“Squashed into one hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Sol Mirlos/Tordos
Germans Pinzon S/N, 07181, Majorca, Spain   |
Ranked #573 of 1,097 hotels in Majorca
Devon England
“Squashed into one hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We recently returned after a ten night stay at what is supposed to be two hotels together mirlos/tordos, however after a week there they closed off the tordos completely, and that meant everyone kids, adults all ages, were crammed into one hotel This does not work there, it is not big enough. You end up all sat together at night in a small indoor entertainment area along side screaming kids, kids disco, and games etc all at high pitch volume, so no quiet area to go as adults to have a quiet drink. Kids running about chasing one another and likened to butlins holiday camp, not a hotel. Hotel /parents give no guidance and there are no rules. Forget the adults only pool, kids even in that! so adults if you want a nice time do not go to this hotel far too noisy. Also we had enjoyed the food the first week, however a marked deteriation of quality and choice, and a lot of recycling lunch-time food to evening after the first week, which isn't fair

Room Tip: Only two small lifts so choose a low floor where possible or it will be a long wait
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

95 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
Pickering, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This hotel was everything we were looking for on our holiday to Majorca; Friendly, Good food, Clean & Close to the Beach! There was entertainment & shows on every night, the animation team were excellent! Spinning, rifle shooting & archery were on for adults everyday plus water polo and other games. We chose this hotel knowing it was a family hotel but didn't quite expect so many kids when we went in June out of the school holidays (not that it was any problem to me or my boyfriend). There was plenty to do nearby, the beaches are lovely! We went to the waterpark 1 day, there is a free bus that takes you there which you can catch outside the next hotel up the road. It is only a 10/15 minute walk from the hotel to Magaluf, my boyfriend and I being in our early/mid 20s had to head down for a nosey 1 night! I would highly recomend going to the Pirates show, the dancers and performers are fab! We picked the cheap seats, you can pretty much get a decent view from any seat! We were on the 5th floor and used the stairs, mostly due to ques with pushchairs for the lifts.The bar staff at the Hotel were also nice n friendly. We would absolutely definitely visit this hotel again! :)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Wallasey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We have just returned from 3 week at the Mirlos/Tordos (staying in the Tordos). We usually go to Cyprus but it is getting dearer and dearer so hubby suggested Majorca. So with curled lip I looked at this hotel on Tripadvisor and was buoyed by all the good reviews. They were spot on. We were all inclusive and though I do not eat red meat and my daughter is a fussy teenager - we both ate well. Yes, it gets repetative, but there is plenty to chose from daily so you CAN have a variety if you try. Failing that, after the main sittings, there are ample 'snacks' to chose from - including lovely toasties you can make yourself and salad to bulk it up. Puds I am not too bothered about but the ice creams are little tubs of Walls, so you can at least have a little something sweet. I feel they took notice of who goes there (mainly English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh - some Italians and a few Germans) , and tried to cater for their clients - ie, apple pie, custard, bread and butter pudding, rice pudding along with the usual cheaper types of cakes.

My daughter went there 13 and turned 14 while we were there. The entertainment crews were fantastic. Every age group was catered for and on the first full day there, I lost my daughter to them for the three weeks! She joined in fully with the water polo, darts, gladiators, table tennis, etc and made so many new friends it was unreal. Of course not all children are confident enough to join in, but I saw them do a wonderful job of enticing kids in and considering the entertainment staff were mostly foreign, they had a very good sense of humour (with the teen club anyway). They poked fun and had the mick taken out of them too - all with good humour.

Yes there were queues for the bar, and the sunbed situation was strange (they are chained up until 8am - and as others have said, you must get up early to get your speck)...but if you get your butt out of bed in the morning and get down there with the masses, you will get your bed and be sorted for the day. We went 9th Aug and it was full to bursting. By the tail end of the 2nd week (around 23rd ish) it went a bit quieter daily. I will concede that the bigger pool is considerably colder than the smaller one as it is in the shade quite a bit, but you must bear in mind that this is a family hotel and apart from smaller babies, kids dont mind the cold water and are in it all day whatever! As an adult I did miss not being able to do the odd 'length' in the pool, but again, its a family hotel and barring a dip to cool down, I think the pools are quite rightly filled with happy kids.

The location is fab. There is a locked gate at the back that opens onto a green area and small park with swings/climbing frame etc, then the beach. The beach is spotless, there is a fab pontoon anchored off shore with a small diving board on and if you go early enough, you have it to yourself and can pretend you are bobbing on one of the luxury yachts that come in to the bay too. Lots of banana boats, jet ski rides etc, and not too badly priced (compared to Cyprus anyway!). The promenades are beautiful and clean and joy of joys (as far as my daughter was concerned) a McDonalds at the end of the stretch!

I can not say enough about this place. My daughter has informed me we ARE going back next year, and I really can not see why I wouldnt want to go back. I will try and convince my sister to take her partner and his girls too as I just know they would have a ball.

Room Tip: We were 9th Floor of Tordos which faced pool, main stage, and a glimpse of the sea (although there a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
basingstoke
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Im afraid I was very disappointed with this hotel, after the excellent traveller ratings and reviews on trip advisor I was really looking forward to my holiday.

We stayed in the Tordos, which really is the poor relation, as the mirlos is much more modern, bright and airy, although we ended up eating at the Tordos most of the time because the queue for food was not quite as long as the Mirlos restaurant, where it really did feel like feeding time at the zoo.

My most vivid memories of this hotel will be queue, queue, queue, we had to queue every time we wanted a drink, (you need to employ another bartender), sometimes you were waiting there in the sweltering heat for ages, we queue for the lifts, we que for the sunbeds at the crack of dawn otherwise there was no chance of getting one, even although at the start of the holiday we were adamant that we would not do this.

The size of the pools were absolutely ridiculous for the amount of people staying there, two huge hotels all trying to squeeze into 2 small pools, the larger of the two pools was absolutely freezing because it was in the shade all day, so the smallest pool was packed, and then half the pool was sectioned off in the afternoon for water polo, where an accident is waiting to happen, with the ball constantly being thrown at full force around the sunbeds where unsuspecting people were trying to relax, there really is not enough room or a big enough pool for those sort of games.

The food was ok but the most repetitive of any hotel I've ever stayed at, the salad and puddings were very poor, and I did not experience the friendly staff that was mentioned, it doesn't take much effort to put a smile on your face, and the amount of times I said thanks to be given a dirty look for my efforts.

The room was absolutely tiny, we had three single beds in our room and you could not walk between them, we ended up putting them together so there was a narrow gap round the sides.

The only good thing I can say about this hotel was the evening entertainment was good for the kids, and the animation team did a good job, especially the guy in the purple suit at the horror show who had my husband and I in fits of laughter.

Im afraid this is my honest opinion of this hotel, it was the high season, but even still, you pay a lot of money for the holiday and needed another holiday to get over it, it was far too over crowded and I would not go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

Just spent 10 nights with my husband and daughter aged 5. We had a fantastic time and my daughter had the best holiday ever. The entertainment and pool is great. The rooms are fine as is the food. The only downfall was the sunbed situation. You had to get up at 7 and sit where u wanted your beds which opens at 8. If you don't you won't get a spec. Same for night time entertainment not enough seats. This wouldn't stop us from going back though because the hotel is great otherwise and you get around it eventually. Definitely recommend and looking to book again for next August.

• Stayed August 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

My children (11 and 15) and I just returned from all inclusive holiday. There are two hotels mirlos and tordos, we stayed in the sol tordos. The choice and quality of food available was great, even with two fussy eating boys!
The entertainment during the day and evening was brilliant, I especially enjoyed the Beatles tribute band and the archery.
The beaches are a few minutes walk away and have loads of water sports available.
Post office and chemist opposite hotel, shops just a 5 minute walk away.
Highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again.
Hope you have a lovely holiday as we did.

• Stayed August 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

We decided to go all inclusive on our holiday this year and this hotel was well worth it. From the minute of booking in the staff were very friendly and very helpful.

The entertainment team didn't stop and were always happy.

The food was plenty and always a good selection every day.

We stayed in the Mirlos side as out of season so only one half of the hotel open so meant queing at the bar alot !!

Would deff go back to this hotel again :-)

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Hotel Sol Mirlos/Tordos? Share your experiences!