“Rude staff; dirty rooms” 3 of 5 stars

You added Adore Plaza to your Saves list
Adore Plaza
Plaza de la Constitucion 6-10, 20.003 San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain   |
Stockholm, Sweden
“Rude staff; dirty rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

We stayed in the Adore Plaza for two nights in July. At 60 euro a night for a private twin room (with shared bath) it was a great deal. The location is fantastic; it is in Constitution Plaza which is a beautiful plaza that was once used as a site for bullfights. We had a balcony overlooking the plaza, which of course was loud in the evenings but we very much enjoyed the view.

However, our stay at this hotel was very much marred by our experience with the staff and the state of the rooms. Firstly, the hotel was very busy and there was always a wait for the toilets and showers. Secondly, the room itself was dirty and musty. My boyfriend, who almost never has allergic reactions, got very sick from the mounds of cat hair left under the beds. Thirdly, the old man at the hotel (whose English comes and goes when it's convenient for him) was consistently rude to us. There are signs on the back of the room doors that clearly state hotel payment policy: check out is at 12 PM, pay the morning you leave, and while they prefer cash cards are accepted. After our first night, the old man stopped my boyfriend in the hall (who does not speak spanish) and demanded that we pay. I went out in the hall (I do speak Spanish) to speak with him. I agreed to go ahead and pay, since it didn't really matter, and he refused to take my credit card. He told me the card reader was broken and to go get cash and come back. I said no way and he said fine, bring cash tonight. I said no cash and they would just have to wait til they fixed the card reader. He gave up and wrote down my card information and later the son was there and he ran my card through the magically fixed card reader since his father hadn't copied the information down correctly. The next day, the old man tried to start shooing us out of our room at 11:30 even though check out was not for another half hour. He kept stopping me in the hall telling me it was time to go (it was not).

Overall, a good deal in a good location but I would definitely consider spending your money elsewhere. I would not return here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

The Plaza Adore had the only reasonably-priced room available for our family of four during a two-night summer stay in the beautiful town of San Sebastian. I only have a couple of good things to report about this hotel, though I should preface my mostly negative review by saying that my husband and I are in our mid-40s and were travelling with two kids, ages 11 and 8. Plaza Adore would probably be a fine choice for younger, budget-minded travelers, and especially those not travelling with kids.

On the positive side, the location of Plaza Adore on the vibrant Plaza de la Constitucion and within walking distance of Playa de la Concha, is perfect. The view onto the square was lovely, and the kids enjoyed sitting on the narrow (and somewhat treacherous) balcony, as well as running around the plaza while we watched from above or from the terrace restaurant facing the square. We also enjoyed the proximity of nice restaurants, lively tapas bars, and shops. For location alone, I gave Plaza Adore an extra star. The price was also definitely right. We paid about $100/night for a room with four twin beds . . . a bargain for San Sebastian smack in the middle of summer! Now for the problems:

-Our room was TINY. There were four twin beds squished into the space. They literally took up the entire floor space, and we could only open up our suitcases if we placed the bags on top of our beds. I wasn’t expecting luxury accommodations, but I was expecting to be able to walk from one end of the room to the other without crawling over beds!

-While our room was tidy and clean, the common areas and hallway were dingy, dark, and drab . . . definitely a little creepy!

-The stairway leading up to the Plaza Adore apartment (like the apartment itself) was very poorly lit, and the stairs were slippery and slanted. One night, my kids were playing around on the stairs, and my older daughter tripped and ended up in the emergency room till well past Midnight with a badly sprained ankle. (The owners did help us locate the nearest urgent care center, and showed us on a map how to get there, though it wasn’t very close, and it was pouring rain!)

-The beds were hard and the towels were sparse.

-Our room faced the plaza directly and was very noisy all through the night, with young people shouting, dancing, and singing. It made for relatively sleepless nights, but it was also fun to reminisce on our younger, more carefree days, backpacking through Europe!

If I had to do it over again, I would certainly have planned our San Sebastian stay much farther in advance for a better selection of accommodations. The Plaza Adore is hardly a luxury hotel (nor does it purport to be), but the location and price can’t be beat. And, it was ultimately a valuable experience for the kids to “rough it” a little and have the experience of sharing a bathroom and shower with other guests.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the plaza have a nice view, but they are very noisy at night. The room that claims...
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

After being at the hotel for only an hour, I woke up to 3 very engorged bed bugs crawling on me and on the bed. I killed them and showed them to the gentleman and older woman that were running the facility. The gentleman told me they were nothing, and the woman suggested we change rooms. When we were gathering our belongings we found another bug - the gentleman just laughed. Both of them acted as if this was a normal occurrence. In the next room I found two more bugs and chose to leave first thing in the morning. The older lady was understanding, but the man (who I assume was her husband) was very angry and didn't think it was appropriate for us to leave without showing us the other bugs that we found. It was in the middle of the night and I flushed them down the toilet. All in all it was very disturbing for me - and having stayed in Europe for a month at that point this place was the first place that had them.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

Our third floor room (there was an elevator) with a balcony overlooked Plaza de la Constitucion in the Old City. It was two-minute walk to many reasonably priced tapas bars and a five-minute walk to the beach. For many nights, we attended the annual International Film Festival, a safe 10-minute walk away.

The pension had three bathrooms (two with showers) for five rooms. Our room had a small refrigerator, but no cooking facilities at the pension. It was very clean with a large, flat-screen TV. The owner (Santi) was very personable and helped with questions and directions.

The one downside was that Spaniards party far into the night, and our balcony room was right above it all. That seemed a small price to pay for the other benefits.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

We spent two nights at Adore Plaza. It's location is perfect. Our room had a view of Plaza de la Constitution which is always busy but never had a problem with noise during night. Staff was very friendly. If you're travelling by car, be prepared to leave the car in a parking place, free parking areas are quite far from the center.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

Stayed here the night before making our way to Pamplona. It is located inside the pedestrian old quarter just off the main square where the cafe's and clock tower is at - make sure you look for the sign on the window if not you'll probably miss it! We were greeted by a cute spanish elderly who's english was astoundingly perfect! She was so cute kept telling us her life story!! I don't usually stay in hostels but this was really the only option considering it was San Fermin period. Don't let the outside fool you (with its sqeaky stairs and dark sensored hall lights) the place is pretty updated and secured! Modern rooms with a flat screen even! 3 toilet facilties and clean towels - I was thinking this is even better than most hotels we stayed at! The place is actually managed by the elderly's son (young nice fella) although, as expected the place was rather rowdy during the night especially when people came back to the hostel. The only sketchy thing was that they had to take our passport for holding when we checked in but gave it back to us at night which was weird. Overall, I would recommend to people on a budget and want a clean, friendly place to sleep.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

My friend and I spent two nights here and were overall very pleased. We paid 50 euros a night for a simple double room. The room was very bright and cheery, and even had a small flat screen TV. We loved the cute balcony overlooking the Plaza de la Constitucion, but if you´re a light sleeper you might prefer an interior room because it gets noisy. Young Santi who runs the place is very welcoming and willing to help, giving tips and directions. The only negatives I can think of were that the older gentleman who worked there was not as pleasant as Santi and it was a bit dirty under the beds! All in all though, it was a great stay, and I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Adore Plaza? Share your experiences!