“Good position....and it might be' very nice, but...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Ritzi

You added Hostal Ritzi to your Saves list
Hostal Ritzi
Apuntadors 6, Palma de Mallorca, Majorca, Spain (La Llotja-Born)   |
“Good position....and it might be' very nice, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

The location of this hostel is very good, central, in a small and lovely street. The building is also sharming, old but with its personality. We found it too expensive, as we paid 70€ p/n for a double room with bath, on the second floor without lift to carry the bags. No air conditioning, very very old forniture in the room, bad smell in the bathroom. Breakfast included, but they just offer tea or coffe, and then a croissont and One pièce of bread with butter and jam.
I might be' a good place if they renovate and clean it

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We two 'mature' people in our 50's stayed at Hostal Ritzi on three separate occasions over a two-week period as we explored the island and walked the Serra de Tramuntana from es Capdella to Pollença. We are confident, often fussy, travellers used to all manner of accommodation. It gave us a good base and did, as others have said, exactly 'what it said on the tin'.

In a lively district of Palma Hostal Ritzi offers down-to-earth accommodation serving travellers from all over the world and lots of yacht-crew types from the harbour. It is a large, old Spanish town-house that like so many others in Palma could do with a lot more investment and attention - although it would then no longer serve the traveller on a budget.

The friendly atmosphere was immediately apparent as we spent a short time waiting to register while Liza the manager was on the phone to a mum in the UK reassuring them of the measures they would take to care for the mum's offspring when she arrived. Time and again we saw staff sorting problems, storing luggage, researching buses, car-hire and banking for other guests, particularly new, young travellers on their first foray into independent travel. It is particularly popular with young female travellers who appear to feel completely at ease. It is obvious that the hosts actually care about people and we would have no hesitation in recommending the hostal to young travellers including our own children.

The road outside is busy and noisy with people sightseeing and having fun but hey that's what Mallorca, particularly Palma, can be about. Accommodation is simple and clean but it is also cheap. Several people complain that the free and fully open WiFi is only available in the public-areas and that this is a 'problem' - get a life.

Room Tip: Light sleepers should avoid street-side rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Its what it says on the tin. Its a fair price for a clean room and a nice breakfast. I lived in Palma for ages and this place is right in the perfect place for Palma town. Literally three minutes walk to sea, two mins to cathedral, two mins to main shopping. Right by all the little bars and restaurants and stuff and the maritimo with all cafe's and stuff. Really nice for lunch and dinner whilst overlooking the sea.
Wi fi always works well in main rooms but they get annoyed if you are so doped out you fall asleep with your face resting in your Alpen at breakfast. They didn't like that.
Apart from this I would say it is good if you are on a budget, as I was at that point. The staff are really helpfull also for everything. They do a really great breakfast in bed if you ask for it. They bring you all manner of fresh fruit, juices, breads and cereals. Its really good. Sausage, bacon, waffles. And they bring it to your room and lay it out on your balcony. Its really nice to have your breakfast watching the sun come up over the old town of Palma. The breakfast room is a little small so I take my breakfast on my balcony and would suggest you do the same. As I mentioned, they don't put up with any idiocyncratic shinanigans in the breakfast room.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Erwin, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I stayed in the Hostal the early part of June as part of a trip around Europe with my teenage daughter. I must say, it was the most homely and welcoming of all the places we stayed. We really felt part of the whole Spanish thing and we got some great tips on what to do and where to eat.thanks guys

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Lancashire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

It w as some years ago that I stayed at the Ritzi in Apuntadors. The English lady and an American gent were the hosts then and charming they were too. It is set around a lovely court yard and has an old Med feel.The area is very close to the beautiful harbour and Cathedral. Beautiful restaurants and cafes are very close together with unusual bars and night life.I liked it very much and have fond memories of the Ritzi, its location, charm and hospitality.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

We stayed in Hostal Ritzi from the 2nd till the 5th of May and I have to say I found the latest review of the place a little unfair.Ok its not 5 star but for 60 euros per night we were not expecting that.We found the location to be perfect and the staff very helpful,by the way Leon( the cook ) makes amazing kebabs.Its was clean enough for us and having stayed in many hostals I would say it was one of the best.On the downside the street outside can be rather noisy before midnight so maybe try to get one of the quieter rooms...hope this helps somebody

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

We paid 60Euro a night for a double room and I wish we saw the review here that said we should just book into the place next door.

Drab miserable, place the only thing good is the nice english lady who runs the place and the location.

Id like to say that I am far from a clean freak/germophobe but this place really freaked me out. I imagined this place to be a brothel at one time-it is close to the 3 sailors bars so i was worried about the all sorts of things I could catch from the dirty looking bedding and linen. Me and my friend shared a double bed as it was a last minute booking - and it being a double bed scared me even more with regards to what had happened in this room previously. I refused to use the blanket and slept on my towel as well as wrapping a towel around the pillow.

It is not even worth the amount of money you are paying.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends