“bit of a rip off.” 2 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
Reading, United Kingdom
“bit of a rip off.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We booked the Music Hall Tavern through our Thomas Cook Rep whilst staying at the sun prime Atlantic. For the show on the 31/5/13
The cost was 49 euro each for myself and my other half. So nearly 100 euro The Thomas cook rep told us that the 49 euro covered the show a three course meal and drinks. On arrival we were not allowed into the show area of the venue. We were told to wait in the bar until we were called to our tables. We were also told that we would have to buy our own drinks whilst we waited approx. 40 minutes to go to our tables. We also had to go past a programme seller who wanted 10 euro for the programme. They told us 3 euro of that 10 goes to charity. (i never like that type of selling option) if they want 10 euro for a programme the programme should be worthy of 10 euro.
So as we had been told that the 49 euro each covered drinks we decided to wait for our drinks when we got to our tables. When we finally got to our tables there was drink options of red or white wine or lager. These were handed out via jugs that the waiters were pouring from.
I am not a great wine drinker and preferred to lager. However there were only wine glasses on the table. I asked the waiter if I could have a beer glass but I was told that if I wanted beer I would have to go to the bar and buyr a beer and keep the glass to be topped up when in the show venue. This I thought was totally wrong we were not told we had to buy our first drinks to allow us to have a beer during the show.
We had a three course meal it was hot and edible (soup, chicken and chips and a slice of vienetta.
We got to our seats at approx. 8:10 I had to go back to the bar and buy a drink so I had a glass I am not a guzzler so I had a few sips of the pint I had purchased. Got topped up a couple of times i.e a I had a few sips glass maybe got no more than a third empty. We had the meal and at approx. 09:00 the show started at that point we were told the free drinks package is now finished.
The show started the three performers were called Peggy Lee, Special K and Chrystel. There are three drag artists that sing a bit and mime to songs to create comedy they start of the show was quite good and I would say the star of the show buy a long way was special K. he/she was excellent a real professional. Peggy lee was ok she/he mainly mimed to songs some were funny but after a while it got a bit samey with her and Chrystal tried hard but was marginal with the performance. I think Chrystal was a bit younger than the rest and maybe needs a bit more experience doing comedy/singing drag act.
The first part of the show ended with Peggy Lee flogging raffle tickets a 10 euro for three strips for prizes such as a bottle of bailey, wine, t shirts and baseball hats . most of the prizes with the exception of the bailey would cost less than 10 euro.
So I thought the event was a bit of a rip off and entertainment was average at best. I would not recommend this event to anyone.

Visited May 2013

Bilston
8 attraction reviews
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

The venue, okay the main function room is well presented and looks professional, though it is inside a social club, not the best impression from the outside on arrival.
One negative aspect is that you have no option but to go past the programme seller (10E, 3E to charity), and also must have your photo taken before your allowed to sit down. More money is further attempted to be extracted during the raffle selling during the interval.
The three course meal served was okay (cheap pub fare – soup, chicken+chips and Viennetta), came out hot. The serving was well managed. The staffs are friendly, frequently around topping up drinks. Wine was not very palatable and no choice, either white or red only other option is beer.
The entertainment was professional and very well rehearsed; Special K is an excellent performer and is a very strong singer. Crystal tries her best but vocally does not come through in some of the songs though still a good entertainer. Peggy Lee was a seasoned professional, though I’ve seen similar routines before elsewhere. Special K does her best to get everyone involved and energised. The costumes are very impressive.
However, overall I didn’t really enjoy it, similar routines I’ve seen already at the “Dreamgirls” in Turkey and “Ricky’s”, Playa del Ingles. It was not the best night of my holiday.

Visited May 2013