“Perfect hotel for a short break in palma” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Palas Atenea

Save Saved
You added Melia Palas Atenea to your Saves list
Melia Palas Atenea
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avinguda de Gabriel Roca, 29, 07014 Palma de Mallorca, Majorca, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #33 of 65 hotels in Palma de Mallorca
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Perfect hotel for a short break in palma”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a 5 day break. Booked via the hotel site and got a great deal, I joined their rewards scheme giving a great discount on bed and breakfast. Stayed in room 641, at the rear of the hotel. The room was a little dated but was very generous in size with an up to date and large bathroom. The room had the standard flat screen tv, mini bar and safe. The rooms you see on the web are a little misleading, the plush rooms are those with the sea view. Never the less I don't spend much time in my room so wasn't bothered by a little outdated decoration. The staff are very helpful, the breakfast is outstanding with a massive variety. The pool area is very goid and clean. It's a nice walk of a mile or so into the centre. I'd definitely stay here again and would recommend the hotel. I'd give it 4.5. If up to date decor means a lot then book a sea view room and pay the extra.

• Stayed June 2013
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear David H,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write to us and let us know your satisfaction. We let you know that your opinion is very important for us.

I am delighted to see that you fully enjoyed your stay. Thanks for choosing us for your stay in Palma de Mallorca.

It is a pleasure for us that our guests decide to be part of our loyalty program called Meliá Rewards. This program has interesting advantages.

We are very grateful for your comments about the staff who atended you. We work for you to make you feel like at home.You will find differents rooms tipology in our website. We detail what category is a sea view if you want try it in your next visit.

Thank you for recommending Meliá Palas Atenea.

Hoping we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again at our Hotel in the future.

689 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
North Shields, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 1 week from 20th may, complained of the standard of the room which we where allocated. We were told all the "standard rooms at the back of hotel ( which had views of unused buildings and rubbish dump ) where all you could have unless you paid 33euro surcharge per night,. This put £200 pound on price of holiday., which I donot think this holiday was worth. The room at front of hotel had good views with small balcony. Also found bathroom very small in comparison with other hotels of 4 star quality. Bed was great, but rest of room poor quality.

Room Tip: Don't attempt to stay in any room that's not refurbished, as standard very poor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear sandi 1717,

It is a pleasure for us that our guests decide to choosing us for a long stay as in your case. We work for you to make you feel like at home. We are constantly imrpoving our services.

About your comments we have different room typologies. In our case, the building location make us to have different views. Many of our guests choose the sea views option, in this case it is necesary to pay an extra fee.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel, initially i was very disappointed when we were allocated our room. The room was at the back of the hotel which has not been updated unlike the rooms at the front of the hotel. The furniture was tatty and the decor dull and needed updating. I had booked this holiday as a birthday present for my husband and was very unhappy with the standard of the room. We complained to reception and were told that the back of the hotel had not been renovated. The only choice we were given was to spend an extra 33 Euro's a day to move to a room at the front. This was a nice room with a superb view of the harbour and Cathedral. However the white free standing furniture looked a bit cheap. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel as it was 38euros a day for 2 people which we thought was a rip off. There are plenty of nice places around to get breakfast at a third of the price!
Palma itself is a beautiful city and is about a 30minute walk from the hotel

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear KarenD,

We are renovating our rooms and there are still rooms that have not been renovated. My partner informed you well to told you that it is necesary top pay an extra fee for enjoying a sea view room. Many of our guests choose this option.
I am glad to see that you enjoy a nice views.

Wirral, Merseyside
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We found the staff friendly and helpful. We arrived late and got put in a twin room by mistake but they quickly rectified the situation when we said we'd booked a double. The new room was lovely (812) and the bed very comfortable. Only drawback was a slight 'drains' smell in the loo. We had a room overlooking the side road- with a sunny balcony and side sea view and we could watch the cruise ships come in and out. Breakfast was good and the pool area was nice with great views.
We had a meal in the Tapas bar on the ground floor and it was fantastic, there is also another lovely Tapas bar just a bit further along the road. Beware the Italian nearby, bland overcooked pasta- tourist food. An easy 20 min walk into Palma- we never used a bus or taxi.
I am a very light sleeper but only heard noise from revellers on the Friday night- and it wasn't too bad.
We would return

Room Tip: make sure you face the sea
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear CazzaandMart,

I would like to thank you very much for your comments regarding our staff. We work for you to make you feel like at home.

I am glad you liked the room. We have renovated and very confortable rooms. Also, the sea views are amazing.

About the smell in the room. We will review the room to see what might happened because this situation it is not commun.

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Booked the Melia Palas Atenea on the back of some reasonable TripAdvisor reviews which after staying were an accurate reflection/average of experiences. We had a few issues but nothing that the management were not able to resolve. Our first room (rear facing, no view of note but we had not specified front) had a broken safe which they were not able to fix so were moved to a different but gain rear facing room. The new room had a broken hairdryer which looked a little unsafe but we had brought our own travel unit anyway. A spacious bathroom with bidet but layout meant it was an awkward fit on toilet if tall or wide ;-) A little mould on the tile grout in the shower but not worth moving room, again.

Both the lobby bar and the terrace bar were sociable with good service and served large measures – beware, in a good way!
Excellent buffet breakfast choice but for a large hotel was understaffed to cope on the Friday by waiting staff to clean/prepare tables - not a big issue and was totally different on the Saturday with plenty of staff. Decent coffee.

Would recommend you request front facing room/harbour view to maximise experience if staying for any duration but is of little consequence if, like us, here to experience Palma without being impacted by the ‘burn me now’ beach based sun seekers. We were here to enjoy the city and recommend the 24hr pass hop on/off tour bus to get about the city as driving/parking brings its own adventures. There is a stop across the rod from the hotel. There is another Melia Hotel (Victoria) just along the road (possibly a star higher, so if using a taxi ensure you request the right one!

Room Tip: Ask for harbour view (when booking not once there or may be disappointed) or at least not rear. Refu...
Dear Brooska,

I would like to thank you for your comments about your room change due to the safe box. We are working to prevent this situation in the future.
We apreciate your possitive comments about the Blue Lounge Bar and the terrace. We work hard to make you feel very well.The breakfast buffet is one of the best valued by our guests.

The Hotel is very well connected. At the center, our guests can go for a walk. Also there are bus stop near to the Hotel.

glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Great stay at this hotel for a 3 night break with friends. I won't go into detail about the fantastic reception area or the rooms, as recent previous reviews proved very accurate. I will say however, that although we were in a classic non refurbished room, this did not make any difference to our stay as the room was very spacious, spotless & well equipped. As for the pillows! Sheer bliss after a hard day sightseeing & shopping. We had requested quiet rooms & had no problem sleeping at night. My friend & I both enjoy a 'wee' gin now & again & the sight of the 'Blue Bar' was just fab, a bar dedicated to the gin & tonic lover! The addition of the different herbs, berries & spices is a great idea & jazzes up the sometimes boring g&t. The spa was great & well worth the 15 euro charge. We stayed room only & had no problem finding great places to eat nearby, the German hot dog stand to the left of the hotel entrance was brilliant, I'll never eat another 'British' hot dog again. With the helpful friendly staff at the 'Atenea' we had an excellent holiday & will definately stay here again. Oh! Only downside was the exorbitant charge for telephoning home from your room. Considering how cheap it is to telephone anywhere in the world today, you would have thought the hotel was on the moon! Remember your mobile. All in all, a very pleasant stay & I just need to make one last comment about the lifts, what a great idea to have lifts that can take you directly to your floor without all the hassle of stopping to let other guests off & on. All in all a very pleasant stay & one well worth repeating.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room if you don't want too much noise - Palma is a city! Don't be put off bo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear margaret m,

We hope that we were able to meet your expectations and look forward to welcoming you at our hotel.

I am delighted to see that you fully enjoyed your stay and I would like to thank you very much for your comments regarding our Blue Bar. We work for you to make you feel like at home. Deserve to be mentioned our Blue Lounge cocktails. They are highly valued by our guests. You can enjoy a wide range of drinks.

Also, we always think on your confort. For this reason we have incorporated this system lifts. This system permit you go directly to your room.
We are working to improve our pone calls charge, but now this is what we have.

Verónica Soriano - Guest Experience Manager
somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My daughter and I returned to this hotel for a 3 night break and I have stayed here several times. We love its location and the stunning views of the marina from the bedrooms. They have refurbished the rooms and the foyer and public areas since our stay last August and they are very chic and modern. The beds are still the most comfortable of any hotel I have stayed in, however we were on the 6th floor with a sea view and our balcony and room was smaller that the sea facing room we stayed in last time on the second floor. I have a Melia points card and they no longer offer a buy one get one free breakfast which is a great shame with breakfast being 19euros a time! I was also unable to use my voucher for a free night for my birthday as I was told the hotel was full on booking which actually was not the case when we arrived; maybe it's a sign of the times and it could be wiser to find another hotel for our next return trip.

Room Tip: Book a sea view room it really is worth the extra cost!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear bubblessSomerset,

We are very grateful for your comments about the Hotel location and the views. We are very fortunate for that.

Our loyalty program changed in 2013 and now has other advantages.
I putt he link where you can see the new Meliá Rewards benefits.
(https://es.melia.com/nMas/jsp/C_Ventajas.jsp#)

For this reason we have not the offer of two for one in breakfast but we have other Meliá Rewards benefits.

Guest Experience Manager- Meliá Palas Atenea

Been to Melia Palas Atenea? Share your experiences!