“Close to Beach, Nice Room” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tryp Orly

You added Tryp Orly to your Saves list
Tryp Orly
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Plaza de Zaragoza 4, 20007 San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersSilver level
Livermore, California
“Close to Beach, Nice Room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We had an excellent time at the Tryp Orly. The staff was very welcoming and accommodating. Our room was nice and had an excellent view. There is underground parking, though expensive, that is great convenience. It is a half-block away from the beach and walking distance to the old town.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
LuisTorrico, Gerente at Tryp Orly, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Karen,
My name is Luis Torrico and I am the hotel manager. It was a pleasure to hear from you.Thank you for your kind comments which I shall share with my colleagues.

It would be a pleasure to see you on your next visit.
Your sincerely
Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Turkish first
Athens, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This hotel is overrated at four stars. It is more a three-star hotel, in a good location near the beach. The room was adequate and clean--nothing fancy. The bathroom was very small. There was a wall-mounted dispenser of a combination shampoo/body gel at the sink and in the shower. The AC did not work and the room was hot. I burned up the first night and opened the windows the second night. There was street noise, but the room temperature was better. The man on duty when I checked in spoke some English but didn't know how to ask me what county I lived in in the US. The cleaning lady (I guess) had written "Bienvenida a Donostia" in blue marker on the mirror, a welcoming gesture but not something I'm used to seeing in the kind of hotels I usually stay in. I would look elsewhere in San Sebastian for another hotel, even if I had to pay a little more.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
LuisTorrico, Gerente at Tryp Orly, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Hello Mr. SeniorSolo50,

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Luis Torrico, and I'm general manager at Tryp San Sebastián Orly.
Firstly, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay in our hotel whilst visiting our city. I am grateful to you for your comments via Tripadvisor, as we wish very much to meet all of our customers’ expectations.
I bitterly regret the inconveniences we have caused. We wish to let you know that we will be doing everything we can to resolve these matters.
I am pleased to say that the fault affecting the air conditioning was fixed by our engineers as soon as they were notified of it.
Finally, on behalf of the whole HR team at TRYP San Sebastián Orly, I trust that this incident will in no way dissuade you from visiting our hotel again in the future, at which time I give you my personal assurance that your stay will be totally satisfactory.
Regards,

Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Excellent location, just across from La Concha beach and a few minutes walk to old town. The outside of the building looks awful. The corridors inside don't look a lot better. But don't be deterred. We thought our room was quite nice. The bed was the most comfortable we slept in during our 3 week trip through Spain. The view from the room was lovely. It does need some updating - chipped paint, tiles, signs of wear and tear, etc. however, none of this negatively impacted our stay. And considering the price of all of the accommodations in the San Sebastián area, this is a really good value. Don't expect 5 star, and if you go in with realistic 3-star expectations, you should be quite pleased.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
LuisTorrico, Gerente at Tryp Orly, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Hello Annamc17,

Thank you for your comments!!!!.

Your cooperation is very important for us because our objective is to do it better each time.

We will endeavor to improve on the aspects you described.

We will be very pleased to welcome you back in San Sebastián in any future occassion.

Yours sincerely,

Luis Torrico - General Manager.
Wexford Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel is so well situated...close to the beach, & the city. While it Lacks in atmosphere it makes up in location. Breakfast is really good here & open until 11am..plenty of time for a nice rest after a busy day in a super city. We stayed in a standard room & it was very pleasant. Reception staff all speak english & are very helpful. Dont expect great views from
the tryp & it isnt the nicest looking building in san sebastian. We did miss a bar here as you come back in the evening. Nothing really in the immediate area either so it's straight to your room. Within a three min walk your at another hotel with a good bar. Despite this we liked the tryp orly but didn't like the €24.50 car park charge per day, but we knew about this before we booked so that's our tough!! Very secure all the same.

• Stayed May 2013
LuisTorrico, Gerente at Tryp Orly, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Good Afternoon A P:

My name is Luis Torrico. I'm general manager to Tryp San Sebastián Orly.

Firstly we would like to thank you for having stayed at our hotel.

We would also like to let you know that we sincerely appreciate your opinion in Tripadvisor.

Regarding your comments about the price of parking, we confirm that we have decided to adjust the rates to satisfy our customers.

Yours sincerely,

Luis Torrico - General Manager.
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Hotel in great location, it's not on front row of hotels to beach but only 1 block back so only few minutes walk to beach but still much cheaper than hotels on promenade.
Breakfast usual continental style but fine.
Hotel has small bar but with so many places to its pretty quiet.
Rooms nice, ask for upper floor as view much better.
Hotel has A/C which you need in summer and staff very helpful.
Well worth a look if you plan staying in this area.

Room Tip: Ask for top levels for better view and also away from street noise
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
LuisTorrico, Gerente at Tryp Orly, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Mr. Tom S:

Firstly we would like to thank you for having stayed at Tryp San Sebastián Orly hotel.

We would also like to let you know that we sincerely appreciate taking the time to send us your opinion.

Gandia, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

When two friends my wife and I booked this hotel we thought it was cheap at around 70 euros per night. However, when you add on another 25 euros per day for parking, 32 euros for breakfast, and 40 euros for a sea view it is not. The facilities are either not available or poor. The air con did not work and the room was stifling. We had to open the windows which faced on to a busy street and was therefore very noisy. The room was small by most standards and the furniture tired and old fashioned. There was no adequate ventilation in the bathroom which meant bad smells lingered and every time you used hot water the mirror and wall surfaces ran with water. The shower screen did not seal against the bath so when showering water ran onto the floor. There were no toiletries provided other than a cheap and nasty squeezy bottle fixed to the wall. There was no room service other than a take away menu from a nearby pizza delivery service. Even this, if booked through the hotel, attracted extra charges. All in all a very disappointing stay. When leaving I specifically asked for the bill to be charged in euros. This was agreed and a bill printed in euros. It was not until we were leaving that I realised that my credit card had still been changed to pounds incurring a 2% mark up and a very poor exchange rate. There was also a statement saying that we had been offered a choice of payments and had agreed to pay in sterling and that no refunds were payable. THIS WAS A LIE! The manager did eventually refund this when challenged but it should not have happened. I would not stay here again and could not recommend anyone else to do so.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. There are other, better hotels available nearby.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
LuisTorrico, Gerente at Tryp Orly, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Good afternoon Mr. Bill T,

First of all, we want to thank you for having chosen our hotel, and the time that you have dedicated to express your opinion.

Comments like yours are those who help us improve for the future. We sincerely regret that you where not satisfied with the stay in our Hotel and have taken note of his observations for the realization of plans of action in these areas.

As per our mail, we have been refunded you the different bewten euros and pounds, if any additional details are necessary, please contact me directly.

Please, don't hesitate to contac me if you visite San Sebastián again, I assure you that if you decide to return to the Tryp San Sebastián Orly, we will do our best to ensure that your stay is as pleasant and enjoyable as possible.

Yours sincerely

Berri, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Parking on Friday afternoon was a challenge but Orly had goOd access- english speaking reception - friendly and helpful-stayed in room 306 with sea view cost extra e45 worth the extra - great central location surrounded by Tapas Bars ( great for friday night drinks) and 50 metres from Beach- downside; rooms slightly noisy from guests in room above

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Tryp Orly? Share your experiences!