We recently visited La Gomera for a few days and stayed in the Parador. As a general fan of the Parador concept this did not disappoint. A very well and sympathetically restored and extended building set in great grounds with lovely views of San Sebastian and over the sea to Tenerife.
We had a "junior suite" and it was immaculately clean and in good order. There were a couple of small maintenance issues - the patio doors are a pain to open and close, the "spa bath" did not work (but was not advertised so one can't really complain) and the hair dryer initially did not work although that was quickly remedied with a loan until the built in unit was fixed. There were also no tea/coffee making facilities in the room nor was there an iron - this is common in Spain although some more modern hotels are starting to provide them but I mention it in the hope that it might register with Paradores to bring them in.
The gardens and public areas are beautiful and the pool is set in a great position with good views. It appears to be unheated and although Canarian winters are mild (it was 23 C when we were there) it does make for a rather bracing swimming experience as the sun does not really warm the pool to comfortable levels.
The food is excellent and portion sizes enormous. There is a lot of choice on the menu most of which gives a good selection of Spanish and Canarian dishes. The wine list is not long but well chosen again giving a good selection of Spanish regional wines and a few from further afield. Given the quality and quantity of the offerings I think the €33 menu (included if you stay half board) is very good value. Breakfasts are buffet style with a large selection and are basically identical to the offerings in every other Parador - which is not a bad thing.
All in all a nice place to stay and up to the general Parador standard.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The building of this Parador expresses in its architectural forms the mysteries and enigmas in this Canary island and invites the guest to enjoy themselves in this paradisiacal setting and to contemplate, from its common rooms, unsurpasable views of the ocean and of the island of Tenerife in the background with the Teide peak. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Tingo, HotelsClick, BookingOdigeoWL, HotelTravel.com, Escapio and Venere so you can book your Parador de la Gomera reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Parador De La Gomera Hotel
- Parador De La Gomera San Sebastian De La Gomera, Spain