“massively disappointing” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sol Parque San Antonio

You added Sol Parque San Antonio to your Saves list
Sol Parque San Antonio
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ctra de Las Arenas, 38400 Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #48 of 82 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
“massively disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Me and my wife came here for our honeymoon last week(August 14) and were very let down by the hotel and its staff. By no means is it a horrible place to be, but considering the money we paid for our holiday £1000+, we expected better than this! The hotel staff are rude, unhelpful and barely speak a word of English. They act as if you are an inconvenience to their day and at no point from arriving to leaving over the course of our five day all inclusive holiday, did we feel welcome AT ALL. We had the misfortune of having no Sun for the majority of our trip but that would not have mattered to us at all if th e people at the hotel would even crack a smile once in the day. We got the distinct impression that the staff do NOT like English and got the cold shoulder for most of our 'honeymoon'. The hotel evening entertainment is terrible, it's just a old Spanish guy singing what sounds like traditional Spanish songs and there is rarely an audience he mostly sings to himself. The pool was freezing and dirty mainly because of no segregated children's pool. Food was the only good point in our opinion. Excellent selection for lunch.and dinner and very good tasting food, although I have to say if you like fresh eggs and bacon for breakfast you will be disappointed because their breakfast is downright terrible. I don't eat string beans, boiled potatoes, and cheap hotdogs called 'sausages' for breakfast and as traditional Spanish cuisine goes, I think the hotel just cracks its own routine with that one because we ate breakfast in town a few times just to avoid the hotel breakfast. The hotel in general looks pleasant and th grounds are well kept an very pretty however the staffs attitude ruins the place and both me and my wife got extremely fed up with their rudeness and preferential treatment to Spanish guests. Save your money an go somewhere decent. Trust me, tho hotel DOES NOT DESERVE FIVE STARS. I never review hotels and can never be bothered but I felt compelled to write something about this one, hope fully to warn off another potential guest at the place.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from road
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Very nice friendly hotel. Suitable for for families with small children but not with older 15-16yrs old. Accomadation is very roomy and comfortable. Also all the ameneties in the hotel are close at hand. The staff cannot be faulted for the way they look after you. First time here was 1981. but you can never get fed up with this hotel. It beats any multi storey hotel.

Room Tip: Phone well before hand and try to get a poolside room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Leicestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I knew this hotel was quite old and expected it to be quite dated ( which it is) but what a pleasant surprise it was! The rooms were very large and spacious as were the en-suite bathrooms plus a very useful entrance hallway where luggage and shoes etc could be left out of the way. The beds were quite comfortable and the rooms were spotlessly clean and kept that way for the 3 nights we were there.
Lovely views of the beautiful tropical gardens from the generous balcony and from the front door ( open terrace) a fantastic sea view.
Very quiet rooms and our teenage children were allocated rooms next door which was convenient.
The buffet breakfast was very good with wide choice of food. Freshly prepared omelettes and pancakes cooked in front of you by the chefs.
Dinner buffet equally good with good choice and could always find something enjoyable.
Bar prices were very reasonable and the pool bar during the day was lovely. The gardens were a great place to relax by the beautiful swimming pool.
We booked via Melia Hotels reservation centre and got a very good deal on Half-board as we joined the Melia rewards club which gave us an additional discount on what was already a good offer.
I would definitely return to this hotel as although dated ( not a problem for us) it offers exceptional value for money in a beautiful location.
An easy enough walk down to Puerto de la Cruz and a taxi ride back ( up hill) . Although the hotel does not have a car park ( we had a hire-car) it wasn't too bad finding a parking space on the street at the side of the hotel.
I had visited Puerto 38 years before and was interested to see if it had changed.
I recognised quite a bit and it has not been at all spoilt. The sea- front promenade seems to be getting a face-lift and should be much improved when complete as the diggers etc. did spoil the pleasure of the evening walk but hopefully that should be finished soon.
We then moved on to the South-West coast for 6 nights but wished we had stayed for longer here!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms ( perhaps mostly ground floor) looked like they may be a bit dark. We were on the...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I stayed in this hotel from the 11th until the 18th, I stayed with my boyfriend and another couple and we found the hotel beautiful, the staff at the front desk were very pleased to talk and could speak a little english but they were very friendly.

The room was cleaned each day but a sign could be put on the door if you wanted it to be left. The pool was cold but when it was warm it was lovely to get in.

The town is lovely to go and visit, we went to a bar called black jacks and it was lovely the staff were extremely friendly and we went there basically every night.

The food was nice but obviously not what you expect to get as nothing was proper English food but it was nice to try different foods.

I would definitely recommend staying in this hotel as it is lovely x

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Bingley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Stayed earlyl July booked at short notice. Had previously stayed at Sol Parque and came back as the area is ideal and the hotel relaxed, friendly and surrounded by a beautiful garden. This is not a sparkling new glass plated hotel but has the charm and character that suits this northern area of Tenerife. We stayed in a junior suite, for not much extra, with a separate lounge and large bathroom, room 1, on ground floor. This was fronted by a small garden leading to the grassed area around the pool. Wonderful. The room was serviced every day with fresh towels most days.

We arrived after 10.30pm but a meal of fresh salad and fruit was waiting for us. Generally the food is good. Not what we Brits may expect but plenty of choice, freshly made and helpful service.
There are not many British in this hotel but a mixture of nationalities but you are not in the south where most of the Brits holiday. The hotel is situated up a steep hill in a beautiful area behind Taoro Park.

The easiest way to get to town is to use your room card key to exit through the gate by the dining room. Just make your way through Taoro Park, a haven for joggers and yoga followers, down quite a few steps and you will emerge fairly centrally in the town. Hint, before you follow the steps down, pop into the gardens of Risco Bello. Beautiful garden and tea room, an absolute haven. You won't get anything like this in the south of Tenerife.
From our room we could see the top of Mount Teide and the whole area is in the midst of private villas and leafy roads. If you stay up here in the north of the island you will not want to return to the busy commercialised area of the south. Sol Parque is typical Canarian and well worth spending time there.
Barbara and Malcolm.

Room Tip: Ask for a junior suite, ground floor. Quiet rooms are facing pool away from road behind the receptio...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Portland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Could not fault the hotel, clean, nice rooms, lovely setting, and very hard working lovely staff, from the reception, to the gardeners everyone had a smile and a hello and nothing was too much trouble.
A special thank you to Marcos in entertainment, who gave us Spanish lessons, to the lovely bar staff, Alfredo, Miguel, and Carlos. I would also like to say that the restaurant waiters and chefs looked after us very well and the food was great.
I cannot understand all the negative reviews, and people are missing a treat.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Peterle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Hi, We stayed at the hotel August last year 2013 and will be returning August 2014 already booked and looking forward to it. Having read the previous reviews I thought some rather unfair and decided to offer what I hope is an objective view. If like us your looking for somewhere clean and fairly well looked after away from the main hustle and bustle of the town, somewhere to relax in beautiful gardens (This has to be the main plus point of the hotel) with a place to lay by the pool read, listen to music and recharge from a hard year working to pay for it then this is a good place to be. If you want to be in the centre then, no, its a fair old hike and a steep bank, however taxis are cheap and the hotel offers a complimentary bus, seems fair to me!!, The hotel had a mix of residents and yes you are in Tenerife so expect to have a share of none british residents, if you want an all british guest list then look somewhere else. I enjoyed the food I had, may not be to everyones taste but hay thats life, I booked half board and found it filling good breakfast and a choice at dinner if you want Michelin Stars go elsewhere and pay for it, I got what I expected. I do feel that a lot of people see 4 Star and think their getting the Ritz, sorry fellow holiday makers but you get what you pay for, you want more, you pay more go take a look at the Botanico and see the prices there, its time to get real and realise 4 star holiday accommodation in Tenerife is no 4 star in London or Paris. Some negatives I agree with, the reception is not always as good as I would hope and one or two can be quite surly as i found out on arrival and some of the rooms may not be brilliant, again as I know but when I asked to be changed it was done and my second room 1307 Block B was ideal for me and this time thats what I expect however we will find out when I get there. I sent a e-mail to the hotel and have asked for the room, they did reply and have said I will get that room or an equivalent, we will have to wait and see at least they did respond and I appreciate that. One thing I do enjoy is at the end of the day sitting on the balcony having a quiet drink and looking at the view and you won't get that at sea level so being up a hill and out of town is ideal for me. I hope that this helps you make an informed choice but please be real, think about what it is your looking for and if this is not the hotel for you book another hotel, don't leave bad feedback because you made a bad choice. I hope to have another good holiday in August.

Room Tip: Think before you book, find out about the hotel and its location, your poor choice should not mean t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sol Parque San Antonio? Share your experiences!