“Location just barely makes up for in room shortcomings.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tryp Orly

You added Tryp Orly to your Saves list
Tryp Orly
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Plaza de Zaragoza 4, 20007 San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain   |
Hotel virtual tour
Hotel deals
Special Offer
up to -15% MeliáRewards
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Location just barely makes up for in room shortcomings.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Location is great! Middle of the beach is basically across the street (though other side of buildings), very short walk to old town, the river, and other sites.

They provide beach towels at the front desk, don't worry about sneaking a room towel out. :)

After those positives it goes down hill. Reception was very slow when we checked in and appeared to be when I saw others checking in. Also got short one word answers which were not helping our questions.

Bathroom had what look like mold or mildew above the shower that tried to be cleaned up very half assed.

Vinyl or some other type of flooring covered the rest of the room, which after a couple days there just felt uncomfortable. Yeah, a little picky, but spend a few days in a place at their rates and you'll see.

They also have a known issue with room keys demagnetizing. Had to get ours reprogrammed 3 times in as many days.

All in all, the mold/mildew in the bathroom really was unacceptable, the other issues were minor but worth noting. Location is great!

• Stayed August 2013
LuisTorrico, Director General at Tryp Orly, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Hello Abe s,

Thank you for your comments.

Every comment we receive is invaluable for us and I would like to tell you that all the reviews are considered and studyed by our Guest Experience and Operations department.

I bitterly regret the inconveniences we have caused. We wish to let you know that we will be doing everything we can to resolve these matters.
I would very much wish to see you once again in the hotel, and it would give me immense pleasure to welcome you personally.

Regards,

Luis Torrico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The hotel is very well located. Our room was well sized, clean and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast buffet was especially good and included smoked salmon, which we found at no other hotel that we stayed at during this trip to Spain. Staff was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello TWalls_11,

My name is Luis Torrico. I'm general manager at Tryp San Sebastian Orly.

These comments encourage us to continue carrying out our daily work and provide our passionate travelers visiting the city, unforgettable experiences.

Thank you!!!
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The hotel is across the street from “La Concha” beach and a ten minute walk from the city center, the reason we chose to stay. Although we asked for a room no higher than third floor, the hotel actually starts at the 7th floor, so we ended up on the 10th floor.
We did not have a multi-language desk-size “Welcome guide” in the room with important phone numbers, TV operation or channels or local restaurants. The door key-card holder has some basic information, but it, and a passport-size paper guide given at registration does not have the hotel address and phone number. The text for the document is extremely small.
The room has imitation wood vinyl flooring. Although easy to clean, it does not offer noise insulation. Neighbours walking in shoes above or maids vacuuming resonate in the room.
There are few shelves available for clothing. The closet provided is taken up by one clothing rack and desk drawers are very shallow. If the rack were placed a few inches off center of the cupboard, there would be enough space to add shelves.
The safe provided is large but is below knee level and so hard to operate. It is attached to a movable shelf and not to a wall.
Although there are many Wi-Fi connections in the area, all “Orly-provided” are not secured, yet the front desk gives a log-in and password.
The air conditioner works on some sort of built-in timer which gives an unexpected strange humming sound when it starts.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
LuisTorrico, Director General at Tryp Orly, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Hello JPA_ES,
My name is Luis Torrico and I'm general manager at Tryp San Sebastián Orly.
Thanks for your comments, they help us to improve every day.
No doubt that we will consider!
Thanks and see you soon
San Francisco, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We spent 3 days here in mid-summer & were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is not a bargain but relative to rates, it was probably mid-range. Our room was clean & had a reasonable amount of room for an EU hotel. The view was superb & the location is incredible - you are right off the beach & beautiful 5 minute walk to the pinxto bars. Our check-in time took 30m+ because there was one guy on duty & he was going out of his way to be especially helpful to the couple in front of us. Wonderful if you are them, maddening if you are us. All and all, we should have done AirBnB as there are some great opportunities in this safe & friendly city, but this was a respectable alternative

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LuisTorrico, Director General at Tryp Orly, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Jake A,
My name is Luis Torrico, and I'm general manager at Tryp San Sebastián Orly.
I would like to thank you for choosing to stay in our hotel. I am grateful to you for your comments via Tripadvisor.
Yours sincerely
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The location of the hotel is perfect. Close to the city and with amazing views of the „Playa de la Concha“.
We were really impresed by the staff friendliness, they were available at all times, which is not easy to find nowadays.
On the ground floor there is a small hall to rest with tasteful decoration and a breakfast buffet with views to the street. The breakfast was great and many-sided.
The only downside is the parking situation. Since the hotel is in the city center, you can’t park on the street. But they have a private parking with supervision. It costs 22€ per night.
I would recommend the rooms in the fifth floor. They are big and have great views of the city.
We have been here twice and would definitely come back again.

Room Tip: Definitely on the fifth floor, bigger and with great views to the city
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
LuisTorrico, Director General at Tryp Orly, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Hello Brenda M,

Firstly we would like to thank you for having stayed at Tryp San Sebastián Orly.

We would also like to let you know that we sincerely appreciate your opinion in Tripadvisor.

Your cooperation is very important for us because our objective is to do it better each time.

We will be very pleased to welcome you back in San Sebastián in any future occassion.

Yours sincerely,

Luis Torrico - General Manager.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The room smelled like chips and rotton veg. There was cracks in the bathroom tiles and black marks up the door frames, the location is excellent and the staff are friendly but i wouldnt choose to stay here again. There was a fire alarm while we were there and the staff were brilliant especially the lovely cleaning lady, she showed us down the back way out, there was a strong smell of electrical burning but when we got back later everything was ok. I would say its very overrated as a 4 star as we regularly stay in 4 star hotels on business and does not compare to these 2 to 3 star at best. San Sebastian is a lovely place and i would visit the city again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
LuisTorrico, Director General at Tryp Orly, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Caroline B,
I would like to introduce myself. My name is Luis Torrico and I'm General Manager at Tryp San Sebastián Orly.
Thank you for your kind comments which I shall share with my colleagues, your cooperation is very important for us because our objective is to do it better each time.
I am glad to say that the smell of electrical burning was fixed by our staff as soon as possible. It was a problem outside our facilities.
If you decide to comeback to San Sebastián it will be happy to greet you personally.

Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed in the Junior Suite. It was basic, unattractive and slightly dirty. We rang to order the room service (which is actually take out from the local pizza place) and the staff were too busy so said they would call back in a few minutes. Half an hour later they weren't answering the phone so I went to the desk myself. They apologised for forgetting.
Pizza was not great.
Overall, the stay was adequate for a bed to sleep in, but in no way added to the trip to Donostia.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear SydneyVanessa,
My name is Luis Torrico, and I'm general manager at Tryp San Sebastián Orly.
Firstly, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay in our hotel whilst visiting our city. I am grateful to you for your comments via Tripadvisor, as we wish very much to meet all of our customers’ expectations.
Yours sincerely
Luis Torrico

Been to Tryp Orly? Share your experiences!