“A lot to learn about customer service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Beatriz Atlantis & Spa Hotel

Save Saved
You added Beatriz Atlantis & Spa Hotel to your Saves list
Beatriz Atlantis & Spa Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Avda Venezuela 15, 38400 Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, Spain   |
Ranked #14 of 81 hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
“A lot to learn about customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I was extremely disappointed with this hotel. The building itself and the rooms were as described on their website, clean and modern, and up to the standard I would expect from a 4 star hotel but the level of customer service was extremely poor and the manager and his staff have a lot to learn. Being fortunate enough to travel a lot with my job I have a good appreciation of what level of customer engagement and service you would come to expect from a 4 star hotel and being warmly welcomed by the receptionist on arrival would be the minimum you would expect from any hotel but we didn't even get a 'hello' or 'ola' just informed our rooms wouldn't be ready. This was general level of guest engagement that persisted throughout our one week stay. I left the hotel feeling as though the staff wouldn't have cared whether we were there or not, and at times thought they were blatantly rude. This poor level of customer service was reinforced further when after leaving the hotel I realised at the airport I had left two small items in my room, and after several phone calls and an email asking the hotel if they could possibly pop them in an envelope and post them back to me, I received an email from a courier company who said the hotel had forwarded my items to them and it would cost £60 to return them to
me. What a shame that the manager doesn't realise the value of a bit of customer engagement and service. I won't be recommending this hotel to my friends or colleagues in my conference team.

• Stayed October 2013
Diego P, Director Comercial at Beatriz Atlantis & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Sir, are really sorry about thi inconvenience and we will report it immediately to our direction for their review. I sincerely ask for a sincere forgiveness.

Have our best regards!

605 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Found this hotel had good and bad.

Good / Bad - Would certainly be great views from a seaward facing room but 50% of the rooms face the hotels and shops across the road making for a fairly ordinary experience. Unable to upgrade (willing to pay) as hotel was full. Fair enough I was a last minute booking but I would not assume your room will have the glorious views others referred to since half simply cannot ahve this, so check in advance when you book if this will be important to you.
Good - Food which is buffet style was very good, lots of it, service excellent, and to upgrade from breakfast only, to half board, was extremely good value for money.
Bad - Were told you had to give 24 hours notice if you wished to take your half board as lunch instead of evening meal, rather than deciding on the day ! Too much hassle so just switched for every day at the start (and preferred to eat out most evenings anyway for the ambiance).

Bad - You couldn't eat your lunch in the outdoor area though you could at breakfast. Why?

Bad - No fridge in room.

Good/Bad - Safe in room but a charge (very minimal, 1euro I think), but phone to reception and say "I need someone to open my safe (after already arranging at reception the evening before ) and they will immediately say "there is a charge for that" and you say "I know that, I agreed to pay already, I need someone to open it now please " and 2 hours later, repeat since no one came. Go out, come back hours later, safe still closed, when you phone again, again are immediately told "you need to pay". 3 attempts before someone came to open it at 1 euro per day.

Good/bad - Parking is AWFUL around the hotel (and in PDC) , the hotel has underground parking but not that many spaces so you need to book it in advance and pay per day. And when you arrive and try to park they will say"oh you need to pay" and you'll say "i know that I booked it already" and they'll say "you have to come to reception" which is awkward when your car is down the bottom of a steep ramp round the other side of the hotel ! And then at reception you say "I need to get into car park pelase" and they say, yes you guessed it "you need to pay" etc.

I"m not objecting to the payment itself, just the constant repetition that "you have to pay" without checking if you already have and just need a problem fixing.

Another example of this, tea/coffee. Another 4 Euros per day. Ran out of one type of tea bags, asked maid , yep the mantra "you need to pay" again - "I AM paying I just want some different tea bags!!

Good - Massive pool, lots of sun beds, never had a problem getting one.

Good - A very short stroll to the main restaurant and bar areas but far enough away not be be disturbed

Good - Pool in full or mostly sunlight (this is mid Oct) until about 3pm.

Good - Area around hotel pretty quiet, never had any disturbances of any cause, might have helped by being up quite high (9th floor).

Good - Air conditioning in room worked well and was quiet.

Bad - Carpets in the hall (on 9th floor anyway) are dismally stained and look very dirty. They need an extra deep clean or replacing. Might seem trivial but it doesn't give a good impression especially first time.

Good - Room size, room cleanliness and maid service

Good - Very good value for money overall

Good/ Bad - WIfi free (amazingly considering extra cost for everything else ) but extremely erratic, very strong signal in corridor or near the room door but by centre of room had dropped to very low signal and on balcony generally nothing. In the lobby I could get a nearby hotels wifi (H10) but sometimes not the BA's ! No availability at all by pool. And then when it could be seen it didn't always connect (this was on two different devices so pretty sure it wasn't me but an issue with what technology they use ).

Room Tip: Check before booking that you can get a sea view room. If you have a car, booking a parking space i...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Diego P, Director Comercial at Beatriz Atlantis & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Sir, we hope you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks a lot for such a complete review. We will send it to our quality department as there are some really interesting points they should analize. Thanks a lot for your contribution. Your comments are really important for us, as they make us improve our service to our guests.

Have our best regards and hope to see you soon!
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We spent one week in this hotel and it was really great. Sea view from the room, very quiet (not in the center but really close by foot). The food (breakfast) was also excellent.
If you rent a car, you would better reserve parking or try to find a parking place on the road along the cliff.

Room Tip: Book a room with sea view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
It is very nice you had the chance to visit the island. Renting a car is a great idea to visit Teide, Garachico and some other incredible places in the sorrounding of Puerto de la Cruz. We would like to thank you for your comment. Hope to see you in Tenerife soon again. Have our best regards!!!
Branston Pickle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Just returned from a two week stay in this wonderful hotel. Firstly 'location' which is just perfect on sea front at quieter end of Puerto with amazing views out to sea over the black sandy beach.
Secondly the hotel was spotlessly clean and rooms were well maintained and serviced. Thirdly we travelled on half board basis and over the two weeks of our stay found plenty of variety in both breakfast and evening meals. We visited the spa area one day and were able to take advantage of the 50% offer that hotel residents get; spent a very enjoyable afternoon enjoying the spa pool and Jacuzzi. Finally the staff, they were all so helpful and polite and really went out of their way to enable us to have a most enjoyable experience. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone considering visiting Puerto and we certainly hope to be returning sometime soon.

Room Tip: We paid a little extra for sea view and requested a room on 12th floor ...consider it money well spe...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
It is really nice hearing you enjoyed your stay with us! Our main concern is that you have the best time possible during your holidays.

Have our best regards and thanks a lot for your recommendation too.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Lovely hotel great rooms just like the photos, can see the sea from even the lower price rooms. Clean and modern with lovely art works and furniture. Breakfast was a bit samey and slightly cramped but am pulling at strings as the stay was great. Make sure you reserve parking as parking in the area is a nightmare!

• Stayed September 2013
Diego P, Director Comercial at Beatriz Atlantis & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
You have made us smile and we would like to thank you for such a nice review! It is really nice to know you enjoyed the days you spent with us! Have our best regards and hope to see you soon! ;o)
Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed here for a week and it was a lovely week!

The location was perfect with some shops and places to eat only a short walk away but not too close to be noisy. The views (you must book a sea view!) were amazing and you are really looking straight out onto the black sanded beach and the coastline. Also the transportation was super. A ten minute walk to the bus station and we went to Santa Cruz for the day. A three minute walk and you reach the free tain to Loro Park (A must see!). Also close by was a really big outdoor swimming pool complex which is a great place to laze away the day.

Back to the hotel...

Clean with nice rooms and a super welcoming package of fruit and water. Nice size with a lovely bathroom. Balcony was nice and the sea view was worth a little extra money. Unfortunately the shower design is quite silly. Each time we used it water spilled out on to the floor of the bathroom. It was nice to have two different kinds of showerheads to use but using up towels to mop up the floor each time was annoying.

The toilets from various neighbours being flushed can be heard all day and night long. Not too annoying but louder than I have heard in other hotels. Also our toilet kept running for ages after being flushed. We did call the front desk and they sent someone but it had stopped by the time someone came and we didn't want to bother them again.

Oh and the TV was a joke. The choice of channels was poor. Maybe seven? All different languages and none worth watching. It didn't hurt us not having something to watch but we expected better and maybe others are looking for a nice selection.

Our double bed was two singles pushed together which meant one of us usually ended up falling into the gap. The room was tidy and room service did a great job everyday. The first day we were even left a chocolate bar. I was very disappointed this wasn't left behind everyday ;)

The staff were ok. I missed being greeted when we entered the hotel. Of course if everyone is busy at the front desk I don't expect them to drop everything and say hello but the majority of the times we went past there was nothing going on and the staff just glanced up uninterested. A little hello wouldn't go a miss.

In the resturant I found the staff sometimes a little infuriating, Some spoke English and some some German but I never knew which language to use. It would have been nice to have a little flag on their uniforms to see which language they could speak...it would have saved us asking things twice in different languages or even them getting another collegue to explain.

The bossy guy gets a mention here too (maybe you know who I mean) It maybe the Spanish way to walk around like a dictator and shooing the staff around the place but I didn't like it. I found the service to be much nicer, relaxed and friendlier when he wasn't around. Maybe he can tone it down a bit?

There is apparently a policy (written all over the place) that men must where long trousers to the evening meal but it was never inforced. We saw shorts every evening on at least ten men.

As for the food...my guy didn't have a huge problem as he will eat anything but I don't eat meat. Now breakfast was great. Lots too choose from and I was a happy bunny when I found the pancakes but the evening meal really was hard for me. I was never sure if anything that looked meat free was indeed meat free. When I asked I couldn't get a straight answer. So I mostly ate chips and bread. Sometimes veggies if they looked and tasted ok. I read somewhere that any special needs should be mentioned but to be honest in this day and age I don't feel that having a few meat free dishes at such a huge buffet of food is too much to expect.

The bar area was nice with cheap cocktails. Some of the cocktails tasted disgusting but if you find one you like you can't go wrong for five euro! The Spanish singers were somehow funny and good at the same time. I am sure people who like this kind of music would appreciate it more.

Warning...nobody tells/warns you if there is going to be a wedding/event at the hotel. One night we were kept awake all night with loud music. I have no problem with this but it would have been nice to have been informed/warned! Maybe given a free bottle of wine for the evening? Something?

The pool was clean and welcoming. We swam there each day and spent some afternoons lying around by the pool. There are families with kids so it can sometimes be a little loud but I found the majority of the parents kept their children close to them and quiet. We didn't use the spa area. It looked very inviting on the leaflets but the information was sketchy on how to book time and also the prices were very off putting.

Lastly, someone mentioned they got some special treatment for their birthday. Only expect this if you go up and say it is your birthday. They copied our passports when checking in and saw my date of birth. Nobody said anything about my big day or did I recieve anything special from the hotel.

All in all a nice hotel. I have stayed in a lot worse. I had some minor problems that altogether didn't ruin my stay. I would stay here again if I ever go back to Tenerife and I would check out the other hotels from the same chain if I was visiting somewhere else in Spain.

Room Tip: Sea view is worth it!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir, we would like to thank you for your time and review and also for your trust in our hotel chain. It would be a big pleasure to have you here again (or maybe in Toledo, Lanzarote, Albacete or Valencia). We are glad you and your guy enjoyed your stay with us. However we have seen there were some minor problems, so we will inform our quality department. Concerning the birthday, it is true that normally it is a familiar who tell us about it. We are sorry we did not have any detail so... congratulations! We promise next time we will be more attentive.

Have our best regards!!!
Diemen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

It is a very nice hotel on a great location in Puerto de la Cruz. The hotel has a lovely Spa on the top floor incl. pool. The restaurant and pool bar provide you with a drink or breakfast /lunch /dinner and most of the rooms have a beautifull view of the sea.
The staff are very helpful and most of them speak English.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
It seems you had a great time with us and we would like to thank you for sharing your experience in tripadvisor. Have our best regards. We hope to see you soon again!

Been to Beatriz Atlantis & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!