Well, we approached our stay in Palma with some trepidation after reading some of the reviews. We normally holiday in the U.S. but ill health has meant that we had decided to stay closer to home once recovered. The difficulty was the sheer number of available hotels in the city, all with very variable reviews. In the end, my wife chose the Tryp Bellver.
When I started to look at some of the reviews, my heart started to sag! Poor service, lousy food, beligerent staff, awful stench of raw sewerage in the lobby and rooms, thin walls, noisy neighbours etc.etc. Seemed like a recipe for the TV of Holidays from Hell.
Well, surprise surprise. None of that was our experience.
The clerk on registering noted that it was my birthday on the day of our arrival, from my passport and wished me Happy Birthday. We went ot our room  which overlooked the harbour with excellent views of the city and marina and a superb balcony. The room was large, impeccably clean, well furnished, with a super kingsize bed, well laid out and with a fabulous bathroom. The only negative was the shower gel was empty, but was replaced by service first thing in the morning.
On our return from a brief walk along the marina at 5 in the afternoon, we found a bucket of iced Champagne and a note from the hotel wishing me Happy Birthday. Excellent.
The food in the restaurant for breakfast was brilliant. Although little changed from day to day, the huge range available was very impressive and we ate more than enough to see us through most of the day. We did not eat in the restaurant in the evenings. The menu, whilst good, was a little limited, certainly for me as non meat eater, so we chose some of the huge number of local alternatives.
We must stress, at no time did we experience any of the negatives previously reported, especially the smell of sewerage. However, we noted that this comment was made about several other hotels in Palma, usually in mid summer, and may be indicative of the city as opposed to the hotel!
The staff were brilliant. Kind, cheery [with one exception] and very helpful. The barman on several evenings reminded me of the EMH [Emergency Medical Hologram character in Star Trek Voyager] - which brought a smile to my face every time].
In conclusion, an excellent stay in a very good hotel with nothing major to complain about. If anything can be said of a negative nature, where the internal decor of the main hotel is good and certainly our room appears to be one of the many that have been recently and very successfully remodelled, the exterior is in need of repainting - truly a massive job and therefore expensive but essential in the next 6 - 9 months I suggest.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The TRYP Palma Bellver is located in the heart of the Paseo Maritimo seafront promenade and overlooks the Bay of Palma de Mallorca. Its strategic location in the heart of the city, its personalised service, and its excellent facilities make it the ideal choice for your stay in Mallorca. Near the hotel guests can visit the city's main attractions, such as the Cathedral, the Es Baluard museum of contemporary art, the historic Bellver Castle, as well as the city's main entertainment areas. TRYP Palma Bellver offers you the chance to discover the city's daytime and evening activities thanks to a location opposite the marina and just a few minutes walk from the trendy bars and restaurants and the major shopping areas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Melia, Despegar.com and Agoda so you can book your TRYP Palma Bellver Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tryp Bellver Hotel Palma De Mallorca
- Tryp Palma De Mallorca
- Tryp Hotel Bellver
- TRYP Palma Bellver Hotel Palma De Mallorca, Majorca