“Well located flat” 3 of 5 stars

San Juan 9, 20003 San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain   |
London, United Kingdom
“Well located flat”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Good value by San Sebastian standards, which means twice what you'd pay in Bilbao or Pamplona. Fantastic location in the thick of the old town, where all the pintxos bars are, and only a few minutes from the beaches. It's a large, clean, slightly cramped flat with a choice of double and dorm rooms sharing a couple of bathrooms and a small kitchen. Owner Jon is useful, if you can find him. Otherwise, you might well find yourself hanging around in the cafe downstairs, trying to find a gap in the waitress' attention. Probably a 3.5/5.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Kaixo. The staff who we met (Martha) was extremely pleasant and helpful. The hostel is in an apartment, about 6 rooms sharing 2 bathrooms and one kitchen. The kitchen was a lovely communal area and had a nice feel to it. Plenty of cooking implements and closed from 2300-0800 to reduce noise. We had a twin room which was small but adequate. It had 2 separate safes and a rickety shelf to place items on - nowhere to hang towels. Well lit and with great photos of the local area on the wall (and throughout the apartment).

The downside was the bathrooms. We generally try to stay in rooms with private bathrooms and don't relish sharing with others, but 2 bathrooms (each one had a toilet, shower and basin) without additionally showers meant some waiting. There were no bathmats and nowhere for surfers to wash out their gear, which mean very wet floors for much of the time.

The hostel has a deal with the cafe downstairs with a discount for lunch and dinner which seemed reasonable. The food at the cafe was very good.

The wifi (included in the price) worked all the time and was fast.

We both slept well, but the rooms at the front overlook the street (pedestrian only but can be noisy till daylight) and the rooms at the back overlook a courtyard where one can hear the restaurant kitchen. The apartment itself is quite noisy (wooden floors and banging doors) so if you're a light sleeper you may consider this a problem.

Overall the stay was pleasant, but the provision of bathmats and hanging space for towels would increase the likelihood that I would stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed in one of the double rooms at the hostel for 3 nights. Our welcome from the owner was pretty mimimal, although he did show us around the hostel and directed us to some useful information points (all whilst having a conversation on his mobile!!). We didn't really require much more than this however. The hostel is really laid back and a perfect size. It felt like home from home. The double rooms are very pleasant and quite airy and spacious for a hostel. The kitchen was excellent and the bathrooms were fine, although when the hostel was full, there was sometimes a wait to use the shower at peak times. The location is fantastic, although if you are planning on going to bed before 4.00am, take your ear plugs as its central location means that it gets very noisy at night, especially on the weekend. It did seem a little overpriced, but I think it's about average for San Sebastian. Anyway, if you go to the right bars you'll spend hardly anything on drinks and pinxos!!! In my opinion San Sebastian is quite possibly the most amazing city in spain and the Kaixo hostel contributed to this. I would definately return to the hostel, although I would take my ear plugs!!

Room Tip: all double rooms have balconies and are at the front of the hostel, so the noise level will be the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

The hostel was easy to find and about a 10 minute walk from the bus stop. It lives above the cafe owned by the hostel owner. Our room was lovely and clean with a very comfortable bed and balcony overlooking main street. Only downfall was there was nowhere to hang your clothes.. Its about a 5 minute walk to the beach. The manager was a little rude and not very helpful. The kitchen was great for cook ups and social time. The whole was small and nowhere really to hang out but your at the beach so no need to stay indoors. Internet was tempremental!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed at the Kaixo Hostel for two nights in May and overall I enjoyed my stay. There was nothing extremely special about this hostel, but the location is fantastic. I had a private room for around 20 euros, so that really couldn't be beat. It didn't have a bathroom, but there are only a few rooms in this hostel and there are two shared bathrooms (both w/ shower). I never had to wait for a bathroom and the hostel was always kept clean.

The reception hours are a little crazy. Basically the guy that works there just kinda comes and goes and then he leaves after a certain hour. I never really knew when he was there or when he wasn't, but I didn't really need much from him so it all worked out.

Pros - Private room was nice, private room came w/ fan, 5-minute walk to La Concha Beach, Tons of bars and eats all around you, great location

Cons - Small, a little harder to meet people, unknown reception hours, no internet/wifi access (tried logging onto the wifi but it didn't work)

Overall, I'd say this is a good spot if you're looking for a low-priced option near the beach, bars and eats. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

I stayed here for just 2 nights during a holiday in Spain. Having traveled to Madrid, Salamanca & Toledo, this hostel was as good if not better than some of the others I visited. Jon, the owner, was very nice and reasonable to me. I have read some other reviews that said he's not friendly - that was not the case in my situation. He communicated with me via e-mail before my visit and gave me directions. He also introduced me to other travelers staying at the hostel, and gave me a map of the city. I stayed in an upstairs bedroom, there was a very nice bathroom that was just shared by 3 of us. The location is amazing - right where you want to be. Enjoy San Sebastian, it's a wonderful little city.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
leevee79
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

My partner and I booked a double private room for our first two nights in San Sebastian. Upon arrival we were told to leave our bags in the hall and come back in an hour so that our room could be prepared. When we went back the door to our room was open so we assumed that it was ok to go in... a couple of minutes later the owner came in and started telling us off, removing our bags from the room and telling us to get out so he could sweep. There were a number of times that he made us and others feel uncomfortable. I really just wanted to get out of there so we moved to Pension Edorta which was a relief -they were very welcoming.
The room that we stayed in was built on a platform that I stubbed my toes on a few times and was extremely noisy.... you could even hear the floor being swept through the walls. To look at the place is actually really quite nice and modern - has a bit of an IKEA look and feel to it.
In terms of the owners people skills, he said to us on leaving that he runs the backpackers for 6 months then goes places that he does not have to deal with people - in short he does not really enjoy the interaction and it shows.
I would not recommend Kaixo to my friends - there are too many other options in San Sebastian to put up with such a rude man!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Kaixo Hostel? Share your experiences!