“A "Marriot" not made in heaven!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of AC Hotel Gran Canaria by Marriott

Save Saved
You added AC Hotel Gran Canaria by Marriott to your Saves list
AC Hotel Gran Canaria by Marriott
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Eduardo Benot 3, 35007 Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
London, United Kingdom
“A "Marriot" not made in heaven!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I was looking forward to 5 nights in the AC Marriot in Las Palmas. My girlfriend was there on business and persuaded me to join her although I would arrive before her and depart after her. She previously contacted the hotel by email to make the necessary arrangements for me. They were slow and intermittent in replying with little or no clarification. In the end she telephoned 3 times. She was very clear that a double bed would be preferred and was told that it would be granted.
On my arrival via the Courtesy Shuttle bus, I checked in. On opening the door to the room I realised it was 2 beds pushed together. I went back down to reception and told them that they had better change the room or they would have Mrs. P to deal with (Mrs. P is German and no nonsense). They obliged. The room was ok, a tad on the small side. Minimum toiletries supplied, hair and body shampoo, body creme…no conditioner but a shoe cleaning sponge – perhaps this served 2 purposes; nourishes and shines shoes and hair alike. I did have to question my self if it really was a Marriot???? For some reason, house keeping decided not to replenish my now dwindling supply of the above. I pointed this out to reception, of which that evening, 2 of everything was on the floor outside the room?
The noise from traffic and buses woke me at 6am….the balcony door was not closed properly….I latterly discovered the lock was broken, thus not closing properly. I bent it back in to shape although I lost a finger nail.
Breakfast was on the top floor (p.22) – it had great panoramic views. The choice of “COLD FOOD” was minimal and no hot food to be seen.
The swimming pool on the roof was tiny – about a dozen beds around it, many of them broken. These beds seemed mainly taken up by cabin crew from various airlines that were staying there. No pool side service.
Wi-Fi, somewhat intermittent, couldn't get in the room but sparsely in reception. Occasionally it happened as long as the various cabin crews hadn't over run it.
In essence, I am very disappointed with all aspects of this hotel and has put me off ever staying at another Marriot again. I travel a lot and generally tend to use boutique hotels – I find them much more personable and pay more attention to detail. Lesson learned, stay away from the corporates, there always seems to be a degree of arrogance. Also, this was not a cheap hotel.
One final thing, if you don’t like queuing, don’t stay here. There are 3 lifts servicing 22 floors, when its busy you could wait for ages…..all in all…a complete waste of 5 nights (apart from Mrs.P)….

Room Tip: If you like peace and quiet this hotel is not for you; I was going to say book rooms high up and tow...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Polish first
Yeovil, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a business trip for two nights, it's a good location fairly central and close to the beach. Rooms are fairly standard, bizarre sliding bathroom door.

Used the restaurant on the first night and the food was very poor. Nobody else in the restaurant- two fixed menus but poor quality. The first was seriously undercooked for a friend too.

• Stayed January 2013
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Good location, small rooms, restaurant was poor quality - heated up and not fresh. Breakfast was few options and boring and all cold. Wifi only free in reception and restaurant. Steps at front very steep!! Parking discount was good- half price at Elder parking

• Stayed January 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed here between Christmas 2012 through Three Kings January 2013.. Read the other recent reviews. I totally agree with ones from reviewers staying at same time. Excellent location and very nice cleaning staff; however, it was only a room - not a Marriott or even an AC. I felt the hotel was understaffed at peak holiday period and totally lacking in simple amenities (ie. coffee in lobby, bar tender at night, sufficient deck chairs at pool.)

Roof top restaurant had beautiful views but guests brought their laptops to dinner to use the free wi-if. Totally no atmosphere. Strangers wandered in to pick up the free lobby wi-fi (guests had to pay 6 euros an hour if they used it in their room.)

The PLUS - great location so if you do stay -- Go out the front door, down steps on left, walk 4 blocks to beach, turn right and walk until you are at La Oliva restaurante or La Marinera. If you turn left, you will have lots of options and fun dining options.

I had an excellent room rate, and my card was charged without my permission when I arrived. That was ok - but I had planned to use my new Marriott card for points. Oh well - Salvador on night duty is fantastic and I loved the room maid - charming and efficient.

Room Tip: Room on 15 overlooking the harbor - wonderful. We saw the fireworks for the Three Kings celebration...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The rooms are nice and clean and modern.
But the hotel seems to lack what it had... a sky bar, a better use of the view and a small renovation of the rooms balcony.

Still, if you get an ok price it is dead central, and easy to come and go as you wish.

PS! Three elevators and 30 floors... do try to avoid using them at check out hours... it might take a few minutes if you live high up :-)

Room Tip: High up gives you a good view, but be ware as it costs extra for a sea view, which considering that...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as a family with friends and consistently experienced some of the worst service I have ever endured in a western country. The hotel itself is in the business area, the heart of the city, only a short stroll from the main shopping area and a five-minute taxi ride from the beach.
It's interior is beautifully designed with a modern, business-like feel. There, unfortunately, the positives end.
My wife took ill during our stay so we were a little dependent on room service which ranged from distaster to calamity.
One hour after placing our first order we were still waiting. When I called I was told they had forgotten our room number. Fair enough; mistakes happen. Half an hour later when our order had still not arrived I was told it had been sent to the wrong room. When it did arrive, two hours after being ordered, every single item was wrong. Every single item.
Still every establishment is allowed a bad day. The next day we tried again and ordered the vegetable sandwich, the only savoury item on the limited item I as a vergetarian could order. What arrived was a ham and cheese sandwich. No problem. I explained the problem to the waiter and explained that I did not eat fish or meat. Ten minutes later the ham sandwich was replaced with a tuna sandwich. Eventually when the sanwich arrived it was some jarred white asparagus on white processed "pan" bread with no dressing. I'm hardly a gourmand but I found this inedible.
The other dissapointment was the wifi, which at €12 per day seems exhorbitant. Worse still the service you get for that is poor and and not suitable, for instance, if you want to watch Youtube.
In fairness I should point out tha we stayed between Christmas and the New Year, so it is entirely possible the hotel had its "B" team on duty. Still the proliferation of service issues, of which the above are only examples, points to an underlying management problem.
We had booked at the last minute and this was one of the only hotels available. Now I know why. Avoid if good service, food our wifi are part of your holiday plans.

Stayed December 2012
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Really enjoyed our stay at the AC marriott hotel. the staff, service, room and breakfast were just lovely! we holiday in las palmas twice a year as enjoy the weather the beach and the shopping, we have stayed at other 4 star hotels but will stay here again!

Rooms are cleaned to a high standard daily and there is a free minibar which is topped up daily,
we asked for a room near the top of the building with a double bed and sea view and thats what we got! If you want to change the language of the dubbed over english programmes back to english this is easy to do with the right remote control- just ask at reception!

The weather was lovely first week in december we were on the beach most days however it does get a lot cooler at night you will need a jacket/jumper etc

Looking forward to our next trip!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the top of the building with a sea view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to AC Hotel Gran Canaria by Marriott? Share your experiences!