“Great Hotel Excellent location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Reina Isabel Hotel

You added Reina Isabel Hotel to your Saves list
Reina Isabel Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   c/ Alfredo L. Jones, 40, 35008 Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria, Spain   |
lanzarote
“Great Hotel Excellent location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The hotel is situated right on the promenade with fantastic sea views and easy access to the beach, shops and bars. The staff were really friendly and a great cocktail bar/cafe on the sea side of the hotel that served a top class Mojito. The spa was excellent, situated on the top floor with views to die for and all included in the price of the room. I would definitely recommend the Reina Isabel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Finnish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Staying here at the moment for a week. 3d day in and what can i say...amazing! Location is perfect, hotel maybe a little dated but in these hard times at least you can see some renovations happening. Little by little it will get done. Who has 20 million to invest at the moment? As far as service goes it is way above standard. Having worked in the industry for a number of years, these guys go beyond good service. Absolutely love staying here so far and we said we would come back again within 24h of being here.

• Stayed September 2013
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed 2 days for business ,the service was very good ,everything was perfect.
the place was beautiful near to beach . The breakfast was amazing ,everything you want they have it. Has extra facilities (eg spa) with extra charge and wifi with good speed

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Moss, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Exelent location by the beach and close to shoping in the City. Very good hotel standard and a breakfast buffet that takes you to heaven. From the hotel you can walk in both directions along the beach promenade where you will find a wide range of restaurants. Sitting on the outdoor restaurant in the hotel is relaxing and nice if you like to watch people walking by. This hotel takes you in to a luxury atmosphere without spending to much money.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a seaview
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is our 6th time in six years visiting this hotel. We booked a suite instead of the usual double room. The suite was large and had a huge bathroom with jacuzzi bath (which unfortunately did not work). I have read previous comments regarding the fridge in the rooms..The fridge smelled musty and had not been on for a while. The key card needs to be in the key slot at the door for the electricity to come on. Obviously the room had not been occupied for a while and the fridge door left closed as opposed to open to prevent smells. It took a couple of days for it to get to a cool temperature but there was still a horrible musty smell coming from it. Otherwise housekeeping was excellent and the room and bathroom spotless.
The rooms are a bit dated but there is evidence of investment in the hotel - flat screen TVs have replaced the old portable TVs, the spa area is lovely and La Parilla, the 8th floor restaurant is currently being renovated. Wifi is available though out the hotel which is great.
We spent most days at the pool so as not to stand in line waiting for a sunbed at the beach. Alessandro puts these out at 9am but the queue starts at 8.15am. Not sure why as there are plenty beds. Moises at the pool bar took great care of us- service is very good and there are plenty of loungers. Food and wine is cheaper in the hotel than in the restaurants.
Breakfast is good with plenty choice. The restaurant manager also ensured I had my gluten free bread.
The terrace is nice to sit after dinner but the bar closes sharp at midnight.
Plenty restaurants on the promenade. We particularly liked La Marinera for fabulous fish and Casa Carmelo- great house salad and steaks.
Macarroni's didn't have the same service level as on previous occasions and having phoned ahead requesting gluten free pasta, they only had GF pizza base. Service was also poor.
The hotel is close to Vegueta and Triana, the old town. The are many taxis outside the front of the hotel that can take you to the old town for a few euros We walked to the old town along the marina past the dog park where you can walk or cycle for miles. There are also a few good eating places near the casino - rias biajas being one of them. We like this hotel as it's peaceful and also there are very few British tourists- mostly Spanish and German.

Room Tip: Request a sea view room. Suites are worth the extra cost in my opinion.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Deal, KENT.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

HOTEL REINA ISABEL AND SAGA HOLIDAYS
I reviewed this hotel in October, 2011 when we promised ourselves we would return. My wife had been very ill over the Christmas and New Year period 2012/2013 and we had had to cancel a holiday to Portugal covering that period. I had decided that when she was fit enough to travel I would take her to somewhere I knew she would be comfortable and familiar with, that somewhere was Hotel Reina Isabel.
Because of the pressure I was under at the time I had decided to take the easier option and book the hotel through a package deal. Saga Holidays was the only company I could find doing this hotel so for convenience I booked through them. It was far from convenient, it was very inconvenient. The major problem I came up against was that I could not book our seats on the aircraft with Thomas Cook, the carrier, as they did not recognise our names because Saga had not released the manifest and would not do so until 7/10 days before departure. I approached Saga with my problem, I wished to book the extra leg room seats, and their response was that it was Thomas Cook who was always playing awkward with Saga. When I pointed out that Thomas Cook needed names it was like talking to a wall.
I have booked our holiday flights, hotels and car hire independently now for 10 years and I will take this route in future. It cost £270 more to travel by Saga and other than the inconvenience of not being able to book our seats and not even sitting together the only benefits were transport between airport and hotel, afternoon tea with cakes left over from breakfast getting staler by the day and a hotel courier, Karen. Karen was a gem who had really done her homework and produced a book of just about everything anybody needed to know about Las Palmas. If anyone stays at this hotel I would recommend they check this book out. Unfortunately Karen after greeting us and introducing her book at the reception the following morning, left on her vacation leaving us in the hands of a much less experienced courier. They say one should never say ‘never again’ but where Saga is concerned I can very comfortably and confidently say ‘Never Ever Again’
Having booked the holiday with Saga, I telephoned reservation at Reina Isabel and introduced myself as having stayed there before. They had no knowledge of my wife and I through Saga as they had not received a manifest but they were able to trace me through their records and I was able to secure the same room we had had previously on the fifth floor in the centre of the hotel. It transpired that each of the Saga guests was allocated the 3rd floor, which in my opinion is not high enough. The hotel was unchanged. Breakfast was excellent and dinner was the same as our previous visit,a good variety but bland and not always as hot as it should have been, the soup was always good and hot. They had introduced a young Scandinavian woman who prepared pasta dishes from a table full of ingredients to your personal choice and taste, this, I found, was very interesting.
Karen, from Saga, had explained that over the past year or so the police had introduced a very low tolerance attitude that had really affected petty crime figures and muggings were a thing of the past? There was no doubt that there was a lot of police presence, walking, cycling, horseback, motorcycle and car, even police helicopters. There didn’t seem as many street musicians about this year and we did see police examining papers/permits, couldn’t help thinking if the low tolerance was responsible? The trumpeter was still about and it was a pleasure to listen to him. We had a light lunch out each day which we varied that averaged out about 15 euros with drinks, not bad. Can’t be specific but there are dozens of eating places to choose from along Las Canteras Promenade.
On our arrival at Gran Canaria airport I had approached Thomas cook’s office to enquire about booking our return seats and was given the office number in Playa del Ingles (south of the island) I telephoned giving my name, hotel and room telephone number and was told she would phone me as soon as Saga released the manifest. The call came 5 days before our return. We could book our seats but we could not sit together, the best they could do was situate us across the aisle from each other. Better than nothing 20 euros. Rot in hell Saga.
Conclusion. The off street approach to the hotel is across their small free car park, it is at the back of the hotel and is drab. Once inside it lights up, the reception area is spacious and airy with plenty of comfortable settees and armchairs, the reception is permanently manned with pleasant, well informed staff. Walking through reception you exit via the bar onto Las Canteras prom. and the beach where there are complimentary beach beds and umbrellas. One day whilst swimming in the sea I noticed the top floor had larger balconies and enquired about them. I was told that these were executive rooms and demanded an extra premium of about £100 per week. I was shown a room with a street aspect. It was spacious with settee and armchair seating a large bed and a large bathroom with walk-in shower, it was very nice and when I

Room Tip: The exec rooms on the top floor look good if you can afford them
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Located on Las Canteras Beach, this hotel is extremely clean and beautiful. There is a sun deck and pool on the top floor overlooking the ocean. The elevators only go to the 8th floor at the pool - If you take the stairs to the 9th floor you have free access to the spa. It is a hidden gem that only a few people find to use. Extremely large hot tub (could seat 10-15 with comfort) with multiple jets, waterfall spout, and 2 water massage chairs. There is also a small sauna and Greek saltwater floating pool. Checkout it 12pm but they will allow you to leave your luggage at the front desk so you can enjoy the spa or pool the entire day of checkout. A few lockers are provided in the spa on te 9th floor.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Reina Isabel Hotel? Share your experiences!