when we booked we asked for a room on a lower floor, on arriving we were told we were on the 6th floor,after we mentioned this, the reception staff then put us, on the 4th floor. It was 9.30 in the evening and we were just glad to get something to eat ans assumed the food was stewed and cold as it was so late,after eating we went up to the room, the fridge had a lock on it but was open, so we switched on the fridge and the air conditioning 5 mins later we had a strong smell of burning in the room I phoned reception and told them, to be told that the air conditioning was'nt working I had to insist that someone came to check what was smelling of burn, the staff seemed unconcerned that the hotel may have been on fire, the engineer came to the room and refused to come into the room at first because of the smell of burning.
We were then moved into another room the air conditioning still didn't work and we were asked to pay an extra 2 euros a day if we wanted to use the mini fridge.
Choice of hot breakfast was boiled sausage, cold beans, cold cooked tomatoes, omelete,cold sliced mushrooms, bread and on the first day 2 toasters but one broke and was never replaced, bacon is only served once every 3 days. there was plenty of cereals, cold ham, cheese, cold boiled eggs, weak fruit juice, tea and coffee.
Most of the crockery was chipped and the joke going around the guests was, it is chips with everything. The food at all meal times was cold, we were advised by Thomsons to go down for dinner between 6.30pm and 7pm, we did this but it was no better.
The entertainment on most nights was a guy playing a keyboard. WE spent the first week complaining every day to the Thomsons 24 hour help line.
WE asked Thomsons to move us to another hotel as we were not getting the Quality that we had paid for, They would only move us to another 4 star hotel if we paid an extra £315.
After our first week we managed to contact a Thomsons rep at another hotel to ask him if he could do anything for us, we were so depressed, it was move to another hotel or organise early flights home. We ended up paying an extra £100 to be moved across the road to another 4 star hotel. Well if the Sol Puerto De La Cruz is 4 star the EL Tope hotel is 24 star,
I am convinced that at the Sol Puerto De La Cruz the food is put into the bairn marie cold and it relies on the heat of the bairn marie to heat it up, Food Poisoning is just waiting to happen.
- Also Known As:
- Sol Puerto De La Cruz Hotel Puerto De La Cruz
- Sol Puerto De La Cruz Hotel
- Puerto De La Cruz Sol
- Hotel Puerto De La Cruz Tenerife
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Puerto de la Cruz is located in the residential area of La Paz of Puerto de la Cruz, with fantastic views towards the sea or towards Mount Teide. The hotel has been recently refurbished and is surrounded by a splendid subtropical garden with a large variety of regional plants.It is situated 10 minutes from the city centre and from the Martiánez swimming pool and artifitial lake complex, creation of the lanzaroteño artist César Manrique.The capital Santa Cruz is 35 km away and the airports Reina Sofía (south) and Los Rodeos (north) are 96 km and 25 km away respectively. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Puerto de la Cruz reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.