes to the Maritim for a gourmet experience, but again, it was aimed at its core customers, who seemed happy enough. We deliberately did not choose half board, and ate a la carte or out - the buffet certainly did not set our pulses racing. The menu did not change and the choice was very limited, but everything we had was freshly cooked, hot and came in vast quantities. We had some excellent steak, but there was very little fish, and considering this was an island which grows a wide variety of tropical fruit, the chemical fruit juice and tinned peaches at breakfast were inexplicable.
* The TV in the room was a vast old thing which showed Spanish & German channels only, with the exception of Sky News. OK by us, but probably why no British or other tour parties were observed.
* Towels were small, grey and thin rather than large, white & fluffy, and toiletries were limited. Observation rather than complaint! However, as a fellow (German) guest explained, it was jolly cheap!
While this is undeniably a hotel that has seen better days, and the echoing emptiness of the vast public spaces was a bit depressing, we enjoyed our stay. If you went expecting 4 star fripperies, you probably would be disappointed. It's a shame, as the hotel deserves better and with a bit of investment in the remaining rooms (not let as apartments) could be truly lovely again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on an extraordinary spot on the impressionable cliff line and view to the peak of mount Teide with its 3700m.40.000sqm tropically planted garden, 3 pools, fitness centre and more sport facilities.Free internet hot spot.Just a few hundred mtr away the famous animal zoo "Loro Parque" and the beach "Playa Jardin" ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Despegar.com and Agoda so you can book your Maritim Hotel Tenerife reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Hotel Tenerife Puerto De La Cruz