“4 star all inclusive? Capacity an issue!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Puerto de la Cruz

Save Saved
You added Hotel Puerto de la Cruz to your Saves list
Hotel Puerto de la Cruz
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Marques de Villanueva del Prado, 38400 Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, Spain   |
Ranked #35 of 81 hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Hull-Uk
“4 star all inclusive? Capacity an issue!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We were taken here by my wife's mother and father as a treat, so far be it for me to criticise their generosity, or choice of hotel. But my opinion of the hotel is based on the facilities and service received during our 2 week stay, and my perception of value provided.

The hotel seems to cater mainly for spanish and German guests, which was a plus point in some ways, as we wanted to feel like we'd got away from the UK, but this sometimes meant the guests dominated the staffs attention - or got priority.

The hotel seemed understaffed in the service areas other than at meal times, which meant only one bar area was open at any one time, and usually only one member of staff serving (most of whom seemed unhappy in their jobs and only had one speed setting - slow!), this meant a que for drinks every time.
We tried to make it our mission to make the barman, who mostly works the pool bar, smile. Only once did we achieve this, by tipping him!
Since when does service with a smile cost extra?
Then there was the issue of trying to make sure your drinks were actually on the all inclusive plan to avoid further charges on checkout.
Tip - want a mojito without paying 4e? Ask for a rum and 7up with a slice of lemon, oh and have you got a sprig of mint por favor? One of the barmen laughed and high fived my wife when he clocked on to my wife doing this.

The Wi-Fi like the rest of the services were stretched to capacity. If you manage to get your device connected, leave it switched on so that it keeps the ip address, as the availability is limited to 254 slots, and people dont tend to get booted off often enough, so those that stay connected have internet, those that switch off their devices face a struggle to get back on - I needed to access an important email and it took my phone 3 days to get back on the network!

When we arrived the evening entertainment was a bit poor, and seemed to cater for the aging Spanish guests - Peter the dj was quickly educated as to what sort of music was needed to fill a dance floor, and credit to him, he was willing to take requests and between him and the few English guests, we had the dance floor packed for the rest of the stay!
He actually thanked us for our efforts, and is now looking into ways of taking requests via txt messages etc.

The magic show was awesome! As were the group of girls that danced one night. The snake show wasnt much of a show, more like get your photo took with a snake!

The poolside activities were all but non existent initially, and we had to seek out Stephanie who was supposed to organise such things - we too had her getting stuck in and enjoying her job. To the extent that not only was she diving in the pool when we needed an extra player for water polo, but she even came in on her day off to organise a game!

The food served offered very little choice for vegetarians on most days, then one day about 5 different dishes that were suitable! To be fair there was always something available, but as I dont eat fish either, my choice was often salad, bread, chips and ice cream. Everyone else enjoyed the food and choice, but commented that it was a struggle getting served sometimes or getting buffet trays replenished.

All in I enjoyed our stay at the hotel, but knowing how much my in-laws would have paid for this holiday, I felt that the hotel was struggling to provide the level of service and facilities guests have paid for. I would retuen to this hotel, but would suggest a half board stay might be better overall value.

• Stayed July 2013
Dirección H, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
RESPUESTA
Dear Nibbles_Hull_UK

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to inform other Tripadvisor travellers of your experience in our Hotel.

Thank you for your feedback on our services and I would like to take this opportunity to comment on several points you raise.

Our Pool bar and Salón Falúa bar are never open at the same time, the pool bar is open until 17,00 hours which is the time our Salón Bar Falúa opens. Both bars have drink cards which specify which drinks are included in our AI service.

I´m sorry our Wi-Fi service was not up to standard, we are presently looking into new offers which should improve the capacity. Please excuse the inconveniences caused.

I´m also sorry you found little joice for vegetarians, I´m sure you must have been aware that our buffet also offers soups, pasta, cooked vegetables, eggs, cheese, fruits, desserts…. And our Chef would have been very pleased to provide you with omelette, plain rice....

Thank you for your kind remarks on our DJ Peter, he is always open to suggestions from our clients. And I´m pleased that in general our shows were to your liking.

It´s a pleasure to know that you and your party enjoyed your stay and that you would return, if this should be the case, I hope to have the pleasure of greeting you personally

Yours sincerely, Domingo Castro, Manager.

405 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Greek first
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Ok so just came back off holiday today after staying in the hotel for 1 week .

Firstly the good points :
The hotel is remarkably clean , has a very lovely pool area with modern furnishings , there were enough sunbeds for everyone , if the hotel got busy there were spares on the top deck pool area which was good . The modern seating area had shelter so if u wanted to stay out of the sun and relax you could , there was also a wide screen tv . I found my room to be very clean and my bed was very soft , with comments being made about hard beds in previous messages i thought that my bed was going to be uncomfortable but quite the opposite . My bed was made everyday by the staff and they always did a good job . The bar staff were lovely especially Feliepe and Dominges such delightful staff and a pleasure to be around . On request i asked for extra pillows and received them straight away which was great . As stated previously the staff at the hotel are really helpful .

Bad points :
The hotel is full of German and Spanish guests me and my partner were the only British and although i did not have a problem with this the food was mainly catered towards their tastes , as this hotel is a 4 star i would expect the food to be better most of the time it was luke warm and breakfast was horrible i had a bacon every single morning as their was nothing that tasted nice the sausage was even German for the whole week it was skinless sausage . I am a picky eater but i just found the food to be lacking as this is a 4 star hotel and it was cold most of the time . Also the entertainment was all in Spanish and German and i found it very boring as i couldn't understand a word .
Overall i did have a lovely time despite the food and entertainment , i would stay again but i personally prefer the south side of Tenerife as their is much more to do .

Room Tip: Excellent view from the 6th and 7th floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dirección H, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Emma B

Thank you very much for taking your time to inform us and other Tripadvisor travellers of your experience in our Hotel and it is a pleasure for me to know that you enjoyed your stay amongst us. I really appreciate your posivite opinion on the cleanliness of our installations, our pool areas and the friendliness of our staff. We try hard every day so that our customers percieve our friendly and personal service.

On the other hand, I regret that our buffet and entertainment services were not as positive as we would have liked and I appreciate that you have let us know in order to improve these aspects to the exent of our possibilities.

I am very pleased to know that you would stay in our hotel again and should this be the case, I hope to have the pleasure of greeting you personally.

Yours sincerely, Domingo Castro, Manager.
Tg-Mures
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Just came back yesterday from the hotel and we are glad we didn't let influenced by negative reviews...travelled with child; the hotel has great facilities and safe environment for children, the meals were delicious and great variety. And regarding the 157 or how many steps to the centre of the station...I don't find how that would concern the hotel at all...there are plenty beach-by-hotels to choose from...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dirección H, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Zborbala, thank you very much for taking your time to post your comments on TripAdvisor and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your holiday in our Hotel.

I appreciate your positive comments on our facilities and buffet, these certainly encourage us to continue offering our guests the best service.

Thank you once again for your positive feedback and I remain to your disposition, yours sincerely,
Domingo Castro Bello, Manager.
Welshpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We totally agree with oldbri10. We stayed at this hotel for 1 week fro the 16th April. Everything he has said about the food is true, cold, uninteresting, totally lacking in imagination.
Our room looked ok but the beds and pillows were rock hard, the fridge and A/C didn't work, despite reporting it to reception. Tea making facilities in the room were non existant despite asking the Thomson rep to arrange it.Surely that was no great task.As far as the management was concerned, the British guests didn't exist, not once were we asked if everything was to our satisfaction. We would never stay at this hotel again and never recomend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dirección H, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear VAL W

Thank you for taking your time to post your opinion of your stay in our Hotel on Tripadvisor. Thank you also for your comments on our buffet, we take into account your observations and no doubt they help us to improve our customer service, I regret our buffet choice was not to your satisfaction.

Concerning your comments that the fridge and A/C did not work, I would like to clarify that the fridge has an extra local charge should you have wished to order drinks from the mini-bar price list and the A/C is only available during the Summer months. Both issues are duly published in the TTOO brochures and also on our web. Concerning the tea making facilities, I´m sorry to inform you that our Hotel does not offer this type of service, the Canarian rules and regulations do not allow it in Hotels.

I hope you understand that guests of all nationalities are welcome in our hotel and that we do not discriminate anyone.

I´m sorry you have taken back with a you a bad impression of our Hotel and also to read that you would not stay here again, however, it would be a pleasure for me to greet you personally should you change your mind.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Having arrived In Tenerife 3 wks ago to be told by the transfer bus driver our hotel had closed down we were redirected to this hotel by the security guard . On arrival at the Puerto de la Cruz hotel the reception staff knew nothing about our arrival. You can imagine how worried we were but were given a room for the night and told to return to reception next day. The staff couldn't do more for us and we were told we were staying although it was uncertain if our tour company had sorted paying for it!
All the staff in the hotel were very friendly especially, Miguel on reception. We had a lovely relaxing holiday but the brits are defineately in the minority(approx. 12 of us)Mainly Germans who seem to go out all day and stay in there rooms in the evenings.The entertainment was mixed but typical . The food we found varied but needed to be warmer, except for the meat/fish which was cooked as you waited.At lunch it was very quiet as few guests were all inclusive.
My only complaint was the guests that smoke around the pool and in the comfy outdoor seating area, I think it should be a designated smoking area. They don't even ask if it's ok before lighting up...very annoying.
What could have been a disaster of a holiday turned out really well thanks to the staff. The manager was always checking the diningroom and was very visable around the hotel

Room Tip: Seaview rooms higher up as low down over a path which seems to get used 24hrs a day by groups
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Carole297

Thank you very much for leaving a positive review of your stay in our Hotel on Tripadvisor, I am very pleased that we were able to solve the lodging problem you found on arrival to Tenerife to your entire satisfaction and that you had an enjoyable holiday amongst.

I also appreciate your kind comments on our staff and concerning your comment on the smoking area I´m afraid your kind suggestion is not possible because by Spanish law this is not allowed.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with other Tripadvisor travellers and I hope to have the pleasure of greeting you personally should you decide to visit us again in the future.

Ferndown, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Booked a late deal from Thomsom to beat the Uk freeze. They rate this hotel as a 4 star but interestingly do not have a rep there nor do they visit it.
LOCATION:
The hotel is located at the top of a steep hill. You can access the front via this steep hill or via 156 steps to the bottom. The hotel offers a minibus daytime during the week to the bottom of the steps or you can pay for a taxi into Puerto. A lot people go to the front for a coffee after dinner but the hotel do not run the bus then.
GUESTS:
Vast majority German. There were a large influx of Spanish familes for a few days over Easter. Not a peaceful or tranquil period.
HOTEL:
Good size footprint. Large open area groundfloor. 2 swimming pools. Lower one very nice and picturesque with bar. Good attendent. Upper (access from 2nd floor) plain rectangular area with less shade. Unhelpful part time attendent. Pools alongside busy road as are poolside rooms. Some will find noisy at night. Poor wi-fi signal on higher floors.
FOOD:
Buffet style. Limited choices/variety during 10 day stay. More suited to German tastes. Anything in a bain-marie went cold very quickly. Questionable hygene routines behind the counter. Not 4 star fayre.
CONCLUSION:
If you are a mature Uk couple wanting a restful break with decent food then maybe not for you. Never mind the daily assault course to get to the town. Some comment on how cheap it is to stay here but is that enough? It could ruin your holiday experience to be a poorly fed minority here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dirección H, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear ccws50

I greatly appreciate the trouble you have taken to share your experience in our hotel with us and other Triadvisor travellers.
I am sorry that you were not happy with our German and Spanish guests that coincided with you during the dates of your holidays, we do our utmost to provide the best service to all our customers.
Concerning our buffet, I would like to inform you that our hotel complies with the Canarian Governments rules and regulations on food and hygene and that we have external monthly audits that confirm this point. I am sorry you have taken back with you a negative impression on this matter.
Thank you for your feedback which helps us to improve our services and I regret that your stay has not been all the positive and pleasant as we would have desired.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I've been travelling for over 40 years in 3 - 5*+ hotels and have never eaten such disinterestingly and unhygenically displayed, cheap, and cold when it should be hot, food. It totally spoilt the hotel and the holiday. I can only imagine the owners of the hotel do not have any iota of an idea about food and have never run a restaurant or hotel before. The food assistant (can't call them Chefs) asked if I wished for my pork chop to be medium or well done. I've never been asked that before about pork. The pork joint was white on the outside and pink on the inside, didn't eat that. The English breakfast was cold and burnt/uncooked bacon all on one slice. The sausage was unspeakable. This is a German welcomed hotel and Brits are 1% if that. Anyone who praises this restaurant in any way must never have been to a half decent hotel or restaurant. Food is 50% of the holiday at least. I lost 5lbs and I will keep my diet going I'm 10st8lbs now. The 156 steps back from the centre probably helped towards my weight loss - or walk up the long and winding road. We never saw or heard from a Thomson rep, you have to go to El Tope to see them. Don't go to the Hotel Puerto they don't like Brits. Oh and Thomson only publish good reviews.

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool is pretty it's like a little oasis but the road runs around it so take earp...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear oldbrit10

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay in our Hotel and I deeply regret that our buffet has caused you such a bad impression, it is a pity that we have not been able to discuss it personally during your stay. However, I appreciate your comments and these should serve us to try harder to improve the items you mention.

May I take this opportunity to say that our hotel welcomes all nationalities and would like to inform you that we have a great number of British regular guests who visit us yearly.

With respects to the 156 steps down to the touristic center, we have a free shuttle bus that covers this distance 8 times in the morning and 7 in the afternoon, there and back, I am sorry you were not aware of this service.

Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences your stay here has caused you, yours sincerely,

Domingo Castro, Manager.

Been to Hotel Puerto de la Cruz? Share your experiences!