“No complaints” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Save Saved
You added Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carrer Raixa, 2 | Urbanización Son Vida, 07013 Palma de Mallorca, Majorca, Spain   |
Ranked #3 of 64 hotels in Palma de Mallorca
norfolk
“No complaints”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We went to this hotel as part of our visit to Mallorca for a wedding. We stayed at Son Julia and this was the second part of our holiday.

My pre - holiday concerns were more about Son Julia and less about Castillo Son Vida, but I have to say, I would have preferrred to stay at Son Julia compared to Castillo.

So why?

It's a big decision when you have kids, to avoid the beach front hotels. I had stumbled across this hotel many times when reading reviews of good hotels and at last we had an opportunity to stay.

In broad terms I cannot complain, however compared to other luxury hotels I have stayed at and paid for, I would honestly say I would not go again out of choice.

We booked a family suite. There was a bedroom, sitting room, small kitchen and bathroom. It was clean and very tasteful, lots of room for the 3 of us.

However, it just lacked being part of something. The guys on arrival took my credit card details and passport, it was very mechanical, I did not feel welcomed. Even though they gave me us a drink on arrival, we were expected to stand at the desk with other residents, and I guess "Down our drinks."

The pool is okay, not sufficient for the number of beds, and the beds are all but touching (doesn't do it for us). Service was trying, there were staff about but too intermittant to service your needs and no pool bar.

There are 2 tennis courts, they are a little run down but useable.

Breakfast provided a good selection of food but it was busy.

The gym was well equipped but hot, however this is the case for most hotels abroad.

As for the immediate surroundings, we went running a couple of evenings and there was nothing around.

I have no reason to complain about this hotel but I just didn't enjoy it. I would not want to go back which must say a lot.

We were not on any deal, however if you were to get this hotel at a discount then go for it, otherwise you could probably do better for your money somewhere else!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ODCGM, General Manager at Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Caroline M,

thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay - I am a little at a loss as to what exactly caused your dissatisfaction, but rest assured that we will review your comments in regards to check in and the pool with the respective heads of department.

I very much hope that you might give us another opportuniy on your next visit to Mallorca, please do feel free to contact me directly so that I may assure you of my personal attention.

456 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Pett, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Had a short weekend break last october at this lovely hotel.
Great weather,excellent location with fantastic views over Palma bay and like many other travellers we enjoyed breakfast and drinks on the terrace.
Found staff, room and everything about this hotel perfect and will go back in the very near future and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone considering a trip to Palma.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Nickguest1,

thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us here at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time here and that you are plannig to return - we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My wife and I spent 4 days/three nights at Castillo at the end of a nice trip through Basque country(France and Spain) and Madrid, on August 23, 2013. Perfect relaxation prior to coming back home. Excellent location, fabulous terrace with gorgeous views of the Palma bay, for breakfast, lunch, dinner or simply drinks after a nice golfing day or pool day. The staff is very attentive, courteous and helpful. We had a car and we valued the free valet parking service, very prompt.

One item the hotel should take care of is complimentary coffee/tea in the room. Either the coffee/tea maker or offering at least one daily complimentary coffee/tea for the room guests, as in other starwood hotels, particularly for SPG members.

Otherwise would highly recommend the hotel and the magnificent property.

Room Tip: choose a room with a balcony if you cannot et a room with the view of the Palma bay
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ODCGM, General Manager at Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Emes180,

It is great to see that you had an enjoyable stay, making it a nice and relaxing end to your Spain trip. I very much hope that this will not be you last visit to Mallorca and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Manitoba
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Very nice place! Staff was very helpful and nice, and the pool was perfect. It's a ways into town but the bus was easy to navigate so it was a lot less expensive then taking a cab. The only bad thing I can say was on the 8th floor where our room was in the hallway there was a horrible smell that actually almost made me sick to my stomach one morning after breakfast. It was so bad that I refused to go back up after breakfast the rest of the week. I just made sure that I was ready for the day so I wouldn't have to endure the smell. I'm not sure what it was but maybe they have had it looked after since we were there.

Room Tip: Not on the 8th floor!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ODCGM, General Manager at Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Tripgirl76,

thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel and the service provided by our associates during your stay with us.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused by a technical problem with the canalisation system in the local area, this was quickly rectified and fixed.

We hope to be able to welcome you back at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida sometime in the future.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The Castillo Hotel is beautifully situated on a mountain side above Palma De Mallorca and give beautiful view of the port. The building itself has a historic charm with intricate details and grand staircases. The breakfast buffet was very delicious and seating on the patio was always nice. The pool is large and was not over run with children or loud adolescence. The terrace was always cool and breezy in the evening with the bar serving Sangria. The beds were very comfy with separate blankets so you don’t disturb your spouse/bunk mate. I was not impressed with the bar food and the prices compared to town (Palma) were extremely high. I would suggest going to the market and stocking up on sandwich supplies, beer and wine for your room. Overall it was a great experience.

Room Tip: We liked the old part of the hotel with the tower as a view on our balcony.
Dear Skiibunnie,

thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us here at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

It was good to read that you had an enjoyable time here at the hotel - should your travels ever bring you back to Mallorca we would be delighted to be your hosts again.

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband & I spent 5 nights at the Castillo Son Vida on the 15th August and had a wonderful time. Even though this was peak holiday time & the hotel was busy it never felt crowded or noisy, the public areas were very peaceful and we were able to pick a space at the pool ( though there were hints of towels being on the beds at first light!).
Breakfast is very good but I can't comment on dinner as we ventured out in the evenings.
A special mention has to go to Tomas who could not do enough for you!
We will definitely return, hopefully soon.

Dear Alex1461,

thank you for sharing your positive feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us here at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

It is great to see that you managed to relax during your holiday with us and that you enjoyed the service provided by our associates. I will be delighted to share your comments with Tomas.

We look forward to welcoming you back on our island very soon.

Laconia, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Great hotel, very beautiful area. Somewhat far from the major party hubs. The rooms could be nicer for the price, but hey it is a castle. Service was decent, albeit a bit lax at first.

Awesome pool, fantastic views.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear BWilson21b,

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us - apologies for the service issues at the beginning of your stay, I am glad we improved rapidly.

We hope to see you back on your next visit to Mallorca.

Oscar del Campo

Been to Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!