“Beside it all literally” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Gran Bahia Bernardo to your Saves list
Gran Bahia Bernardo
Gran Bahia Bernardo
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Embeltran, 16 1-D, 20003 San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain   |
“Beside it all literally”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights and it was clean and nice. The only downside was the noise. The walls were paper thin. But great location.close to shopping, restraints and beach.the couple in the room behind us kept us up with an argument, but we got our own back when we left at 6 in the morning and woke them!

• Stayed October 2012

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The location was perfect but the walls are ridiculously paper thin. The pension is like an apartment - with around 6-8 rooms in total.

One woman spoke english but the gentleman who greeted us when we arrived did not speak English at all.

Our room was nice and appeared clean but the bathroom did have a strange smell to it. Not sure if it was the plumbing or drains but it was definitely clean as we saw the staff cleaning regularly.

I would happily stay here again. The location is perfect, and despite the noise and language barriers, our room suited our needs for the two nights we were in San Sebastian.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sale, Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is a very small family run hotel in the old city San Sebastian. it is in an excellent location. They give you free water which is great. You have to walk around the corner for a continental breakfast which is very simple but ok. The rooms are very small but to be expected given the central location. The rooms were very clean and well kept.We had to move rooms after one night as bookings were at capacity. I would recommend this hotel for a short stay

Room Tip: Ask for the largest room available
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Previous reviews have not been great and I'm not sure why. We booked a superior room (#7) from Booking.com and it was one of the best and quietest stays we've had in the Parte Vieja. The air con works wonderfully and continues to run, even when the room power is turned off. I've stayed in many 4 star hotels that had no air con once you left the room and removed the room card.

The washroom has 2 sinks and lots of room to put toiletries. The closet is almost a walk-in room, with so many drawers and lace curtains over the glass window panes. Very stylish.

The bedroom has a balcony overlooking the street but the modern windows keep most of the noise out. Turn on the air con / fan for extra white-noise.

The bed was one of the most comfortable we had in a month-long visit through Spain (#1 is La Villa Marbella and I hope to write a review of that soon but it will be a very long one, since it's heavenly).

We appreciated the free bottled water in the common area refrigerator too.

Room Tip: Get a superior or a suite.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I stayed here for a few nights in mid June. As everyone has said, it was clean, very centrally located and the staff was helpful. The location is terrific as it is a few blocks from everything of interest: the pintxos bars, two really nice beaches, etc. Please understand that this is not a full service establishment. The interior walls are very thin and cars are restricted in most of the old town. I was there on a Friday night and the noise from the bars below went on until about 1:30 am which is the nature of SS night life. Otherwise it was usually quiet by about midnight. The windows were perfectly well made -- it is just that there is a party on the street downstairs every night and I expect it is this way in every place in the old town. The balcony I had was about 1-1/2 feet wide so you couldn't sit on it, just stand and lean out over the rail to the street below -- this is how all the balconies Iooked. The entry is under renovation and there is a narrow staircase in lieu of elevator. The complimentary breakfast is at a place with great pintxos but that is not the breakfast -- instead you get the usual basic petit dejeuner: coffee, juice and croissant; when I tried to ask about alternatives, I was ignored.

Look, this is a perfectly reasonable place and the things that are disappointing I think would be true of most of the places in the old town. My concern is that I think it was pricier than a number of the other options. If I were returning to SS (which I hope to do), I would consider this place but would spend some time looking at my options to make sure that this price is competitive with comparable places. I had an early morning flight on a Saturday which I would try to avoid, given the street noise and the difficulty of getting a cab on the blvd before 9 am on a Saturday.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

This hotel seemed absolutely perfect: great location, friendly staff, free WiFi that actually worked and huge rooms with comfy beds. But unfortunately, you could hear a pin drop at the other end of the hotel as sound seems to travel through the floorboards.

The people in the other rooms were walking around all night and in the very early hours of the morning, and we could not sleep at all. It sounded like high heels on hollow wooden floorboards, and was so loud I could hear it clearly through a pair of earplugs that normally drown out everything. Also, we could hear everything that went on in their bathroom as if it was ours.

It's not just the neighbours creating the noise either - one of the tenants above the hotel had a party during our stay, and the noise was astronomical!

Based on this, I could not recommend staying in this hotel. I can usually sleep through anything with my earplugs, and my boyfriend can sleep through anything without them, but neither of us could sleep here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

As a couple stayed here for multiple nights in June 2012. Found the staff/reception very friendly and helpful, and the location (in the middle of old town) very convenient. However the walls were very thin and therefore every door closing, water pipe etc could be heard, aswell as the construction being undertaken in the stairwell. Shower was tiny and the water came out more like a hose rather than a spray. Room was quite stuffy at night as aircon couldn't be used as it dripped water into the room and the one window let too much noise in from the street below.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Gran Bahia Bernardo? Share your experiences!