“Food OK, but they would NOT let us pay in Euros!” 2 of 5 stars

C/Correria, 147 - 149, 01001 Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain
+34 945142755
Improve this listing
Reserve with
El Portalon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 285 Restaurants in Vitoria-Gasteiz
Good for: Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Cheshire
“Food OK, but they would NOT let us pay in Euros!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

A group of us ate here as we had had the restaurant recommended to us. Maybe we went on the wrong night, because, although the service was good, the food was at best OK. I started with grilled octopus which was burnt and tough, followed by "suckling pork", their English translation of a dish. Although it sounded good, it looked just like a slab of meat when it arrived, and the taste was unexceptional. The thing is, this restaurant is not cheap and I felt that, for these prices, we should have had better food. The wine was local and good - though again, not cheap - which was something.
My big complaint came when I came to pay the bill. I agreed the total in Euros and put my credit card in their machine. The total in Euros was correct so I put in my PIN number. Imagine my surprise when the receipt printed out and they had taken the total in pounds (GBP) at a very poor exchange rate. Despite my objections, they refused to back down and insisted that nothing could be done. It left a bad taste and made me feel like I had been ripped off. Ripped off in an expensive restaurant. Not good at all!

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Baltimore, Maryland
“A trip to the past”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The restaurant is expensive. The food was scrumptious and the service was very attentive. The streets around the restaurant moved us to medieval times.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Madrid, Spain
“Medieval tavern”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

The food is very good but pricey. However, El Portalon is most popular for the atmosphere. It is a converted old medieval tavern turned restaurant with michelin listing. The waiters are all dressed in antique farmers' costume. The walk from city center to restaurant is quite far but pleasant.

Visited August 2012
Paris, France
“Pricey but worth the splurge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

This restaurant is expensive but the atmosphere is so spectacular that it is definitely worth the splurge. It is immaculately restored and you feel like you have stepped back in time. I thought the food was quite good and beautifully presented. In addition, the service was very attentive. In spite of the prices, the restaurant was doing a booming business. I noticed lots of Spanish businessmen there, most likely taking clients to lunch on an expense account. We had discovered this restaurant quite by accident coming down from the cathedral in the morning and the magnificent building caught my eye immediately. Then we realized it was a restaurant and that it was in our guidebook so we decided to stay in town a few hours longer than we had planned, just to have lunch there. No regrets!

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain
“Wonderful atmosphere but a bit expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

This is maybe the most wellknown restaurant in Vitoria-Gasteiz.
Everyone in the city knows where it is, but not so many have tried its food as it has a fame of expensive, and truly is.
I went with some work colleagues to visit it. It was really nice atmosphere, the building, a middle ages building is nicely restored and you can see many original items around, like the well inside the building.
The service is also great. But then the food is good, but not excellent, I mean it is nothing special as I would hope for the price of their menu.
It is something to taste and for sure I will go back with more friends in the future, but a bit expensive for what is offered.
Taste it and let me know what do you think.

• Visited July 2011