“Dated and unfriendly” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Avenida

You added Avenida to your Saves list
Avenida
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo de Igueldo 55, 20008 San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain   |
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Dated and unfriendly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We booked a one night stay here through a 3rd party booking company (hotels 4u). I mistakenly booked the wrong date; completely my fault.

We were informed by the hotel that we could cancel the booking and obtain a full refund but that we would have to pay upfront for another room if we wanted to stay that night (at an increased rate). This was no problem, and we did so. We subsequently found that we could not obtain a refund, which, whilst not necessarily being the hotel's fault directly, is something they should not have commented upon if they did not know the definite position (we probably would have found somewhere cheaper had we known we would not have been able to get a refund).

We were only staying for one night and when I asked if the lady on reception if they had an ironing board, I was simply told 'no'. The abruptness of the answer took me aback so I enquired whether it just the case that they were all being used by other guests. I was again met with the same abrupt reply 'no' (this time followed by a shrug of the shoulders).

On returning to my room I found a plastic back which appeared to be for a laundry service. I went back to the reception and asked if there was, instead, a laundry service. I was told that there was but that it would not be available until the next day as the lady who did it was not there. It was clear that the hotel had ironing facilitates but simply would not fallow the use of such facilities. I have never stopped at a hotel where it is impossible for you to ensure that an iron has been run over your clothes, in one form or another. However, it was the lack of care and level of customer service that displeased me the most. It was as if I was a nuisance for making such an outlandish request! Not once was the word 'no' followed by the word 'sorry' (despite the receptionist's English being perfect).

The hotel itself is ok. The room was very dated though and desperately needs a facelift (other rooms may be better, I'm not sure).

All in all, a reasonably located hotel but the customer service leaves a sour taste.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
San Francisco, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This hotel is on a hill close to the tram which leads to an overview of San Sebastian. There is free hotel parking so this is a good place to stay if you are driving. It is a short drive to La Concha beach and Old Town. There is plenty of downtown parking by the beach but be prepared to pay around 20E for all day; it was well worth it Avenida personnel were very helpful and professional. Hotel and room had marble floors and very clean with nice amenities. The breakfast was included in the price and was good with various breads, yogurt, fruit, and choice of coffee. The breakfast attendants were also very nice. We would definitely stay there again.

Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We enjoy walking, this hotel is a ways out of town, up a rather steep hill, but suited us well. For those who are driving there seems to be ample free parking. We found groceries, restaurants not far and breakfast is available on site. We enjoyed a spacious room, very clean and bright with comfortable beds. There is a swimming pool with a lovely terrace and the staff was professional and friendly. We would recommend this to anyone wanting a quiet retreat away from the mainstream of the bustle of the city.

Room Tip: Rooms on the pool side, away from the parking lot would likely be quietest and have best views...
aude
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

The room was fine, the position of the hotel is a little out of town so a short walk to the bus stop gets you in to town easily, The big problem for us was the fact that the walls are very thin and the people in the room next to us decided to invite about 6 others in and at 2 in the morning I had to go to reception to ask for help. At 4 am I went back to reception and at 5 am I rang reception. When we checked out the next morning the girl on reception was very offhand and told us that the night porter had sorted the problem. When I said that that was not the case, she grinned and said it wasn't her problem she hadn't been on duty. We were given a 10% reduction on the room. But if you are a light sleeper, don't want a party all night or would like more helpful staff I would suggest you try another hotel. We have stayed in Donostia before and many other cities and have never experienced anything like this before.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
EDURNEVARGA, Director General at Avenida, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for your review, I am sorry that your stay was not good for you. I enclose the receptionist´s comments:
In response to this complaint, I would like to add (as receptionist that attended these guests on check out) that my impression of the treatment given to them is different to the one they have.
I was informed by the night porter about the noise problems during the night. He phoned them to ask them silence and told them about the next door complaints. Few minutes later two people left the room so he thought that the problem was solved. Next morning, I was told by the guest that the noises continued during the night.
They were very upset and this is a matter that I understood at the moment and I still do. But I do not understand why they were so upset with me in particular; there was few I could do to solve the problem at 8 o clock in the morning I did apologize several times and tried to empathize with them but they were not receptive to my apologies. I finally offered a discount as reward and apologized again. I still think that there was not much more I could do.
I am really sorry that their stay was not as pleasant as they wished. My apologies
Lochwinnoch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

This small hotel is about 30 minutes walk from the city, down a steep hill , which means a steep hill going back. Not for people who do not like walking. That is the negative part. Very clean and comfortable place. Free Wi-Fi. The breakfast cost 9 euros, but there is plenty of choice. Staff very helpful and the views are fantastic.

• Stayed June 2013
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Required a decent lodging with free parking and this hotel fit the bill. Initially wanted to book Hotel Leku as reviews of the view were very good there but it was booked out. Hotel Avenida fulfilled our requirements perfectly. The room was overlooking the car park but for €80 couldn't complain, I wasn't there for the room and the city was a short bus ride away. If you're able bodied, the walk to the town is pretty pleasant also.

Room Tip: I don't know if the rooms with a view charged more but I wouldn't be willing to pay more for...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Varese, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

in reality wished to stay in a pension or even one-star hotel in downtown, closed to everything but with their highest rates plus parking, expenses were high over expected... SS became very expensive in the last years...

Is located side perched on Mount Igeldo a little bit isolated, walking down to the beach and passing through a nice neighborhood (Ondarreta) takes 10 minutes; if walking all the way through the coastline (Ondarreta and La Concha beaches) reaching downtown, the city's old part, takes around 50 minutes, but 50 minutes of pleasant walking... lots of people walk there, jog or bike through that promenade... if dont't want to walk, the bus-stop is close to the hotel (bus number 16, fare 1,55 euros each way) or take a cab either way from or to the hotel costs less than 10 euros, not that bad...

Is a nice three star hotel, nice spacious rooms complete of everything needed, towels, toiletries, a minibar, efficient working wifi, safebox but have to say that they aren't immaculate clean, you know some little dust in corner areas, some little painting coming off from the walls not a major disturb... but the best is the view, most of the rooms have this splendid panoramic view of SS... very nice to sit down, relax and watch the sunrise or sunset from the room with a drink... they have also a pool (nice to use during summertime), a gym which we never used, the same for breakfast services... no restaurant in the hotel but just outside the hotel there is one restaurant.

Reception staff is helpful and efficient... informed them about the shutters from our window which didn't work and the toitlet dripping; was solved when we were back.

Our stay, during bank holidays but low season was good, I will think the same with the mid-season but the high season (July-August) I don't know how hot can be... found 2 (yes 2!!) tower fans inside the closet... definetely would avoid SS on those months...

For us the major plus was the parking... parking in SS can be very expensive for entire days and the parking inspectors in the streets are always around... not a place to stay if travelling with public transport, this is a very good place to stay if travelling with own vehicle...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Avenida? Share your experiences!