“Lovely stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Palas Atenea

Save Saved
You added Melia Palas Atenea to your Saves list
Melia Palas Atenea
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avinguda de Gabriel Roca, 29, 07014 Palma de Mallorca, Majorca, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #31 of 64 hotels in Palma de Mallorca
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

After getting the number 1 bus from the airport which was so easy we got off at the auditorium stop and we walked for 3 mins and the Hotel was easily located on the main road. Its a 60s hotel so not the most pleasing of facades but inside the hotel is smartly decorated in a modern style. Our room was also modern and smart although a little smaller than we expected but still perfectly acceptable. We paid the extra for a sea view which is a must and really enjoyed sitting on the balcony with a glass of cava before venturing out for the evening.

Unlike other reviews we had no difficulty getting a sun bed and really enjoyed our time by the pool. Like other reviewers we really were amazed at the breakfast. We had it one day and paid the full 20 euros each and it was totally worth it. I couldn't manage it everyday as I would have had chocolate cake and cava every time!

Don't bother with the Tapas in the old town every thing we had was ready made and out of a freezer. The best Tapas in Palma is the hotel Restaurant. The food is excellent we had it 2 evenings and would of had it more if we stayed longer.

The staff were lovely and even when our toilet broke they quickly resolved the issue. A lovely hotel, food and staff can't recommend it enough!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear 141xx,

First of all, we would like to thank you most sincerely for your kind words and for having taken some of your valuable time in writing to us. We work very hard in order to achieve maximum guests satisfaction.

We are glad to have exceeded your expectations and look forward to welcoming you at our hotel. I would like to thank you for recommending Meliá Palas Atenea.

We appreciate your possitive comments about our staff. We will pass your kind words. Our staff Works hard to give a high quality service to customers.

Many of our guests value very possitive the Tapas that we have in our Blue Lounge Bar.
We are very glad that you enjoyed the Breakfast Buffet. We have a wide variety of products in the Diana Restaurant and our staff works hard to give a high quality service to customers.

662 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Nice hotel with really delightful, very accommodating, staff. Several nice large communal area with lots of comfortable and quiet areas to sit. I stayed for 12 days, end of Aug to early Sept.

Glad to have had a grand premium room with sea view, on the top floor. Super room with good sofa, TV and V comfortable bed. Nice balcony but with spartan furniture, unlike the interior which was well appointed and kept well cleaned.

Really nice breakfast with everything you could imagine eating and drinking, + a bit more. Cheapest way to get breakfast is to book room only, then buy on arrival @ half price.

Evening meal, mainly buffet, has huge variety but tends to get a bit past it's best after 8pm and feels repetitive if you're there a while. I'd give it a miss another time.

Good office facilities available with kind staff to help sort out the equipment.

Good spa but charged, (15euros for guests for approx 1-2 hours and I'm not sure I want to pay given the hotel costs) offering good quality treatments at the kind of prices you'd expect when in a good hotel. Nice looking pool with insufficient pool area, and competitive lounger hoarding. Not that I wanted to be there, but I observed from the balcony. Sad that people behave so badly really.

Fantastic views across Palma bay to the Cathedral, the yachts opposite the hotel are opulent and make a nice view. Well, they need to be useful for something. Quite a walk to the centre in very high temperatures with very little daytime shade, although doable. The hotel is V close to frequent buses to the centre of the city, 15 mins away. Palma is a really nice place. Lots to see, lots to do, and it caters for many tastes. Palma local buses are 1.5euros anywhere, except the airport, and a book of 10 costs 10euros.

Close to the hotel there are lots of fast buses to the South West coastal resorts. Although having bussed to a couple, I'm not sure why anyone would want to go there. Useful info on where never to go on holiday though, the East coast is much nicer. The train to Soller is a worthwhile journey, and the port is delightful.

On another occasion, and I will go to Palma again, I'd probably stay in the centre of the city. Not because the is anything wrong with the hotel, it's very nice, but it has facilities that I don't really use, I just thought I'd like to have them. I'd probably prefer to have the city on my doorstep, although I would miss the view and the things that the hotel does rather well.

The only slight whinges are the constant musak, everywhere, Why? Some 'not too good, but not too intrusive', entertainment and aircon that doesn't have variable settings.

Room Tip: Worth taking a grand premium room with sea view on a high floor, especially with numbers ..18 to ..2...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Just come back from a lovely stay at this hotel- (unfortunately my room was nothing like the professional picture on here but an 80s throwback) the breakfast is one of the best Ive ever had and with such a good selection of cheese, meat, bread and cakes, swimming pool area is beautiful with an amazing view, the reception area's décor is fantastic and makes for some great photo opportunities but please be careful what room you get. I was in room 217, my parents in 212 and although to my left was a lovely sea view, to my right was a fabulously authentic panoramic view of local drug dealers, prostitutes and other social deviants. My parents were enjoying a drink on their balcony which was spoilt by the view of one 'working girl' consuming suspicious white powder. Not exactly the view you want to have on holiday. Worryingly, the balcony doors' locks were broken (both rooms) and at 4am every morning I was woken up by screams. Please, do not put a girl on her own in a room with a low floor by the local criminals, especially when they have asked for a high floor. Apart from this, the hotel is faultless.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear VindalooQueen11,

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write to us and for your observations and interest. The comments and suggestions that we receive from our guests are invaluable in that they allow us to identify and focus our attention on those aspects of our operations that require special attention.

About the room typology, as you will note in our website, we have differents rooms. Our guests can choose between Classic room, Premium room, Grand Premium sea view room, Junior Suite room, family room etc, each of which has differents description and differents photos.

Thank you for recommending Meliá Palas Atenea.

cardiff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was our second stay at the Melia, and once again we had a wonderful time.From the minute we arrived, the superb reception team,especially Santiago,made us feel at home.Although Melia club members,we paid the extra to havea sea view room.The view from the balcony was worth every penny.The breakfast buffet is one of the best that I have encountered.My only negative comment concerns the bar in the lobby.Whoever designed it forgot to consider customers and their comfort.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear huwlloyd,

I greatly appreciate you having taken some of your valuable time to send us your comments. We work very hard in order to achieve maximum guests satisfaction.

We also would like to thank you for having chosen Meliá Palas Atenea hotel in which to spend your holidays and that you enjoyed your stay here.

We are glad that you emjoyed a sea view room. The views are amazing.

We will pass your comments to the staff.

Thank you for recommend Meliá Palas Atenea Hotel.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Spent 4 days here in August ,had a great room refurbished over looking the marina surperb views of the catherdral at night, Good location excellent service .

This accommodation was booked by a travel agent for us and we were happy with her choice.

Nice pool and theme night dinner and show.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors facing the marina.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear bezza2013,

We hope that we were able to meet your expectations and look forward to welcoming you at our hotel. We are pleased that you was pleasantly surprised by the Hotel.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed a refurbished room with amazing sea views.

Hoping we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again at our hotel in the future.

Guest Experience Manager- Meliá Palas Atenea
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We were at the hotel for 6 nights in late August. We booked the upgrade Premium room way back in February. We asked for a high floor with a view of the cathedral, as we had read the other reviews for tips. When we got there we were taken to a room at the opposite end of the hotel with a view of the marina. We were told that this was a quieter option. When we asked to be put on the other end of the hotel with the requested view we were told there was a surcharge as this was an "Grand Premium" room.... not a Premium. So we actually required a double-upgrade. The staff was nice about the switch but of course they did charge us an extra €100. (I should mention that we booked thru the main Melia number and not the hotel, so maybe that's why there was confusion about the room request/cost.)
The hotel entrance is nice enough with good A/C but the decor is kind of all over the place. The room itself shows a lot of wear. The room A/C was adequate but not great. The sliding glass door wouldn't completely shut so I don't think it could cool properly. There was a distinct odor in the washroom which wasn't very pleasant and the bathroom is dark.
At night you can hear the wind whistling through the windows which didn't help at 6 AM when the nightclubs emptied out. The drunk kids are pretty loud.
I believe the bacteria in the pool caused both my wife and I to get sick. The day after we swam for the first time my wife got an eye infection. We then both developed a cough and sore throat which we still have as of this writing (Sept 10th). Maybe it was a coincidence but we were in Barcelona the previous 8 days incident-free.
This as a two star review, however, the breakfast had an extraordinary variety so that could potentially bump the experience up to three stars.
Overall we were disappointed with the overall hotel experience, but happy with the staff.

Room Tip: Get a high floor in the corner overlooking the marina and cathedral. Ask for the Grand Premium room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mark_in_Toronto,

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write to us and for your observations and interest. We listen carefully to the comments and suggestions of our customers, that we will be able to achieve the constant improvement. I do apologize if your stay were not as you expected.

I regret if you and your wife fell ill during your stay in Palma but I can assure you that the pool water complies with current applicable regulations and with our standards.

We appreciate your kinds words about our Breakfast. Many of our guests are agree with you about the breakfast service. We have a wide variety of products in the Diana Restaurant and our staff works hard to give a high quality service to customers.

Please be assured that Meliá Palas Atenea will never cease in its efforts to constantly improve the quality of the services provided.

Guest Experience Manager- Meliá Palas Atenea
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I spend the bank holiday weekend in August in this hotel and I can only say what a dissapointment it was.

I booked the hotel based on the pictures and recommendation from other guest regarding the seaview rooms. I contacted the hotel few months prior to make sure that I will get one of the new nice rooms, even nearer the time I rang again to confirm the room and on both occiasions I was toold that this was a ok. But on arrival I was given one of the old rooms overlooking back of the building. The room can only be described out from the 70s.
The bed was very average and the pillows were lumpy and thin. I did find out on my last day a tiny menu for pillows, but you would think that the menu would be somewhere to be seen and not tucked away in a folder. The room also did not have a kettle.

The only plus thing in the room was that the bathroom was clean but the room was also quiet. I was on the 2nd floor.

I was not impressed about swimming pool antics either. There were only handful sun lounger that some people reserved from early on and instead of giving number of people change to have few hours of sunrays the loungers were kept reseved from morning till evening even there were noone on them. I would suggest the hotel managing this better.

One the positive side the sangria at the hotel pool side was one of the best that I have tasted.

I would not recommed staying in this hotel unless you are quaranteed a seaview room and you are planning to wake up a crack of dawn to get a sunlounger!!!

I did not find my stay relaxing and enjoyable

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Traveller1977,

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write to us and for your observations and interest. We listen carefully to the comments and suggestions of our customers,that we will be able to achieve the constant improvement.

Although your recent experience did not completely satisfy the expectations that you had, I would appreciate the opportunity to demonstrate that Meliá Palas Atenea is the ideal Hotel where our guests can relax and enjoy.

We do not have sea view rooms non renovated so it seems that you had booked a classic room. We recommend to our guests that they visit our site to discover the differents tipology of rooms.

Guest Experience Manager - Meliá Palas Atenea

Been to Melia Palas Atenea? Share your experiences!