“First Rate Very Picturesque” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel

You added Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carrer Raixa, 2 | Urbanización Son Vida, 07013 Palma de Mallorca, Majorca, Spain   |
Ranked #3 of 66 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“First Rate Very Picturesque”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

To sum up a great hotel but a little pricy.

We stayed for four days is his hotel and loved every minute, yes it is outside the town but as every commentary refers to this it should be no surprise. About €10 a go but food and drink in the town is about 1/2 price of the hotel so it depends on what you want to do. Overall the food in the hotel is really tasty and breakfasts, lunches by the pool and dinner in the bar were great. We had the calamari, the Indian chicken wrap, the hamburger, the caprese a salad, the bolognese, the peppers and the Caesar salad. All were excellent although the sauce in the Caesar salad was a little runny. Breakfasts pretty much covers all the pastries, cereals, hot and cold foods that you find at a hotel of this quality, plus cava, pancakes and fresh omelettes. The orange juice was excellent.

We did not visit the main restaurant or two reasons, firstly €50 each for buffet when neither of us are big eaters seemed steep and I was not wearing trousers. Not a problem as we could go to the bar and have dinner and drinks for less money.

The pool area is very relaxed with service from the bar. It overlooks the golf course and the town of Palma with views that will please most. The main bar is up two floors with a similar view but you can spend a couple of hours watching the sunset and enjoying a cocktail.

The room (723) was not huge but had a balcony, enough room round the bed plus a TV so we could watch Murray progress through Wimbledon. The bathroom had a bath and separate shower with the worse door design (water pouring through the door due to the 2cm gap at the bottom). The only real complaint was the noise of the A/C on the last day which sounded over used. Overall a real nice room but not huge that was serviced well.

We found the front desk very helpful and full of enthusiasm. They really helped us find some good restaurants to eat at in Palma.

This is placed in the middle of the golf courses and so would be good be golfers but it also works as a relaxing place to stay for a few days and is a short cab ride to Palma. We really loved it and although I did not think the food was as good as the restaurants we ate in Palma, it was very good and we had no complaints. We really loved it and would happily stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ODCGM, General Manager at Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Wiildsnoopster,

thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

You really loved it and would happily stay here again - what more could we hope for, thank you for these encouraging words.

Please accept my apologies for the maintenance issues you experienced in the bathroom, I very much hope that our engineering department was able to quickly fix the problems.

We look forward to welcoming you back at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida on your next visit to Mallorca.

Oscar del Campo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My family, 2 adults/2 teens just returned from staying at Castillo and we had a great experience throughout our time in Mallorca. People considering this hotel may want to keep in mind that the property is more suited toward a golfing and total relaxation-not leave the property kind of stay. We were back and forth to Palma and the beach and the kids went out at night and the taxi fares add up big time. I feel as though the hotel would do really well by having a shuttle with predetermined pick up sites and times to different locations. Also, despite the wonderful restaurant, bell and housekeeping staff I have to give the front desk a low grade. They were nice but frustratingly incompetent. Check-in was like a version of the Keystone Cops. Didn't help that I was ticked that we couldn't get either of our two rooms until 4:45pm. Not great when you've been traveling all day. No excuse in my view. All in all a nice place and I'd go back for a golfing excursion.

Room Tip: Stay in the old part of the building.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Scott JD,

thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

It is great to learn that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and your time on this wonderful island. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced upon check in, rest assured that we have taken your feedback very seriously.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Mallorca.

Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

This is my 4th visit to Castillo. Initially came for my husbands 30th birthday which has now turned into a few days break each year with my mum. We absolutely adore this hotel; it's difficult to fault. Each and every aspect is first class and immaculate. The service is exceptional; poolside views are breath taking and it's just such a luxurious treat to experience. There really isn't a bad room and we have stayed in various different areas of the hotel. The staff are professional and nothing is ever too much trouble. The breakfast buffet is delicious with so much varied choice leaving you full and satisfied until the evening.
We have been lucky enough to be able to return year after year and find that Expedia do really good value package offers which include the flights.
Would definitely recommend! Adults only type of place though; I would not bring children here.
Hopefully we will be able to return next year.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Sarah H,

thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor following you recent stay at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

We look forward to welcoming you back for many years to come!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The hotel is impressive from the beginning with grand entrance and castle facade.
Service greets you in a way that takes some time getting used to:
You do not touch your own bags, they do. No request is balked at or questioned, rather carried out quickly. You do not go get anything, they bring it to you.

The views and atmosphere from the outdoor "Balcony on Mallorca" would please even the most jaded aristocrat. A large area with plenty of room and privacy with stunning views and calm atmosphere. Great place for a drink and a stroll.

Much has been said already here that is accurate about the hotel so I will cut to some tips and things I found on my stay:

We were there in early June. We found the hotel to be rather sparsely occupied by guests. There was plenty of room at the pool, dining rooms, fitness center etc.
The pool did not seem "small" to me, as has been commented here.
I could however see it getting crowded should August crowds descend on the hotel.

The fitness center, indoor pool area and hot tub is super-clean. I happened to be there when an inspection was being performed.. it was exhaustive reinforced my belief that the area is very clean.

The indoor pool is cleaned via salt water, which means no harsh chlorine chemicals. This pool is also very warm as it is heated by daytime sun through the glass enclosure of the sun room.

The jacuzzi / hot tub is actually hot!
Seems like an obvious thing, but in my experiences in hotels around the world, it is not.

Rooms facing the bay and city of Palma definitely have the best views.
Rooms facing the golf course seem to be slightly larger than those facing the mountain, at least on the 7th floor.

The standard room was just fine for two, no need for us to upgrade to a deluxe or better.
The balcony is spacious enough for a few to sit out here. We even had dinner on the balcony one night.

Breakfasts were excellent, but dinners were lack luster.
Nothing that a quick cab ride to Palma can't fix, but, with a place this beautiful and service this good, people should be coming to the hotel to eat dinner, rather then guests leaving to eat.
Fortunately this is fixable and hopefully Son Vida will at some point.

Concierge helped us manage receipt and delivery of rental car in our absence which was very handy.

Checkout was clear and presented no "gotchas" An errant charge was quickly rectified.

People may comment about the high cost, but, you get what you pay for.
And in terms of quality and value, I actually think this is a bargain.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing bay and city of Palma have the best views by far. Make sure you get a balcony.
Dear Hiredweapon_tom,

thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

I was delighted to read your review and to learn that you enjoyed your time with us. Offering our guests outstanding service and making their stay as comfortable as possible is just as important to us as guaranteeing their well-being and safety - which is why all Starwood properties undergo regular Health & Safety inspections. I am glad to hear that you appreciated one of these very thorough inspections during your stay.

Please do send me some more details about your experience in our restaurant to allow us to improve our offering in order to meet your expectations on your next visit.

Thank you once more for your encouragement, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This large hotel is well run and situated on the hills overlooking Palma, which is a ten minute taxi drive away. The grounds are lovely and well manicured. The hotel has a subdued atmosphere and is good for local golf courses.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ODCGM, General Manager at Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Peter M,

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your holiday with us - and we are indeed just a short drive away from the center of Palma and surrounded by 3 golf courses, the perfect location for any golf enthusiast.

We hope to see you back soon on our wonderful island.

Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This hotel is stunning. The view over the bay of Palma was brilliant. It was a 20 euro cab ride from the airport and great to be out of the congestion of Palma. I was really happy with the service and food, breakfast had a great variety.

The wi fi was great and had a suite with balcony view. The pool was well cared for and gym was small but ok. Very relaxing time high up in the hills!

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

First of all before I start this review, I wish to thank Arania The lovley German receptionist, and the kind Alexandre also on Reception, You are a credit to SPG and Son Vida, and made my stay along with my wife just perfect.

I have come to Palma for the last 10 years, and really don't know why I have never stayed at this particular hotel, maybe it was the fact that I always wanted to be near the port, or within walking distance to the marina and shops. How wrong was I !!!
it's only an 8 min taxi from palma, and the shops will always be there.

From the start this Hotel impresses, from the winding drive up through the hills of the exclusive neighbourhood of "Son Vida" then the marvelous pristine Golf courses, and then it hits you,
THE VIEW.
Once through the gates and past the beautiful Castle entrance, the striking features of this building are breathtaking. you feel like you have arrived at a Royal palace, but with less pomp and more of a luxurious Country feel. The Concierge are there to meet you as soon as you make eye contact from within your mode of transport. Once through the door, the inside of this 13th century marvel is breathtaking, never have I been to a place, where I feel more like
Henry the VIII than Plain old me.

The check in staff are great, attentitive, kind and cater for your every need, whilst not in your face. Anything you need, its there for you.

To sum up this place the rooms are spacious and grand, with beautiful furniture from the 1800-1900's era, the staff were friendly and kind, which is rare these days.

The Food was excellent, although its not cheap, its authentic, and majorcan, or International as you like, whilst we stayed the resident Head Chef Caty performed a taster menu from her collection midweek, with unlimited Rioja and White or rose, for just 35 euros per person. Please tell me any 5 star hotel that offers that, and yes it was Amazing, and a great start to our holiday. Breakfast is great, 2 rooms of pure joy, A cold buffet for the International Set, and a hot room for those British and Amercians Amoungst us.
Carlos the Breakfast chef will cook you anything, and I can recommed the square omlettes, which are scrumptious,and if you fancy some vintage cava, it;s just across the room.

To sum up well worth the investment !!

I have worked in travel Industry for over 17 years, with various travel operations and Hotels I have provided in depth reports for both Conde-Neste and the travel channel. I can honestly say that this a really well-run hotel that prides itself in customer satisfaction and keeping the client close to its heart.

If you go to Majorca, and it's Palma you Visit, there is no other Hotel that comes close, Castillio Son Vida blows everything else out the water.

I have over 200 photos of this hotel, for the travellers section, I am happy to provide anyone who requests these via my mailbox.

My Reviews are honest and not biased, as you will see from my Paris experience. I only report the truth to my standards, and they are very high....

Room Tip: 7th floor in the corner or within that floor in the middle overlooking the bay of Palma, its just in...
Dear Thelastrealtraveller,

We were certainly blown away by your review - and particularly proud of our associates, who contribute most to making our guests feel welcome.

Thank you again for the great feedback - I very much hope that we will be able to welcome you back very soon.

Oscar del Campo

Been to Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!