“A cheap holiday or an enjoyable one - your choice” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Puerto de la Cruz

Save Saved
You added Hotel Puerto de la Cruz to your Saves list
Hotel Puerto de la Cruz
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Marques de Villanueva del Prado, 38400 Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, Spain   |
Ranked #35 of 81 hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Ferndown, United Kingdom
“A cheap holiday or an enjoyable one - your choice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Booked a late deal from Thomsom to beat the Uk freeze. They rate this hotel as a 4 star but interestingly do not have a rep there nor do they visit it.
LOCATION:
The hotel is located at the top of a steep hill. You can access the front via this steep hill or via 156 steps to the bottom. The hotel offers a minibus daytime during the week to the bottom of the steps or you can pay for a taxi into Puerto. A lot people go to the front for a coffee after dinner but the hotel do not run the bus then.
GUESTS:
Vast majority German. There were a large influx of Spanish familes for a few days over Easter. Not a peaceful or tranquil period.
HOTEL:
Good size footprint. Large open area groundfloor. 2 swimming pools. Lower one very nice and picturesque with bar. Good attendent. Upper (access from 2nd floor) plain rectangular area with less shade. Unhelpful part time attendent. Pools alongside busy road as are poolside rooms. Some will find noisy at night. Poor wi-fi signal on higher floors.
FOOD:
Buffet style. Limited choices/variety during 10 day stay. More suited to German tastes. Anything in a bain-marie went cold very quickly. Questionable hygene routines behind the counter. Not 4 star fayre.
CONCLUSION:
If you are a mature Uk couple wanting a restful break with decent food then maybe not for you. Never mind the daily assault course to get to the town. Some comment on how cheap it is to stay here but is that enough? It could ruin your holiday experience to be a poorly fed minority here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dirección H, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear ccws50

I greatly appreciate the trouble you have taken to share your experience in our hotel with us and other Triadvisor travellers.
I am sorry that you were not happy with our German and Spanish guests that coincided with you during the dates of your holidays, we do our utmost to provide the best service to all our customers.
Concerning our buffet, I would like to inform you that our hotel complies with the Canarian Governments rules and regulations on food and hygene and that we have external monthly audits that confirm this point. I am sorry you have taken back with you a negative impression on this matter.
Thank you for your feedback which helps us to improve our services and I regret that your stay has not been all the positive and pleasant as we would have desired.

389 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Greek first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I've been travelling for over 40 years in 3 - 5*+ hotels and have never eaten such disinterestingly and unhygenically displayed, cheap, and cold when it should be hot, food. It totally spoilt the hotel and the holiday. I can only imagine the owners of the hotel do not have any iota of an idea about food and have never run a restaurant or hotel before. The food assistant (can't call them Chefs) asked if I wished for my pork chop to be medium or well done. I've never been asked that before about pork. The pork joint was white on the outside and pink on the inside, didn't eat that. The English breakfast was cold and burnt/uncooked bacon all on one slice. The sausage was unspeakable. This is a German welcomed hotel and Brits are 1% if that. Anyone who praises this restaurant in any way must never have been to a half decent hotel or restaurant. Food is 50% of the holiday at least. I lost 5lbs and I will keep my diet going I'm 10st8lbs now. The 156 steps back from the centre probably helped towards my weight loss - or walk up the long and winding road. We never saw or heard from a Thomson rep, you have to go to El Tope to see them. Don't go to the Hotel Puerto they don't like Brits. Oh and Thomson only publish good reviews.

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool is pretty it's like a little oasis but the road runs around it so take earp...
Dear oldbrit10

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay in our Hotel and I deeply regret that our buffet has caused you such a bad impression, it is a pity that we have not been able to discuss it personally during your stay. However, I appreciate your comments and these should serve us to try harder to improve the items you mention.

May I take this opportunity to say that our hotel welcomes all nationalities and would like to inform you that we have a great number of British regular guests who visit us yearly.

With respects to the 156 steps down to the touristic center, we have a free shuttle bus that covers this distance 8 times in the morning and 7 in the afternoon, there and back, I am sorry you were not aware of this service.

Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences your stay here has caused you, yours sincerely,

Domingo Castro, Manager.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This was our first visit to Tenerife, so didnt know what to expect in the area or Hotels. We found the Hotel good value for money. The room was agood size a nice balcony overlooking the pool and a good view of mount Teide. The room was cleaned every day, towels changed as often as you wanted and sheets changed often too. The food was quite good when you got used to the layout, you have to walk up and down the buffet a few times, but there was always a good variety to mix and match with.One thing that bugged us was there were lots of Germans in the Hotel who seemed to get priority seating in the dinning room. There is a good time span for meals so you try different times to suit. There is a happy hour in the bar before the resturante opens. There are alot of steps down to front or take the steep sloping road, its not too bad!
It is nice to walk upwards from the Hotel a nice little shoping area and a viewpoint. We did like the rugged coast and the weather was warm for time of year, I don't know if we will visit Tenerife again soon, but if we do we would not hesitate to stay at this Hotel and am glad we ignored some bad reviews of it .

Dear grace w

I am very grateful for the time you have taken to share the experience of your stay in our Hotel with other Tripadvisor travellers and also very pleased to know that our installations and services met your expectations. Your good feedback encourages us to to continue offering our customers the best service.

With respects to your comment on the steps and road down to the Commercial Center, I am sorry you were not aware of our free shuttle bus that does this service back and forth at different hourly intervals from Moday to Friday.

Thank you for your good review and I hope to have the pleasure of greeting you personally should you finally decide to visit our island on a future occasion.

Domingo Castro Bello, Manager.
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

having read some negative reviews of this hotel , i feel compelled to write in their defence. i have stayed at this hotel twice, Ocober 2010 and January 2013.
yes, there are some problems with the hotel, but you should bear in mind how much you have paid to stay here, this hotel is cheaper than other hotels in Puerto,
The rooms are fine, all being good sized with plenty of draw space and the bathroom is ample in size. The balconies if facing the road offer great views up to Teide and the Oratavo Valley.
I know people have had issues with the main road in front of the hotel, well the roadworks have now been completed, and the traffic noise is hardly intrusive, the views more than compensate for this,

This is certainly a "german" friendly hotel,the entertainment is definitely tailored towards the german guests, however you dont go on holiday to watch an ordinary cabaret singer.

The hotel's location in La Paz may cause some patrons problems, the number of steep steps down to town centre can be wearing, this can be avoided by following the road route looping round the front of the El Tope. The hotel does also offer a courtesy bus service down the hill.By turning right down the main road, you are quickly into the centre of "old" Puerto de la Cruz, and the bus stop is ideal for getting around the island, the express bus for Santa Cruz also stops here.

The food was ok, We stayed for two weeks, so on some days, when few residents were in the hotel, the food standards did fall. but all in all not bad hotel.

Room Tip: dont worry about the main road noise, the views from the balcony more than compensate and you get pl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dirección H, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear NorthernCockney1,

First of all I would like to thank you very much for having chosen our Hotel once again for your holidays and also for sharing your experience amongst us with other Tripadvisor travellers. I am very pleased to know that you had an enjoyable stay amongst us and I appreciate the information you share on our rooms and views, on the location of our Hotel and our shuttle bus service down to the touristic center.

As regular customers of this Hotel, I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you during another visit, thank you for your kind comments, yours sincerely,

Domingo Castro, Manager.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I took a late booking via Thomson and was a little wary after reading reviews.The hotel was excelent and staff very helpful.2nd day reperted a faulty light ad requested extra pillows.Both items dealt with in 20 minutes.Food at this hotel is top class and plenty of variation.No problem with sun beds.My gripe would be with thomson for not informing us that it is mainly a hotel for Germans which is what the hotel is geared up for.First time to this part of Island and wouldnt visit again.Found the harbour area scruffy and the beaches littered with rubbish but the excelent hotel pool area was clean and good.(tmartin09@live.co.uk).

Room Tip: We had a room with a sea view.Very quiet.
Dear Tony M,

On behalf of the hotel staff and myself, I would like to convey to you our sincere thanks for your comments and for sharing your satisfaction with us. It is a pleasure for us to know that you have had an enjoyable stay amongst us and that our facilities, buffet, staff and pool have covered your expectations.

I regret that you did not find the city of Puerto de la Cruz to your liking and, although you say you will not return to the north of the island again, should you change your mind I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you personally to our hotel.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Positive: The hotel is very clean. The bathroom is very modern and well designed. It has parking facility ( hence the location on a hill doesn't affect us as we had a hired car). The location is very convenient to join the main roads for excursions and is only ten minutes' walk to town.Great variety of food choice and the lobby is very spacious.
Negative: It had only one functioning toaster for 200-300 people Though air conditioning is advertised, the facility is not available. The receptionist stated that it was still winter though the room was very hot even at night, hence no good sleep. There is a charge to use the safe. More ridiculous is the daily charge for the fridge even though one just wants to store one's own bottle water.

Room Tip: Higher floors have good view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dirección H, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Deare RoseHUK

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen our hotel for your holiday and secondly for habing taken your time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to know that you found the situation of our hotel, our installations and the variety of our food choice to your liking. Regarding the toaster, our Restaurant normally has two. I am sorry that one of them was not functioning.

Thank you once again for your positive feedback and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you on a future occasion, yours sincerely,

Domingo Castro Bello, Manager.
Inverness, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a week and i found it good value for the money, our room was clean and i had a good nights sleep, i found the bed very comfortable and our maid really nice and friendly although i am sorry that i cannot say that about most of the staff, but all in all i enjoyed my stay as the food was very good, the only bad point was the 156 steps down into town.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear ajallan:

First of all I would like to thank you for informing other Tripadvisor travellers of your good experience in our hotel. I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay amongst us and your good feedback on the room and our buffet encourages us to continue offering our guests the best service. Concerning the steps down into town, I am sorry you were not aware from the written informaion we give our clients during check-in that our hotel offers a shuttle bus service to/from the resort from Monday to Friday at different hour intervals.

Never the less, I am pleased that overall we have lived up to your expectations and I hope to have the pleasure of greeting you personally during a future visit.

Yours sincerely, Domingo Castro Bello, Manager.

Been to Hotel Puerto de la Cruz? Share your experiences!