“Basic and Clean with Awesome Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cala Bona & Mar Blava Hotels

You added Cala Bona & Mar Blava Hotels to your Saves list
Cala Bona & Mar Blava Hotels
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avda del Mar 14-16 | Urb. Son Oleo, 07760 Ciutadella, Minorca, Spain   |
Ranked #10 of 60 Hotels in Ciutadella
MidAtlantic
“Basic and Clean with Awesome Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

We stayed here for two nights in early august. The hotel was basic and clean, but a little dated in places. However some little touches had been made to some of the older parts of the room to freshen them in quite a quirky and interesting way (we had a very old, but functional, fridge that could have looked awful but instead had been painted green and just look kind of cool/funky). My wife and I had just stayed in a boutique hotel on the other side of the island and clearly this hotel was not in same class, but it was clean, simple, and fun.

What really makes this hotel is the location. Set on a outcropping above a narrow and boat-less bay the hotel has beautiful views of the sea and the sunset. Breakfast is served on the terrace and you can walk down a short flight of steps to some flat rocks where many hotel guests, and a few guests, sunbathe. From here you can either use the ladder to climb into the water or simply dive straight in. While we were there a number of local children were diving off a nearby outcropping some 20ft above the water. The water is deep and clear here and people are regularly swimming here all through the day. It is roped off from boats which makes it that much nicer.

As well as its proximity to the beautiful waters of the Mediterranean the hotel is also only a short, 5 - 10 minute, walk from the Old Town of Ciudaella. This makes it easy to get in and out of the town and all of the great restaurants, bars, museums etc.

We really enjoyed our stay here and would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the sea.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

Had a very nice stay at Mar Blava. The hotel is very clean and well-run by Antoni and his two sons, who all speak English and are very courteous and helpful. Breakfast on the terrace overlooking the inlet and out to the sea is wonderful. The location is great---out of the fray but only a 10-minute easy walk to the town centre. We were shown two rooms on arrival. The first was quite small but the second was a nice size, with a view of the sea. Nothing fancy in these rooms, no air conditioning, no double beds, no toiletries. But the ceiling fans did the job and it was very quiet around the hotel. The pool was really refreshing. Great price. Internet/computer in the lounge wasn't always available/functioning. This is a wonderful hotel in its price category and we were quite comfy there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

Family run budget Hotel that is oh so tired and in need of attention - but I wouldn't let this put you off. You can swim in the sea from the rocks outside the Hotel's position overlooking the sea. Lovely to sit on the terrace having breakfast or a night cap and only 10 minutes walk into town. Owner recently retired and has passed business to his sons who look switched on enough to make this a lovely boutique hotel. The rooms are dated and you can tell that it is maintained on the basis that when it breaks (and that can happen any time with any thing) they will fix it or prop it up. I hope the owners read this review; you have good staff and the potential to turn a run down, tired hotel into a super, profitable concern. Good Luck.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

I stayed at Cala Bona and it is slightly quirky but very nice. It’s a family run business and the hotel staff are very good. Especially the two young guys. Breakfast is basic but adequate. The bedrooms are very clean and the towels are replaced daily. Yes the shower in my room was small but more importantly it was clean. I had a lovely balcony and enjoyed hearing the lapping of the water as I was going to sleep at night. On the downside were the mosquitos but I’m not blaming the hotel for that. The other downside was that the cleaner disposed of my vitamin tablets on the very first day leaving me with none! Aside from that, I would definitely recommend this hotel. It is near enough to the town to be handy (10-15 min walk) but far enough away to be peaceful. The swimming platform is very good and was never covered in cigarette ends when I was there.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
toronto, canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

Since I am a solo traveller, before I book any hotel, I try to research every aspect of the area where it is located, the price etc. I also read reviews, and am greatful that there are sites out there and people who are willing to write them. Having said that, I thought I would share with you my experience. The reviews I read for this hotel were mainly positive,but there were some negative ones too. Some people gave rated the hotel low, but said it was acceptable. I will tell you what my experience was, and I hope it helps you in your search. I should also mention, as I travel, I try to have an open mind about everything, especially about my hotel and the people who run it. Having said that, here is my review.

I stayed at the Cala Bona - the hotel itself however has 2 buildings, for 3 nights. I had a balcony overlooking the beach, in a room with 2 double beds. The room was bright and airy and very clean. It is true, I was solo, however I do think even for a couple or 3 people, the room would be large enough without feeling cramped. Plus, you are not there to spend your holiday in your hotel room - you are there to experience Menorca.
The cleaning lady was very kind - on the first day she came and cleaned my room while I had breakfast (which by the way is delicious and included but more on that later). The second day, she came a bit late around noonish, and she found me in the room. She was going to come back later, but even though I didn't speak Spanish we understood eachhother and I stepped out while she cleaned my room.
Since I am a very tidy person, she didn't have much work to do. A note though, she didn't change the bed linens. I am assuming this is because I was only there for 3 nights. It didn't bother me, because like I said, I had 2 double beds I could chose from and plenty of space. If this bothers you, I am sure the manager would be more than happy to have them changed for you. But for me, this was not an issue.
Some reviewers mentioned that the shower stall was small and cramped. I agree it was small, but not cramped. More than adequate for a normal sized person, and it gets the job done, not to mention it was CLEAN. Some of you also mentioned the toilet being in a weird spot (cramped into the sink). Yep, I had that too. And it wasn't that bad. Afterall you1re in, and out. You are not spending your vacation in the loo, so really, unless this should come up when you are paying couple of hundreds of dollars or euros per night, this shouldn't be an issue.
Another issue i saw mentioned was the room door. Yes it was wooden, yes there was a 2 mm gap between the door and the floor, and yes it might have seemed like someone could kick it down. But you are on an island not the middle of New York, and to me it was charming, and seemed more like a B&B than a hotel. The owner also locks the hotel door downstairs every night and I have never felt unsafe while I stayed there.
Breakfast - I also saw some people complained about this. It was excellent! There was a variety of choices from cereal, muesli, muffins, little breads, croissants, cold cuts, excellent cheese, hot coffee, tea and orange juice. Eveything you need to start your day off right, buffet style. Not to mention, you had the option of sitting out on the terrace and eating your breakfast out there. You can't ask for a better morning.
The hotel also has a swimming pool. I didn't actually try it out because i went to the beach instead - which by the way cou can access right from the hotel. So I cannot comment on the state of the pool and the furniture as some of the other reviewers mentioned it's old and rusty. I don't know, I took a look, the pool was very clean, the furniture looked rustic, but definetly not in a state that it would warrant replacement.
Internet -- the hotel has internet, with Wifi connection, as of Sept. only at the Mar Blava. At the Cala Bona, I coudln't connect to Wifi and I was told this will be introduced in November. This didn't really bother me. The owner also has a computer in the reception and you can use it anytime and that is what I did. It was great.
Lastly, the owner is fantastic! He speaks English very well, not to mention a variety of other languages too. As I mentioned, travel with an open mind and a positive attitude and you will have a great trip. He went above and beyond to make my stay fantastic and it was. Since I was alone, he had breakfast with me every morning and we exchanged stories and chatted. He made suggestions about where I should go and what I should see. He told me the history of the island and for me at least, it was a fantastic experience.
I think, when I return to the island, I will only stay at this hotel. The staff is extremely nice and hospitable. I didn't speak Spanish, and unlike other countries I have visited, this was not an issue.
I sincerely recommend this hotel. If you are like me, and travel with an open mind and positive attitude, I assure you you will have a great time at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
West Yorkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

We stayed at the Cala Bona in July. Of the two buildings, the other being the Mar Blava, I would say the Cala Bona is probably more up to date. Our room had two single beds, which were comfortable, a ceiling fan, a sort of corner cupboard / wardrobe, a small en suite shower room / toilet, and a balcony with a lovely view of the cala on which the two buildings are situated. The room also had a small TV but we never switced it on so don't know if it worked or not. Like the rest of the buildings, maintenace was badly needed, the doors and window frames were shot to pieces, and we felt that had there been a strong wind they would probably fall in. The furniture was tired, the curtains had long since seen better days, and the decorations were grubby. In the bathroom the shower stall was so small that if you dropped the soap you would not have room to bend over to pick it up. On the plus side, the room and en suite were cleaned every day, and the floors were gleaming. The towels (all worn and in need of replacement) were changed daily, bedlinen was changed twice in the ten days we were there.

Breakfast was over at the Mar Blava. Breakfast was basic (but OK for the price) however navigating round the dining room was a nightmare, because there is an open sided tent with poles in the middle of it, and this tent is directly over the buffet for breakfast. Why? Who knows. This means that when you have got your coffee, cheese, cereal, whatever, you have to edge around the tent poles to get away from the buffet and get to a seat. There is just too much furniture in there. Sitting on the terrace eating breakfast looking out to sea is worth plenty though, and with some serious investment and rebuilding the place could be lovely.

The Mar Blava has steps that lead down to a concrete platform, from which you can swim. Unfortunately the concrete platform is like a large ashtray, covered in cigarette ends, and there is nowhere to shelter from the sun unless you bring an umbrella. Be careful on the metal ladder getting into and out of the sea - it is lethally slippery, and I nearly broke my leg getting out. The water is deep enough to dive in, so you just run the risk from the steps when getting out. And the water was so lovely after the heat..... There is a swimming pool, which looked clean, although we never used it. Some of the 'rustic wooden furniture' around the pool is fit only for firewood, falling apart and has rusty nails sticking out all over, so is dangerous. One evening whilst we sat on our balcony a big lump (about half metre long) of concrete render fell off the upper facade of the Mar Blava, some of it onto the pool area below. Had there been anyone sitting below it would certainly have hurt them badly. The render was repaired the same evening - but that is the whole story about the place, it needs lots of money spending on it, and its held together with patches of plaster, cement, duck tape, and filler....

The situation is ideal - in 10 minutes you can walk to Born Square in the centre of Cuitadella, and the 65 & 64 buses stop at the end of the road so you can be in Santandria or Cala n Bosch is less than 20 minutes. There is a hipermercado 10 minutes walk away. The people that own it were quite friendly and helpful, and the host is widely travelled and knowledgeable. I would not stay here again unless we knew it had been upgraded / rebuilt, but the saying is true - you certainly do get what you pay for so at £47 per night B&B, in peak season, we do not feel hard done by

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Waterlooville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

We stayed at the Cala Bona for 1 week. The hotel is small and unpretentious, very clean, in a fab location and very friendly.

Cala Bona is set on an inlet, you can dive off the rocks just outside the terrace or walk 2 minutes to the beach. A lovely little beach, not at all crowded, gently shelving into clear, warm water. Great for snorkelling, swimming or just floating around.

Just above the beach is a fab little bar called Mogambo. Jose-Maria will look after you and if you are lucky sing spanish songs accompanied by his guitar.

Just a 10 minute walk takes you to the centre of Cuitadella with lovely architecture, cobbled narrow streets and a great harbour full to the brim with luxury yachts.

Excellent food although quite expensive.

We took a bus trip from the square in Cuitadella (1.45 euros) to Cala Blanca, a lovely beach with a few restaurants. But give Cala n Forcat and Cala Blanes a miss, unless you are craving Tetleys beer and egg and chips.

Would we go again? Most definitely.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The small room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Cala Bona & Mar Blava Hotels? Share your experiences!